Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) had changed the PCS Exam Pattern from UPPSC Prelims 2018 onward. UPPSC syllabus is based on the new PCS exam pattern. In this article, we will provide you with the latest UPPSC syllabus and exam pattern for Prelims and Mains 2022.
UPPSC Syllabus (New Pattern):- Download PDF Here
Latest Update: The commission has introduced changes in the composition of the interview board and the new changes are expected to bring more transparency and raise the standards of the selection process. Apart from subject matter experts, IAS and IPS officers, officers like former judges, brigadiers and eminent educationists will also be called for interview.
PCS Syllabus 2022 | Salient Points of UPPSC New Exam Pattern
UPPSC conducts the PCS Exam for recruiting Group A and Group B officers in the administrative services of the state government. UPPSC Prelims 2018 onwards, the PCS exam pattern has been changed.
The salient points of the UPPSC new exam pattern are:
- Introduction of 0.33% negative marking in the Prelims Exam
- The UPPSC mains will have 4 GS papers and only one optional subject (2 papers) along with the Essay and General Hindi paper.
- The interview will be for 100 marks
The new PCS exam pattern is closely modelled on the lines of the UPSC IAS Exam.
PCS Exam Pattern 2022
The UPPSC conducts the PCS Exam in three stages:
- Prelims – 2 papers – objective type questions (MCQs)
- Mains – 8 papers – essay/descriptive type
UPPSC PCS Prelims Exam Pattern
The PCS exam pattern for UPPSC Prelims is given in the table below:
|Name of Exam||Combined State/Upper Subordinate Services (General Recruitment/Physically Handicapped – Backlog/Special Recruitment) (Preliminary) Examination|
|Number of Papers||
|UPPSC Exam Date (Prelims)||
Check the revised UPPSC Calendar in the linked article.
|Duration of Exam||2 hours each;
|Number of Questions||Paper-I: 150 questions
Paper-II: 100 questions
|Type of Exam||Offline (Pen-paper) OMR sheets|
|Nature of Questions||All questions will be of Objective type (MCQs)|
UPPSC PCS Mains Exam Pattern
The PCS Exam pattern for UPPSC Mains 2022 is given below. The same pattern is followed in UPPSC Mains 2021 too:
|Name of Exam||Combined State/Upper Subordinate Services (General Recruitment/Physically Handicapped – Backlog/Special Recruitment) Main (Written) Examination|
|Number of Papers||Eight;
|UPPSC Exam Date||
|Duration of Exam||3 hours each;
|Type of Exam||Offline (Pen-paper)|
|Nature of Questions||Essay/descriptive type|
|Optional Subjects||As per the new UPPSC exam pattern, candidates have to select only one optional subject (2 papers) now, from the list given.|
Given below are the 34 optional PCS exam subjects for UPPSC Mains 2022 per the latest exam pattern:
|Agriculture & Veterinary Science||Arabic Lit.||Zoology|
|Defence Studies||Persian Lit.||Physics|
|Political Science & International Relations||Geology||Commerce & Accountancy|
|History||Civil Engineering||Public Administration|
|Social Work||Medical Science||Sociology|
|Mechanical Engineering||Botany||Electrical Engineering|
|Law||English Lit.||Animal Husbandry|
UPPSC PCS Interview
The UPPSC Personality Test/Viva-Voce/Interview is held for the candidates who clear the Main stage of the PCS Exam. The interview (in the new PCS exam pattern) is for 100 marks and tests the general awareness, character, expression of power/personality, intelligence and general suitability for the service.
- The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission has introduced changes in the PCS Interview. Earlier subject experts, IPS and IAS officers would consist in the interview panel. Now officers like former judges, brigadiers and eminent educationists will also be called for interview. This change has extended the scope of the interview board.
- This change has been introduced to improve the process of the interview and raise the level of interviews. It has also been decided that there must be at least 2 members in the panel of the Interview Board.
UPPSC aspirants can also prepare for the UPSC exam considering a few similarities between the two examinations.
UPPSC Syllabus – PCS Exam Syllabus
The UPPSC syllabus overlaps significantly with the UPSC CSE Syllabus for the IAS Exam.
With the new PCS exam pattern and UPPSC syllabus, candidates preparing simultaneously for the Civil Services Exam and the state civil services exam will have a slightly easier task.
UPPSC PCS Syllabus – Prelims
The Prelims syllabus for Paper 1 and Paper 2 is given below.
- Current events of National & International importance
- Indian History and National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Socio-economic, Physical geography
- Indian Governance and Polity – Political System, Constitution, Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Rights issues, etc.
- Social and Economic Development – Demographics, Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion, Social Sector initiatives etc.
- Environmental Ecology, Climate Change, and Biodiversity – general issues that do not require subject specialisation
- General Science
Note: – Candidates are expected to have general awareness about the above subjects with special reference to Uttar Pradesh.
To cover broad topics from the subjects mentioned above, candidates can take help of the following links:
|Indian & World Geography|
|Social & Economic Development|
|Environment, Ecology & Climate Change|
There will be questions on the above topics with special reference to Uttar Pradesh. The official syllabus will be given in the UPPSC Notification. Given below is the syllabus from the official notification.
The detailed UPPSC syllabus for PCS Prelims Paper 1 is :
- Interpersonal skills (including communication skills)
- Analytical Ability & Logical Reasoning
- Problem Solving & Decision Making
- General Mental Ability
- Elementary Mathematics (class X level – Algebra, Statistics, Geometry and Arithmetic)
- General English (class X level)
- General Hindi (class X level)
The detailed UPPSC syllabus for Maths, English and Hindi sections of PCS Exam Prelims Paper 2 is:
Candidates can check the eligibility criteria for the UPPSC PCS Exam and the latest UPPSC results from the links below:
UPPSC Syllabus – Mains Syllabus 2022
In the changed pattern, the UPPSC Mains comprises 8 theory papers.
The PCS exam syllabus for General Hindi paper:
The UPPSC syllabus for the Essay PCS exam paper:
Just like it is asked in UPSC examination (Mains stage); UPPSC PCS mains stage too has a dedicate paper on Essay. BYJU’S came up with a post on how to write an essay for UPSC candidates. PCS candidates too can refer to the same post and learn some tips to write an essay.
The PCS Exam syllabus for General Studies Paper 1:
The general studies 1 of the UPPSC PCS Mains syllabus has topics that overlap with IAS Mains GS 1 syllabus to an extent. BYJU’S came up with the UPSC Mains GS 1 strategy from which PCS candidates too can inspiration and align their preparation accordingly.
The UPPSC syllabus for General Studies Paper 2:
The general studies 2 of the UPPSC PCS Mains syllabus has topics that overlap with IAS Mains GS 1 syllabus to an extent. BYJU’S came up with the UPSC Mains GS 2 strategy from which PCS candidates too can inspiration and align their preparation accordingly.
The PCS Exam syllabus for General Studies Paper 3:
The general studies 3 of the UPPSC PCS Mains syllabus has topics that overlap with IAS Mains GS 1 syllabus to an extent. BYJU’S came up with the UPSC Mains GS 3 strategy from which PCS candidates too can inspiration and align their preparation accordingly.
The UPPSC syllabus for General Studies Paper 4:
The general studies 4 of the UPPSC PCS Mains syllabus has topics that overlap with IAS Mains GS 1 syllabus to an extent. BYJU’S came up with the UPSC Mains GS 4 strategy from which PCS candidates too can align their preparation accordingly.
Learn from the experience of previous year IAS Toppers and kickstart your preparation now!
Regarding the UPPSC syllabus for the 34 optional subjects, candidates can refer to the UPPSC notification 2022 below: