West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) sets the WBCS exam syllabus. There are three tiers in the examination– Preliminary, Mains and Interview.
In this article, candidates will understand the WBCS Syllabus and the exam pattern of both prelims and mains.
Read the salient points of WBCS Syllabus 2020 below:
- The WBCS Prelims will have only one paper- General Studies. There is no Aptitude Test, unlike various other state Public Service Commission exams.
- The WBCS Mains Exam has six compulsory papers and one optional subject consisting of two papers.
- Optional Subjects are meant to be taken by candidates opting for Group A and Group B services.
- Out of 6 compulsory papers, 4 are of MCQ Type:
- General Studies- I
- General Studies- II
- The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India
- Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning
- The Mains Exam (Conventional/Essay) is allowed to be taken only in Bengali/English language.
- There is a deduction of 10% of the total marks secured by the candidate if he/she discloses his/her identity by writing his/her roll number/name.
Candidates may check the table below to know about WBCS Exam Pattern:
|WBCS Exam Pattern|
|Tier||Name of the exam||Type of the exam||Number of question papers||Marks|
||200 for Paper-I to Paper VI
400 for Paper-VII and Paper VIII
WBCS Syllabus 2020:- Download PDF Here
WBCS Syllabus In Detail
The State Service Examinations of most of the states are aligned on the similar pattern of IAS Exam. The Preliminary stage consists of one paper on General Studies and one on Aptitude Test. In the WBCS exam, the preliminary stage has only one paper, which is of General Studies. There is no Aptitude Test paper to qualify for the next stage. Mains examination has eight papers. Candidates can read WBCS Mains syllabus in the article below.
To know about the WBCS Exam Preparation, you may check the linked article.
Candidates may read below the details of WBCS Prelims and Mains:
The WBPCS Prelims Exam takes place at various centres in Kolkata and few other districts of West Bengal. Darjeeling as a centre is allowed to be chosen only by the Scheduled Tribes of the Darjeeling district and by candidates from three hill-divisions: Darjeeling Sadar, Mirik and Kurseong.
Candidates can check the linked article to know about the WBCS Eligibility.
The WBCS Preliminary Syllabus comprises eight subjects/topics. There are 200 Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQ). Each topic is assigned 25 marks. The duration of the exam is 2.5 hours. The Prelims is only a screening test, and its total marks (200) are not considered for final selection. The commission has clearly stated in its notification that the Prelims Exam tests the level of knowledge as that of a graduate of any faculty from any recognized university.
The eight topics given in WBCS Prelims Syllabus are:
- English Composition
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Idioms and Phrases
- Vocabulary Test
- Phrasal Verbs
- Fill in the qualifying words
- General Science
- General appreciation
- Understanding of science
- Matters of everyday observation
- Experience as expected from an educated person not having made special studies of scientific disciplines
- Current Events of National and International Importance
- Significant events affecting India and its relations with the world
- History of India
- Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal
- Physical Geography
- Social Geography
- Economic Geography
- Indian Polity and Economy
- Indian Constitution
- Panchayati Raj
- Constitutional Bodies, etc.
- Indian National Movement
- Nature and character of Nineteenth-Century Resurgence
- Growth of Nationalism
- Attainment of Independence
- General Mental Ability
- Logical Reasoning
- Common Aptitude
The official notification has mentioned the following about the WBCS Prelims Syllabus:
WBCS Mains Syllabus
The West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) in its official notification has mentioned the WBCS Mains Syllabus. After Preliminary Stage, shortlisted candidates will have to appear for WBCS (Exe.) etc. (Main) Exam. The WBCS Main exam comprises six compulsory papers and one optional subject that consists of two papers. Only candidates appearing for Group A and Group B exam have to take exams for Optional Subject. Candidates enrolled for Group C and Group D have to only take the six compulsory papers.
Six compulsory papers and two papers of Optional Subject (List will be provided by the commission) will be of 200 marks each. Duration for all the papers will be of 3 hours.
Candidates may check the six compulsory subjects given in WBCS Mains Syllabus below:
|WBCS Main Exam||Subject||Marks|
|Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
Composition and Translation from English to Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali
Composition and Translation from Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali to English
Indian History with special emphasis on National Movement
Geography of India with
special reference to West Bengal
Science and Scientific & Technological advancement
|Paper-V||The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India||200||200||200||200|
|Paper-VI||Arithmetic & Test of Reasoning||200||200||200||200|
For the above-mentioned papers, WBCS in its notification has mentioned:
List of WBPSC (Exe.) etc. Optional Subjects:
WBCS Optional Syllabus 2020:- Download PDF Here
WBCS Personality Test
For the third stage of the examination, which is the Interview stage, the official notification has stated:
Candidates can also check the WBCS Notification 2020 in the linked article.