In India, the banking profession is considered as one of the most prestigious jobs for freshers and experienced professionals. It’s an open secret that banks offer handsome packages, job security along with other perks to its employees. No wonder, the demand for banking professionals in the banking landscape has shown tremendous growth in the recent past and is likely to grow in the coming years. The competition among the banking aspirants is extremely high and it is getting tougher by the day.
Every year millions of aspirants apply for renowned bank exams with the hope of making it to the final list of selected candidates. However, it is easier said than done! The selection of a few thousand or hundred does not solely depend on merely enrolling to reputed coaching centres or possessing high intelligence. In order to ace the bank exams with flying colours, applicants need to prepare well and meet the standard section-wise cut-offs set by the respective banks. Only the selected few receive the Appointment Letter by the concerned bank who fulfil this criterion and are deputed in different bank branches as per the requirement.
The prominent bank exams in India are:
Candidates can check the details (Exam Dates, Selection Process, Prelims and Mains Syllabus, Eligibility etc.) at the linked articles for the bank exams mentioned above.
Here, we bring a few tips to kick-start your bank PO preparation:
- Figure out the exam pattern and syllabus: Preparing for a bank exam is not a one-day task. The key to scoring well in the competitive exams calls for a lot of time, effort and dedication of candidates during the bank exam preparation process. As an aspirant, you should be aware of the bank exam pattern to clear the bank exam with ease. The exam pattern of a bank PO exam is divided into three parts: Prelims, Mains and Interview. As a matter of fact, the Preliminary section of any bank exam is mostly identical, the Mains might vary from one bank exam to another.
Given below is the test pattern of Bank Prelims exam:
|Sections||Total no. of questions||Maximum Marks||Exam Duration|
|Quantitative Aptitude||35||35||60 Minutes Cumulative Time|
However, the Mains exam does not have any particular exam pattern and it completely depends upon the respective bank exam pattern. Listed below are the subjects which are included in the Mains exam:
a) Quantitative Aptitude
b) English Language
c) Reasoning Ability
d) General Awareness
e) Computer Awareness
Having a fair knowledge of the exam pattern puts you in a better position to kick-start your preparation and avoid last-minute surprises in the examination hall. It’s essential for you to be aware of the exam syllabus and stay updated with the topics that are included in the exam. This will help you prepare a blueprint of your bank exam preparation.
- Design a personalized study plan: While you’re aware of the bank exam syllabus, it is imperative for you to have a study plan in place. This will help you in structuring your study schedule, focus on those sections which need more attention. Besides, having a study plan will help you capture your strengths and weaknesses and work on those areas that need improvement. Following a study plan religiously while you have started your bank PO preparation helps you to keep a track of your regular performance and pay special attention to the complex topics.
- Avoid procrastination: While you have made up your mind to take the bank competitive exams soon, ensure that you do not delay your bank exam preparation till the last minute. The more you delay your studies, the more are your chances of ruining your chances to make it to the selected list. If you’re looking for banking preparation online, you can check for several bank exam preparation websites available across the internet to detect your prep progress. Study 2-3 hours every day so that you can refresh and revise old concepts and retain complex topics in your mind easily.
- Explore competitive bank preparation books and online resources: You might encounter thousands of education materials and bank exam preparation books available online for reference purposes. You can refer to dedicated bank exam preparation websites and banking exam preparation app like BYJU’S: The Learning App which provides extensive banking study materials for preparation. Besides, you can also download the study material available on the website and refer blog articles and elucidated repositories that are available online.
You can also derive sample papers, mock questions, and previous year questions and solve them to get a feel of the real exam. The more you search the web, the more acquainted you become to the best books for banking exam preparation. Interestingly, the best bank preparation books are designed by industry experts who have had a similar experience of taking the exams in their past. It is highly recommended to read and go through the best books for bank preparation which may either be available online or in hard copy format.
- Attempt a few timed mock tests: Banking applicants who are planning to take the bank exam soon should not just go ahead with a rigorous bank preparation routine but should also devote sufficient time to take simulated mock tests occasionally to track the status of their prep. They should practice sample questions by keeping a timer so that it becomes easier for them to detect their time management skills and solve the mock questions in a periodic manner. As an applicant, if you follow this strategy, you can immensely benefit from this opportunity and also boost your confidence and morale before you sit for the actual exam.
While there are innumerable candidates who opt for specialised coaching centres to prepare themselves for the competitive banking exams, there are still many aspirants who prepare on their own. If you are one of those applicants who wish to prepare at home, remember that it could become challenging and might often put you away from your comfort zone. Just ensure that during your bank exam preparation online, you can refer BYJU’S: The Learning App which is one of the best apps for bank exam preparation to increase your chances of success of scoring high in the competitive exam and come out of the entire exam process as a banker. BYJU’S has developed systematic study materials and courses which enable candidates to prepare for any of the bank exams easily and clear it successfully.
Also, read: Bank Exams 2019