The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) conducts the PCS Exam for recruiting Group A and Group B officers in the administrative services of the state government.
UPPSC Prelims 2018 onwards, the PCS exam pattern has been changed. The PCS Exam syllabus for Mains 2018 is based on the new pattern. Also, UPPSC Pre 2019 and Mains will be as per the new PCS exam pattern.
In this article, we will provide the latest UPPSC syllabus and exam pattern for Prelims and Mains.
The salient points of the UPPSC new exam pattern 2018 are:
- Introduction of 0.33% negative marking in the Prelims Exam
- The UPPSC mains will have 4 GS papers and only one optional subject (2 papers) along with the Essay and General Hindi paper.
- The interview will be for 100 marks
The new PCS exam pattern is closely modelled on the lines of the UPSC IAS Exam.
PCS Exam Pattern
The UPPSC conducts the PCS Exam in three stages:
- Prelims – 2 papers – objective type questions (MCQs)
- Mains – 8 papers – essay/descriptive type
The PCS exam pattern for UPPSC Prelims 2019 is given in the table below:
|Name of Exam||Combined State/Upper Subordinate Services (General Recruitment/Physically Handicapped – Backlog/Special Recruitment) (Preliminary) Examination|
|Number of Papers||
|UPPSC Exam Date (Prelims 2019)||July 2019 (tentative)|
|Duration of Exam||2 hour each;
|Type of Exam||Offline (Pen-paper) OMR sheets|
|Nature of Questions||All questions will be of Objective type (MCQs)|
The PCS Exam pattern for UPPSC Mains 2018 – 2019 (onwards) is given below:
|Name of Exam||Combined State/Upper Subordinate Services (General Recruitment/Physically Handicapped – Backlog/Special Recruitment) Main (Written) Examination|
|Number of Papers||Eight;
|UPPSC Exam Date||
|Duration of Exam||3 hours each;
|Type of Exam||Offline (Pen-paper)|
|Nature of Questions||Essay/descriptive type|
|Optional Subjects||As per the new UPPSC exam pattern, candidates have to select only one optional subject (2 papers) now, from the list given.|
Given below are the 34 optional PCS exam subjects for UPPSC Mains 2018 (onwards) as per the latest exam pattern:
|Agriculture & Veterinary Science||Arabic Lit.||Zoology|
|Defence Studies||Persian Lit.||Physics|
|Political Science & International Relations||Geology||Commerce & Accountancy|
|History||Civil Engineering||Public Administration|
|Social Work||Medical Science||Sociology|
|Mechanical Engineering||Botany||Electrical Engineering|
|Law||English Lit.||Animal Husbandry|
The UPPSC Personality Test/Viva-Voce/Interview is held for the candidates who clear the Main stage of the PCS Exam. The interview (in the new PCS exam pattern) is for 100 marks and tests the general awareness, character, expression power/personality, intelligence and general suitability for the service.
UPPSC Syllabus – PCS Exam Syllabus
The UPPSC syllabus overlaps significantly with the UPSC Syllabus for the IAS Exam. With the new PCS exam pattern and UPPSC syllabus, candidates preparing simultaneously for the Civil Services Exam (UPSC) and the state civil services exam will have a slightly easier task.
UPPSC PCS Exam Syllabus – Prelims
The Prelims syllabus for Paper 1 and Paper 2 is given below.
- Current events of National & International importance
- Indian History and National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Socio-economic, Physical geography
- Indian Governance and Polity – Political System, Constitution, Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Rights issues, etc.
- Social and Economic Development – Demographics, Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion, Social Sector initiatives etc.
- Environmental Ecology, Climate Change and Biodiversity – general issues that do not require subject specialisation
- General Science
There will be questions on the above topics with special reference to Uttar Pradesh. The official syllabus will be given in the UPPSC Notification. Given below is the syllabus from the 2018 notification.
The detailed UPPSC syllabus for PCS Prelims Paper 1 is :
- Interpersonal skills (including communication skills)
- Analytical Ability & Logical Reasoning
- Problem Solving & Decision Making
- General Mental Ability
- Elementary Mathematics (class X level – Algebra, Statistics, Geometry and Arithmetic)
- General English (class X level)
- General Hindi (class X level)
The detailed UPPSC syllabus for Maths, English and Hindi sections of PCS Exam Prelims Paper 2 is:
Candidates can check the eligibility criteria for the UPPSC PCS Exam and the latest UPPSC results from the links below:
UPPSC Mains Syllabus 2018 (onwards)
In the changed pattern, the UPPSC Mains comprises 8 theory papers.
The PCS exam syllabus for General Hindi paper:
The UPPSC syllabus for Essay PCS exam paper:
The PCS Exam syllabus for General Studies Paper 1:
The UPPSC syllabus for General Studies Paper 2:
The PCS Exam syllabus for General Studies Paper 3:
The UPPSC syllabus for General Studies Paper 4:
Regarding the UPPSC syllabus for the 34 optional subjects, candidates can refer to the UPPSC notification 2018.
The tentative date for the release of UPPSC notification 2019 is in the end of April.