The PCS Exam or the Provincial Civil Service Exam is conducted by the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC). It recruits candidates for Group A and Group B services of UP state government.
Latest Update on UPPSC PCS 2018
- UPPSC PCS 2018 Final Results have been declared.
Latest Update on UPPSC PCS 2019 and 2020
- UPPSC Admit Card for PCS Mains 2019 out.
- On 26th August 2020, examination schedule of PCS Exam (Mains), 2019 has been released by the commission. Get the UPPSC Exam Dates and the examination schedule at the linked article. The last date to submit PCS Mains Application 2019 was 19th April 2020.
- Submit the Choice of District for PCS (Pre) Exam 2020 – Candidates taking the upcoming UPPSC PCS Prelims 2020 (11th October) were to submit their first three preferences pertaining to the district of the examination. The last date to submit the choice of the district of the examination was 10th September 2020.
- The last date to withdraw the application from the PCS Exam 2020 was 10th August 2020.
- On 31st July, revised dates of Mains examination were released.
- Commission on 30th July has released a notice regarding district centre change for the PCS Mains Examination. As per the notification, Gaziabad has been added to the list of centres. The existing centres are – Prayagraj and Lucknow. Candidates willing to change their centre for PCS (M) Exam 2019 were asked to do so by visiting the official website between 28 July 2020 and 4th August 2020.
- The UPPSC 2020 notification was out on 21st April 2020.
UPPSC PCS Exam
Update on UPPSC PCS 2020 amid Coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic situation:
- Commission has revised the date of PCS Prelims 2020. It is going to take place on 11th October 2020. Similarly, PCS Mains date has also been revised from 15th October 2020 onward to 22 January 2021 onward now.
- Earlier, the commission had postponed the PCS Prelims 2020 that was scheduled for 21st June 2020.
- The PCS admit card will be released for both the pre and mains exams tentatively three weeks prior to the date of the examination. The admit card is a hall ticket that is to be carried along by each candidate to their examination centres. The date of the release of the admit card is not yet out.
UPPSC PCS Exam – Important Details
The UPPSC PCS Exam details are as follows:
|Name of Exam||Provincial Civil Service Exam or PCS Exam; officially known as the Combined State/ Upper Subordinate Services Examination|
|Conducting Body||Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC)|
|Purpose of PCS Exam||To recruit Group A and Group B officers into the executive branch of the Uttar Pradesh state government|
|PCS Exam Pattern||PCS Exam is conducted in three stages (similar to UPSC Civil Services Exam):
|UPPSC Vacancy||Varies every year;
|UPPSC Syllabus||The updated UPPSC syllabus as per the new pattern of the PCS Exam (Prelims and Mains) at the linked article|
|PCS Exam Eligibility||Check the complete eligibility criteria for UP PCS Exam here|
|PCS Exam Date 2020||The schedule is:
|PCS Exam Date 2019||The schedule is:
|PCS Exam Results||For the results of UPPSC 2018, 2017, and 2016, refer to our UPPSC Results page|
|PCS Exam Notification||Check our UPPSC Notifications page to download UPPSC Notification 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017 PDF|
|PCS Exam Preparation||Check our UPPSC PCS Preparation page to download UPPSC PCS Preparation booklist 2019 and get tips and strategies to cover the syllabus|
For UPPSC Calendar 2020 and study material for the PCS exam, scroll down.
Candidates should note that the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the Civil Services Exam (IAS Exam) to recruit Group A and Group B officers for All India Services (IAS, IPS, Indian Forest Service) and Central Civil Services (IRS, IRTS, Indian Foreign Service, etc.).
While the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) conducts the Provincial Civil Service Exam (PCS Exam) to recruit for state-level services. The selected PCS officers can be promoted to IAS officers later in their careers.
For details of Public Service Commission Exams conducted by other states, please refer to the linked article.
The recent change in the pattern of UP PCS Exam has made it quite similar to the UPSC Exam Pattern. Now, like the IAS exam, there are 4 GS papers and the choice of only one optional subject in PCS Mains.
Under the provisions of the Government of India act 1935, setting up of provincial public service commissions was envisaged.
As a result, on April 1, 1937, the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) came into being with its headquarters at Prayagraj (then Allahabad).
After independence, part XIV (Article 308 – Article 323) of the Indian Constitution deals with the services under the Union and the States.
As per the provisions in Articles 316-319, the Chairman and the state commission members are appointed by the Governor of the state.
The current UPPSC chairman is Prof. Anurudh Singh Yadav who was appointed in 2016. Apart from the UPPSC chairman, there are eight other members.
The current UPPSC members are:
- Dr Sunil Kumar Jain
- Sri Syed Farman Ali
- Major Sanjay Yadav
- Dr Jairam Prasad Vaidya
- Sri Devi Prasad Dwivedi
- Sri AK Gupta
- Sri Durga Charan Misra
- Sri Lorik Yadava
The working of the UPPSC is regulated by:
- The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (Regulation), 1976
- The Uttar Pradesh State Public Service Commission (Regulation of Procedure Act, 1985)
- The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (Procedure and Conduct of Business) Rules 2011.
The list of UPPSC Exams is given below:
- PCS Exam ( Combined State/Upper Subordinate Examination – Prelims, Mains)
- Review Officer (RO)/Assistant Review Officer (ARO) Examination (Prelims, Mains)
- Additional Private Secretary (APS) Examination
- Assistant Registrar Examination
- Combined State Engineering Examination
- Assistant Prosecuting Officer Examination
- UP Nyayic Seva (Junior Division) Examination
UPPSC Exam Dates
The official UPPSC Exam Calendar 2020 with dates of the various exams conducted by the commission is given below.
The official UPPSC Exam Calendar 2019 (September-December) with dates of the various exams conducted by the commission is given below.
The UPPSC September-December 2019 calendar (in English) for UPPSC jobs is given in the table below:
UPPSC Exam Calendar 2019
|1.||Programmer/Programmer Grade 1/ Programmer Grade 2
Computer Operator Grade B 2019 –Programmer/ Programmer Grade 1
|1 September 2019|
|2.||Programmer/Programmer Grade 1/ Programmer Grade 2
Computer Operator Grade B 2019 – Computer Operator Grade B
|15 September 2019|
|3.||Programmer/Programmer Grade 1/ Programmer Grade 2
Computer Operator Grade B 2019 – Programmer Grade 2
|13 October 2019|
|4.||UPPSC PCS Main 2018||18 October 2019|
|5.||Government Inter College Exam2017 for Lecturers (Screening)||3 November 2019|
|6.||UPPSC PCS Prelims 2019
UPPSC Assistant Conservator of Forest (ACF)/ Range Forest Officer (RFO) Prelims 2019
|15 December 2019|
The official UPPSC Exam Calendar 2019 (January – June) with dates of the various exams conducted by the commission is given below.
The January-June 2019 calendar (in English) for UPPSC jobs is given in the table below:
|Serial No.||Exam Name||Exam Date|
|1.||UP Judicial Service Civil Judge (Judicial) (Main) Exam 2018||January 30, 31
|2.||RO/ARO (Main) Exam 2017||February 17, 18, and 20|
|3.||Assistant Registrar Exam 2018||March 5,6|
|4.||Dental Surgeon (Screening) Examination 2018||March 17|
|5.||Programmer Category-I /Programmer Category-II /Computer Operator (Grade-B Examination 2019)||March 30|
|6.||Programmer Category-I / Programmer Category-II /Computer Operator, Programmer (Grade-B exam 2019), Programmer Category-I Examination||April 28|
|7.||Lecturer State Degree College (Screening) Exam 2017||May 19|
|8.||APS (UP Secretariat) Third Phase (Computer Knowledge) Exam 2013||May 26|
|9.||APO (Preliminary) Exam 2018||June 9|
|10.||Combined State/Upper Subordinate Services (General Selection/Backlog/Special Selection) (Main) Examination 2018||June 17 onwards|
To download the online UPPSC Admit card, visit the official site (http://uppsc.up.nic.in/) then do the following steps:
- On the left side, under the “Download Segment” click on “Download Admit Card”
- A new page will open from where you can enter your details and download the hall ticket provided your application was not rejected and the exam has been scheduled.
- Enter the following details (same as entered in the online application form)
- Registration Number
- Date of Birth
- Verification code (captcha code)
- Click the “Download Admit Card” button after filling the details.
- You can check your application status by clicking on the “View Application Status” at the bottom right of the page
- In case you have forgotten your registration number, click the “Know Your Registration Number” link on the bottom left of the page. On the new page, enter the following details (same as entered in the application form) and then click on “Search”
- Candidate’s name
- Father’s name/Husband’s name
- Date of Birth
- Verification Code (Captcha code)
PCS Exam Preparation
For UPPSC preparation, a pragmatic approach would be to align it with the UPSC IAS Exam preparation.
Many state commissions are modelling their syllabus and/or exam pattern with that of the Union Public Service Commission.
For the candidates’ reference:
The main difference between UPSC preparation and UP PCS exam preparation is that in the latter candidates have to study details (history, geography, polity, current affairs) about the state of Uttar Pradesh as well.
For the most part, the preparation strategy for both focus on NCERT books and notes, standard reference books (such as Laxmikanth’s Polity) and Current Affairs preparation.
Here, you can find UPPSC study material (books and notes) and daily Current Affairs:
- Download NCERT books PDF from this link
- Check out the NCERT notes on Ancient History, Medieval History, Modern Indian History, Art/Culture, and Geography.
- Daily News Analysis
- Download Yojana Magazine Gist
- Find PIB Summary here.
For the current affairs part, approximately 10-12 months of coverage is recommended.
If you are simultaneously preparing for the UPSC Civil Service Exam as well, then a one-stop preparation guide can be found at out UPSC 2020 page.
Also, an important part of preparation is going through the previous years’ question papers and doing MCQ solving practice for Prelims and answer writing practice for Mains.