State Bank of India conducts various examinations annually for recruiting employees for SBI Specialist Officer posts according to vacancies. It administers the SBI SO exam to recruit Specialist Officers for regular or contract positions as Assistant Managers, Engineers, Officers, Architects, Testers, Managers, and Analysts, among others. It is a golden opportunity for all the candidates who consider working at SBI as an enticing prospect. To effectively study for the exam, interested applicants must be well-versed with the SBI SO Syllabus and Exam Pattern.
In this article, we’ll look into the topic-wise distribution of the SBI SO Syllabus 2023 for the different SO exams conducted by SBI annually. Candidates willing to know in detail about the recruitment process can visit the linked article SBI SO Notification.
Generally, the State Bank of India releases a single notification for the recruitment of Specialist Officers. However, starting SBI SO 2020, various recruitment announcements for various positions have been made available on the official SBI website. This year too, the selection process varies for different Specialist Officer posts for which different notifications have been released by the SBI. For more information, candidates must visit the SBI website.
Given below is the post-wise SBI SO Syllabus PDF and Exam pattern 2023 for candidates to prepare themselves.
However, this may be temporary and candidates who are aspiring to appear for the SBI SO exam need to acquaint themselves with the SBI SO syllabus exam pattern before applying online for the examination.
|Analyse the SBI SO syllabus and start your preparation for the upcoming Specialist Officer exam.
Solve the Free Online SBI SO Mock Test Series and understand the exam pattern even better.
Also, refer to the links given below and ace the SBI SO 2023 exam:
To explore the SBI Recruitment of the other SBI bank exams, click at the linked article.
SBI SO Syllabus: Overview
Before detailing the Syllabus for SBI SO exam, candidates can go through the highlights of the exam pattern and syllabus:
|SBI SO 2023: Overview|
|Exam Name||SBI SO|
|Conducting Body||State Bank of India|
|SBI SO Selection Process||Online Test and Interview/ Only Interview|
|SBI SO Mode of Exam||Online|
|Language/Medium of Exam||English and Hindi|
|SBI SO Syllabus||
|SBI SO Exam Duration||General Aptitude- 90 minutes
Professional Knowledge- 70 minutes
|SBI SO Total Marks||General Aptitude- 120 marks
Professional KnowledgeTest- 150 marks
|SBI SO Total Questions||General Aptitude- 120
Professional KnowledgeTest- 75
|SBI SO Negative Marking||O.25 mark is deducted for every wrong answer|
Candidates can visit SBI SO Exam page for all the important details of the examination.
SBI SO Exam Pattern
Candidates applying for the SBI SO exam are tested on the basis of an online examination and interview process. The SBI SO exam consists of two Papers – Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Paper 1 comprises of questions from:
- Reasoning Ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language
- Paper 2 comprises of questions from:
- Professional Knowledge
The distribution of marks of each section totally depends on the type of SBI SO post that a candidate has applied for at the time of online application.
|SBI SO Exam Pattern 2023|
|Test||No. of Questions||Marks||Time|
|General Aptitude||Reasoning||50||50||90 Min|
|Professional Knowledge (PK)||General IT Knowledge||25||50||70 Min|
Important Points to Remember:
- Candidates qualifying the online examination are eligible for the next process which is the Interview round.
- Usually, the duration of the Paper 1 is 90 minutes and Paper 2 is timed at 70 minutes for every SBI SO exam.
- The marks scored in Paper I are qualifying in nature and will not be considered in the final merit list.
- Candidates will get one mark for each correct answer and a quarter of the marks, 0.25 marks, will be deducted for every wrong answer. However, candidates will not be penalised for an unanswered question.
- The marks earned by applicants in the Professional Knowledge section and the Interview phase will be taken into account when announcing the final list of candidates who have been shortlisted.
- The candidates with the top merit rankings in each category will be chosen for the jobs. If more than one candidate gets the required score (common marks at the cut-off point), they will be ranked in the merit list according to their age in descending order.
After combining the scores from the Professional Knowledge Test (out of 150 marks) and the interview (out of 25 marks), the final merit list will be determined. The score will be weighted as follows:
|System Officer (Performance/Senior Automation Test Engineer)||
|System Officer (Test Engineer)|
|System Officer (Web Developer)|
Candidates can also know more about the banking awareness questions in banks exams at the linked article.
To know more about other SBI exams, click at the linked article.
SBI also conducts SBI Clerk and PO exams. Find the related links below:
|SBI PO Cut-Off||SBI Clerk Cut Off|
|SBI Clerk Prelims Exam Analysis||SBI Clerk Previous Year Question Paper|
|SBI Clerk Notification||SBI Clerk Result|
SBI SO Syllabus
The position of System Officer (Test Engineer, Web Developer, and Performance/Senior Automation Test Engineer) will be filled through a written examination that will be administered online. The Specialist Officer examination covers all of the significant subjects and chapters included in the SBI SO Syllabus. The online written exam will be based on General Aptitude and Professional Knowledge. The following lists the subjects that fall under each of these headings.
|General Aptitude||English Language|
|Professional Knowledge||General IT Knowledge|
|Role-based IT Knowledge|
Given below is the detailed syllabus for the SBI SO exam for the recruitment of candidates for various posts in the SBI Bank:
|SBI SO 2023 Syllabus: General Aptitude|
|S.No.||Name of the Subject||Syllabus Topics|
|1.||SBI SO Syllabus: Reasoning Ability||Alpha Numeric Sequence Puzzle|
|Clocks & Calendars|
|Deriving Conclusions from Passages|
|Direction Sense Test|
|Inserting The Missing Character|
|Logical Sequence of Words|
|Logical Venn Diagrams|
|Number, Ranking & Time Sequence|
|Situation Reaction Test|
|Statement – Arguments|
|Statement – Conclusions|
|2.||SBI SO Syllabus: Quantitative Aptitude||Averages|
|Decimal & Fractions|
|HCF & LCM|
|Heights & Distances Partnership|
|Mixtures & Allegations|
|Permutation & Combination|
|Problems on Ages|
|Problems on Trains|
|Profit and Loss|
|Ratio and Proportions|
|Simple & Compound Interest|
|Time and Distance & Work|
|Volume & Surface Area|
|3.||SBI SO Syllabus: English Language||Antonyms|
|Fill in the Blanks|
|Idioms & Phrases|
|Parts of Speech|
SBI fills a number of positions through the SBI SO exam, and separate question papers sets are created for each position’s applicants. Candidates chosen for the position after passing the exam can expect a respectable SBI SO salary in addition to several benefits.
The SBI SO question paper includes questions based on the types of posts in the professional knowledge section. To obtain the highest score in this section, candidates must be completely familiar with the SBI SO Syllabus 2023 for IT Officer, Law Officer, Chartered Accountant, Statistician, etc. The information about the syllabus for the various positions is listed below:
|SBI SO Syllabus: Professional Syllabus|
|S.No.||Name of the Subject||Syllabus Topics|
|1.||SBI SO Syllabus: Chartered Accountant||Accounting Standards|
|Accounting Guidance Note|
|Financial Report Standards|
|Indian Accounting Standards|
|Corporate Financial Reporting|
|Accounting and Reporting of Financial Instrument|
|Indian Capital Market|
|2.||SBI SO Syllabus: Statistician||Basic Statistical Methods and Inference|
|Time series forecasting|
|Sampling Concepts, Sampling Distribution|
|3.||SBI SO Syllabus: Law Officer||Banking Regulated Laws|
|Banking Security Laws|
|Ethics and Corporate Governance in Banking|
|Banking Operational Laws|
|Loans and Advances|
|Compliance and Legal Aspects|
|Security Types and Regulatory Frameworks|
|4.||SBI SO Syllabus: Systems Officer/IT Officer||Computer Networks and Basic Programming Languages (C, C++, Java)|
|Data Base Management Systems (DBMS)|
|Basic concepts of Software and Hardware|
|Algorithms, Digital Electronics|
|Logical Reasoning||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Verbal Ability||Logical Reasoning Question and Answers|
|Computer Knowledge||Banking Awareness|
It is to be noted that an online exam is not conducted for all posts for SBI SO, for certain posts recruitment is done through shortlisting and an interview.
The following table shows the post wise selection process:
|S.No.||Name of SBI SO Post||Selection Process|
|1||Risk Specialist – Sector||Shortlisting and Interview|
|2||Risk Specialist – Sector||Shortlisting and Interview|
|3||Risk Specialist – Credit||Shortlisting and Interview|
|4||Risk Specialist – Climate Risk||Shortlisting and Interview|
|5||Risk Specialist – IND AS||Shortlisting and Interview|
|6||Risk Specialist – Market Risk||Shortlisting and Interview|
|7||Defence Banking Advisor-Navy||Shortlisting and Interview|
|8||Advisor-Central Armed Police Forces||Shortlisting and Interview|
|9||Circle AdvisorCentral Armed Police Forces||Shortlisting and Interview|
|10||Circle Defence Banking Advisor||Shortlisting and Interview|
|11||Research Analyst||Shortlisting and Interview|
|12||Research Analyst Equity||Shortlisting and Interview|
|13||Research Analyst Private Equity||Shortlisting and Interview|
|14||Internal Ombudsman||Shortlisting and Interview|
|15||System Officer (Test Engineer)||Online Written Test and Interview|
|16||System Officer (Web Developer)||Online Written Test and Interview|
|17||System Officer (Performance/Senior Automation Test Engineer)||Online Written Test and Interview|
|18||System Officer (Project Manager)||Shortlisting and Interview|
|19||System Officer (Project Manager)||Shortlisting and Interview|
|20||Executive (Test Engineer)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|21||Executive (Interaction Designer)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|22||Executive (Web Developer)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|23||Executive (Portal Administrator)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|24||Senior Executive (Performance/ Automation Test Engineer)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|25||Senior Executive (Interaction Designer)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|26||Senior Executive (Project Manager)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
|27||Senior Special Executive (Project Manager)||Shortlisting, Interview & CTC Negotiation|
SBI SO Preparation Tips
Here are some tips and strategies which can guide candidates on how to prepare for SBI SO exam:
- Analyse the SBI SO Syllabus: Candidates must have a fair idea of the topics in the SBI SO syllabus and understand it properly, know the exam pattern and everything related to the exam. Aspirants should try to examine the exam sections and subjects carefully. This will help them to capture their strengths and weaknesses and work on those areas which need improvement.
- Create a Timetable: Aspirants must create a timetable and prepare for the different sections of the exam accordingly. They can revise all the syllabus topics every day and focus more on the areas which need more attention.
- Stay updated and Practice more: It is a good practice to read the newspaper and magazines daily and stay updated about the Current Affairs. This will help aspirants to improve their General Awareness and English Language skills. Reading about banking or finance industry will also enhance their knowledge about questions related to the banking industry.
- Making Notes & Topic-wise studying: Aspirants should focus on section-wise topics to understand the different topics thoroughly. They should practice more problems on various topics and take notes on the important topics so that they can have a quick revision just before the examination.
- Practice Mock Papers: Practicing mock papers on a regular basis can help candidates to understand the question pattern and also assist in tracking their progress from time to time.
- Refer SBI SO Books & Study Materials: Candidates should refer to a variety of SBI SO books and study materials available online or paperback to understand the section-wise topics and have a better understanding of the questions pattern.
SBI SO Books
Here are some important books that candidates can refer to while preparing for the SBI SO exam:
|Name of Section||Book Title||Author/Publication|
|Reasoning Ability||A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Quantitative Aptitude for All Competitive Examinations||Abhijit Guha|
|English Language||General English Language||Lucent’s|
|Professional Knowledge||Professional knowledge for SBI Specialist IT Officer Exam||Disha Experts|
With the help of these strategies and time management techniques, aspiring candidates can have a fair idea of the different section-wise topics and prepare for the SBI SO exam accordingly.
Else, candidates can also join the BYJU’S Bank Exam Learning Program which contains courses with inbuilt video lectures and mock tests. These study materials help aspirants to prepare for SBI SO Exam at their own pace and ace the challenging exam with flying colours.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to get detailed information about Government Exams in India.