Geography Notes for UPSC Examination will be immensely helpful for the candidates aspiring to sit for UPSC 2021 and 2022. Geography is a very important subject in the UPSC exam, covered by both IAS Prelims and Mains papers. Geography for UPSC covers Indian Geography as well as World geography. The following concepts in Geography are covered broadly by the UPSC Syllabus:
- Physical Geography
- Human Geography
- Environmental Geography
We also have compiled Geography questions that will be helpful for UPSC candidates. Check them below:
- UPSC Prelims Geography Questions
- UPSC Mains Geography Questions
- 100+ Daily Geography Questions for IAS Preparation
The UPSC Syllabus covers Geography in prelims as one of the subjects in General Awareness, while the IAS mains syllabus for Geography is covered both in the General Studies and Geography Optional papers. The following major topics should be covered in Geography for IAS:
- Environmental Geography
- Perspectives in Human Geography
- Economic Geography
- Population and Settlement Geography
- Regional Planning
- Models, Theories and Laws in Human Geography
- Physical and Cultural Setting of India
- Resources, Agriculture, Transport, Communication and Trade in India
- Contemporary Ecological Issues and Biodiversity
Geography Notes for UPSC
The most important source of Geography for UPSC is NCERT Books. Aspirants should read geography from NCERT Books for UPSC to prepare for the IAS Exam. Taking notes is an efficient way to organise the study material for revision. UPSC candidates often find it difficult to find the right topics to focus on or may not have the time or resources at hand to take efficient notes. With this in mind, we at BYJU’S have developed a compilation of NCERT Notes for UPSC. This page compiles all the NCERT Notes on Geography and additional notes on Geography for UPSC to help IAS aspirants prepare better and faster.
Additional Geography Notes for UPSC
|Rossby Waves||Polar Vortex|
|Zoram Mega Food Park||Jet Stream|
|Dams in India||Dams in India|
|List of Biosphere Reserves in India||Classification of Soil in India – Types of Soil in India|
|Siachen Glacier||Sea Snot|
These notes cover all the major Geography Topics for IAS including Indian and World Geography. Candidates should use these notes in conjunction with the NCERT Books for UPSC to cover the complete UPSC Syllabus for Geography.
Read more on UPSC Geography Syllabus:
Studying Geography requires a thorough understanding of the structure of the earth and how natural processes interact with the Earth’s crust. Based on this knowledge, aspirants should build up knowledge on various aspects of geography such as the location of geographical features, climate, flora and fauna and their interaction with humans, along with related topics such as soil and resource distribution.
UPSC Geography Notes Related Queries
- Which is the best book for geography for IAS?
- Ans. The following are the best books recommended for Geography preparation for the IAS exam:
- Certificate of Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong
- Objective Indian and World Geography by Majid Husain
- Geography of India by Majid Hussain
- World Geography by Majid Hussain
- NCERT Books on Geography
- Is NCERT book enough for IAS?
- Ans. NCERT Books are a must to prepare for the IAS exam. For some candidates with very good grasp of the subjects in the syllabus of UPSC, NCERT books are enough for clearing the UPSC exam. However, to be able to clear the IAS exam with a very good rank, one must supplement their preparation with other books and study material such as Current Affairs Magazines.
- Is GC Leong enough for prelims?
- Ans. G.C Leong is a very good book on Geography and should be studied for both UPSC Prelims and Mains. However, aspirants should study NCERT Geography for IAS before starting with G.C Leong as the subject matter is covered in detail in this book.
- What is physical, social and economic geography of India?
- Ans. The Geography of India is divided into physical, social and economic geography of India for ease of study. The following topics constitute each subdivision:
- Physical Geography of India: Climate, drainage and river systems, biodiversity, physiography and soils.
- Social Geography of India: Religion, language and demographic structure.
- Economic Geography of India: Livestock and agriculture, power and mineral resources, industries, trade and transportation.
To get important UPSC Notes for civil services, visit the link now!