The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection conducts multiple bank exams throughout the year. One of these examinations is the IBPS PO exam for selection of Probationary Officers for public sector banks. These probationary officers form the managerial core of the PSBs and go on to become the top bankers in the country. In this article, we will discuss the best IBPS PO books. We will also look at sources to find IBPS PO study material to help aspirants succeed in the exam.
IBPS PO Subjects
The bank PO examination is conducted in two stages, the prelims and mains. The syllabus and subjects have a large overlap between the two. This means that preparation for the prelims and mains can be combined. The following subjects are covered in the IBPS PO exam:
- IBPS PO Prelims:
- English Language: 30 Questions
- Quantitative Aptitude: 35 Questions
- Reasoning Ability: 35 Questions
- IBPS PO Mains:
- English Language: 35 Objective and 2 Descriptive questions
- Quantitative Aptitude: 35 objective type questions
- Reasoning and Computer Aptitude: 45 objective type questions
- General Awareness, Economy and Banking: 40 objective type questions
The syllabus for both the examinations is largely common for English, Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning.
Best Books for IBPS PO
The best books for IBPS PO cover the syllabus of the exam thoroughly. They are easy to understand and present material relevant to the bank PO syllabus and also give ample practice questions. Here is a subjectwise list of the best IBPS PO preparation books:
- English Language: Though no books apart from the traditional IBPS guides seem relevant to the PO exam at first glance, almost all the concepts covered in both stages of the examination are from these books:
- High School English Grammar and Composition by Wren and Martin. Reading this book will also improve the knowledge level and proficiency in the English language. This book is also relevant for the English descriptive test in the IBPS Probationary Officer main exam.
- How to Read Better and Faster by Norman Lewis
- Reading Comprehension,Ordering of Sentences, Ordering of Words and Cloze Test by Dilip Khushwaha
- Quantitative Aptitude: There is a multitude of books available for the Quantitative Aptitude section of the syllabus as it is common to PO and management entrance exams. However, the best books for this subject are
- Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Examinations by R.S Agarwal
- The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude by Dinesh Khattar
- Reasoning Ability: Even though this subject is combined with Computer Aptitude in the Mains exam, it should be prepared separately. The best books for this subject are:
- A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S Agrawal
- A New Approach to Reasoning by B.S Sijwali and Indu Sijwali
- Computer Aptitude: The Computer Aptitude syllabus for IBPS is not very large. This subject is included in the mains exam. Largely composed of activities and tools we use every day in modern offices, the following book is sufficient for the subject:
- IBPS PO Books Arihant – Computer Awareness
- General Awareness, Economy and Banking: This subject has a comparatively large coverage. For this reason, preparation should be done through newspapers, weekly current affairs magazines and books. The questions on current affairs are mostly asked from events within 3-4 months prior to the examination. Some useful books for this subject are:
- India Year Book by Publications Division, Government of India
- Banking Awareness by B.K Raut and S.R Behera
- Apart from these books, The Hindu and Indian Express are good sources of information on the latest developments. The focus should be on the business and world news sections of these newspapers.
The books listed above are more than sufficient to crack the public sector bank PO exam. Aspirants should read these IBPS PO books thoroughly and practice solving MCQs. Once the whole syllabus has been covered, it is advisable to solve a few previous years’ IBPS question papers. The revision should focus on weak areas identified while solving those papers.
BYJU’S has developed excellent material for bank examinations. Previous years’ IBPS PO papers can be downloaded here.
BYJU’S has developed excellent material for bank examinations.To know more about bank exams, please visit: