The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) sets the exam syllabus for recruitment to the Group 1 services in the state. In this article, you can read and download the TNPSC Syllabus for Group 1 Exam 2020-21.
Note – Currently, TNPSC Group 1 Exam recruitment 2020 is taking place. The TNPSC Exam Syllabus has been released for 2020 and is expected to remain the same for 2022.
Salient Points about TNPSC Exam:
- The TNPSC Group 1 Exam (check the link for latest info), officially known as the Combined Civil Service – 1 (CCS-1) is conducted in three stages:
- Prelims – 1 paper (objective type) for 300 marks
- Mains – 3 papers (descriptive) for a total of 750 marks
- Interview – 100 marks
- Candidates should go through the detailed TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern, as there has been a revision by the commission in the exam scheme.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus PDF for Prelims 2021:- Download PDF Here
Important Dates for TNPSC Group 1 Exam:
For candidates’ reference, the important dates of TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2020 are given here:
|Date of TNPSC Group 1 Prelims Exam 2020||3rd Jan 2021|
|Dates of TNPSC Group 1 Mains Exam 2020||Postponed
Revised Dates – To be Announced
For candidates’ reference, the important dates of TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2019 are given here:
|Date of TNPSC Group 1 Prelims Exam 2019||March 3, 2019|
|New Dates of TNPSC Group 1 Mains Exam 2019||July 12, 13 and 14, 2019|
The TNPSC conducts the Combined Civil Service Exam on the lines of the UPSC IAS Exam. The IAS Exam is also conducted in three stages – Prelims, Mains and Interview.
Candidates can read/download the IAS Syllabus here.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus – Prelims
The Preliminary stage of the TNPSC Group 1 Exam comprises one objective type paper.
The Prelims is only the screening stage, and the marks are not counted in the final merit list.
The TNPSC Syllabus for Group 1 Prelims Exam is given below:
|TNPSC Syllabus – Prelims|
|Unit I||General Science
|Unit II||Current Events
Check BYJU’S Current Affairs compilations here.
|Unit IV||History and Culture of India|
|Unit V||Indian Polity|
|Unit VI||Indian Economy|
|Unit VII||Indian National Movement|
|Unit VIII||Aptitude and Mental Ability Tests
To cover broad topics from the subjects mentioned above, candidates can take the help of the BYJU’S classroom notes given below:
The candidates who clear the Prelims, reach the Main stage of the exam:
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Mains 2022
The Mains Exam comprises three descriptive papers, and each paper can be subdivided into three units covering broad subject areas.
Unlike the UPSC Mains, there are no optional papers/subjects in the TNPSC Group 1 Exam Syllabus.
The new TNPSC Syllabus for Mains is summarised below:
- Paper 1 – General Studies
- Unit I – Modern History of India and Indian Culture
- Unit II – Social Issues in India and Tamil Nadu
- Unit III – General Aptitude and Mental Ability
- Paper 2 – General Studies
- Unit I – Indian Polity and Emerging Political Trends across the world affecting India
- Unit II – Role and impact of Science and Technology in the Development of India
- Unit III – Tamil Society (Culture and Heritage)
- Paper 3 – General Studies
- Unit I – Geography of India with special reference to Tamil Nadu
- Unit II – Environment, Biodiversity and Disaster Management
- Unit III – Indian Economy and Current Economic Trends and impact of Global Economy on India
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Mains:- Download PDF Here
Align your TNPSC Preparation using UPSC preparation articles:
Students while preparing should note that General Studies preparation is mostly similar for UPSC and TNPSC Group 1 exam.
#TNPSC Syllabus of GS 1 – Topics
- Modern History of India and Culture – The similar topics are covered in the GS 1 of UPSC Mains.
- Social Issues in India – It is a broad topic and again is mentioned in the syllabus of civil services mains GS 1 syllabus.
- Welfare Schemes – It is an important topic and has been frequently asked in many government examinations.
To devise a strategy for these topics, BYJU’S brought a strategy post for UPSC Mains GS 1 where the topic-wise strategy has been mentioned. TNPSC Group 1 aspirants also can take a hint from the same post and prepare their own study plan to cover history-related topics mentioned in TNPSC syllabus. Check the UPSC Mains GS 1 strategy at the linked article.
Also; Welfare Schemes and General Aptitude related topics can be referred to in the following links:
#TNPSC Syllabus of GS 2 – Topics
- Indian Polity – Topics like Constitution, Union & State Executive, Legislature, Judiciary, etc are covered in the TNPSC GS 2 syllabus. The similar topics find a place in UPSC GS 2 syllabus.
- Science and Technology – It is covered in GS 3 of Mains (UPSC.)
To devise a strategy for these topics, BYJU’S brought a strategy post for UPSC Mains GS 2 where the topic-wise strategy has been mentioned. TNPSC Group 1 aspirants also can take a hint from the same post and prepare their own study plan to cover Indian polity-related topics mentioned in TNPSC syllabus. Check the UPSC Mains GS 2 strategy at the linked article.
#TNPSC Syllabus of GS 2 – Topics
- Geography – The topics related to the Indian geography are overlapping between TNPSC group 1 syllabus and UPSC syllabus. While Geography is covered in GS 1 of UPSC mains, the following topics are mentioned in GS 3.
- Environment & Biodiversity
- Indian Economy
To devise a strategy for these topics, BYJU’S brought a strategy post for UPSC Mains GS 3 where the topic-wise strategy has been mentioned. TNPSC Group 1 aspirants also can take a hint from the same post and prepare their own study plan to cover Indian Economy- related topics mentioned in TNPSC syllabus. Check the UPSC Mains GS 3 strategy at the linked article.
Note: The syllabus for the state public service commission exams differ from the UPSC Civil Service Exam in one significant aspect, i.e., the preparation has to focus on the subjects from the perspective of the state as well.
E.g., in the TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus, the history, geography, social issues topics, etc. have to be understood from a pan-India perspective and the perspective of Tamil Nadu state.
For a detailed strategy on TNPSC Preparation, check books, notes, and more at the linked article.
You can also check out our IAS pages for more information on the IAS exam pattern, syllabus, etc.
|UPSC 2022||UPSC Books||Latest Notifications of Government Exams|
|NCERT Notes for UPSC||UPSC Eligibility Criteria||UPSC Exam Pattern|
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus Related Queries
What is the syllabus for TNPSC Group 1?
The TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus is designed for both Prelims and Mains by the commission. The subjects covered are:
- General Science
- Current Affairs
- Indian Polity
How many times can one write the TNPSC Group 1 exam?
Which are the books for the TNPSC Group 1 exam?
If aspirants are sitting for multiple state service examinations, they can get syllabus information about each of the important public service commission examinations from the links mentioned below:
|KPSC KAS Syllabus||MPSC Syllabus|
|UPPSC PCS Syllabus||WBCS Syllabus|
|RPSC RAS Syllabus||Kerala PSC Syllabus|
|BPSC Syllabus||MPPSC Syllabus|
|APPSC Group 1 Syllabus||GPSC Syllabus|
|JPSC Syllabus||Public Service Commission (PSC) Exams|
|IAS General Studies Notes Links|
|No Confidence Motion||Himalayan Brown Bear|
|Laxmikant Polity||Books For UPSC|
|National Highway Authority Of India||Sister Nivedita|
|What Is Judiciary||India Pakistan Relations|