The Syllabus for RAS/RTS Combined Competitive Exam is set by the Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC).
The primary difference between the UPSC Syllabus and the syllabus for state PSC exams is that for states, candidates have to learn the topics from the state’s perspective as well.
For e.g., if candidates are preparing for RPSC, then they also need to study History, Economy, Geography, Polity, and Current Affairs related to Rajasthan state as mentioned in the RAS Syllabus.
The RAS Exam is conducted in three stages (similar to the UPSC IAS Exam)
- Stage 1: RAS Pre – One Paper – Objective Type – 200 Marks
- Stage 2: RAS Mains – 4 Papers – Theory/Descriptive – 800 Marks Total
- Stage 3: RAS Interview/Personality Test/Viva-voce – 100 Marks
Read/download the new and updated RAS Exam Pattern.
The RPSC Syllabus for RAS exam can be divided into two parts:
- RAS Pre Syllabus
- RAS Syllabus – Mains
RPSC RAS Pre Syllabus
The RAS Pre Exam is a screening test and marks are not counted for the final merit list.
The Syllabus for all RPSC exams can be viewed on the official website of the commission.
RAS Pre Syllabus and Pattern is as follows:
- One Paper
- Subject Name – General Knowledge and General Science
- Max Marks – 200
- Duration – 3 Hrs
- Negative Marking – Yes (1/3rd of the marks allocated for the question)
- Number of Question – 150
- RAS Pre Exam 2019 Date – (tentative) September 2019
- Syllabus – The syllabus can be subdivided into topics/section focusing on Rajasthan and general topics
|RAS Syllabus – Prelims (Simplified)|
|Rajasthan Specific Parts||General Topics|
The RAS Pre 2018 was conducted on August 5, 2018, and candidates can download the official RPSC syllabus from the link below.
The RPSC RAS syllabus (Prelims) is similar to UPSC Prelims Syllabus. However, as aspirants can see on the linked page, the UPSC Prelims comprises 2 papers and there are other subtle but significant differences.
Aligning UPSC Preparation with RAS Syllabus:
Many civil service aspirants prepare simultaneously for State PSC Exams and UPSC Civil Service Exam.
Aspirants can check our Target 2019 page for free study material and preparation strategy.
The common sections/topics/aspects in the syllabus of RAS exam and IAS exam are:
- Current Affairs – Events of national and international importance
- Check out BYJU’S Current Affairs.page which has daily news analysis, monthly summaries of Press Information Bureau (PIB), the gist of Yojana magazine, monthly current affairs magazine and more.
- History – Ancient, Medieval, Modern
- Geography – Indian. World
- Check out the NCERT Geography Notes.
- Indian Polity
- Practice solving Polity MCQs here.
- Indian Economy
- Science and Technology
- Practice solving Science & Technology MCQs here.
Check the RAS Eligibility Criteria
RPSC Syllabus for RAS Mains
The RAS Syllabus for Mains comprises 4 theory papers of 200 marks each. The papers consist of short, medium and long answer questions.
There are no optional papers in the syllabus for RAS Mains, unlike the UPSC Mains Syllabus
Marks in the RAS Mains along with the Interview marks are counted for the final merit list.
RPSC syllabus – RAS Mains
|Paper I||General Studies I||
|Paper II||General Studies II||
|Paper III||General Studies III||
|Paper IV||General Hindi and General English||
Like in RAS Pre, candidates have to also focus on Rajasthan specific topics in the Mains. For general topics, like Indian Polity, Economy, the preparation would be on the lines of UPSC Mains i.e. reading the standard reference books such as Laximkanth, Ramesh Singh, Bipin Chandra etc.
Aspirants can go through this book list for UPSC/RPSC exams.
Also, toppers recommend going through the previous years’ RPSC question papers for RAS Exam and doing MCQ solving practice for Prelims and answer-writing practice for Mains.