The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) sets the exam syllabus for recruitment to the Group 1 services in the state.
In this article, you can read and download the revised syllabus for the TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2019.
The TNPSC Group 1 Exam, officially known as the Combined Civil Service – 1 (CCS-1) is conducted in three stages:
- Prelims – 1 paper (objective type) for 300 marks
- Mains – 3 papers (descriptive) for a total of 750 marks
- Interview – 100 marks
Candidates should go through the detailed TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern as there has been a revision by the commission in the exam scheme.
For candidates’ reference, the important dates of TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2019 are given here:
|Date of TNPSC Group 1 Prelims Exam 2019||March 3, 2019|
|New Dates of TNPSC Group 1 Mains Exam 2019||July 12, 13 and 14, 2019|
Candidates can check the TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2019 details, application procedure etc. at the linked article.
The TNPSC conducts the Combined Civil Service Exam on the lines of the UPSC IAS Exam. The IAS Exam is also conducted in three stages – Prelims, Mains and Interview.
Candidates can read/download the IAS Syllabus here.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus – Prelims
The Preliminary stage of the TNPSC Group 1 Exam comprises one objective type paper.
The Prelims is only the screening stage and the marks are not counted in the final merit list.
The TNPSC syllabus for Group 1 Prelims Exam 2019 is given below:
|Unit I||General Science
|Unit II||Current Events
Check BYJU’S Current Affairs compilations here
|Unit IV||History and Culture of India|
|Unit V||Indian Polity|
|Unit VI||Indian Economy|
|Unit VII||Indian National Movement|
|Unit VIII||Aptitude and Mental Ability Tests
Candidates who are preparing for UPSC Civil Service Exam can check our Target 2019 page for study material and more information.
The candidates who clear the Prelims, reach the Main stage of the exam.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Mains 2019
The Mains Exam comprises three descriptive papers and each paper can be subdivided into three units covering broad subject areas.
Unlike the UPSC Mains, there are no optional papers/subjects in the TNPSC Group 1 Exam Syllabus.
The new TNPSC syllabus for Mains is summarised below:
- Paper 1 – General Studies
- Unit I – Modern History of India and Indian Culture
- Unit II – Social Issues in India and Tamil Nadu
- Unit III – General Aptitude and Mental Ability
- Paper 2 – General Studies
- Unit I – Indian Polity and Emerging Political Trends across the world affecting India
- Unit II – Role and impact of Science and Technology in the Development of India
- Unit III – Tamil Society (Culture and Heritage)
- Paper 3 – General Studies
- Unit I – Geography of India with special reference to Tamil Nadu
- Unit II – Environment, Biodiversity and Disaster Management
- Unit III – Indian Economy and Current Economic Trends and impact of Global Economy on India
The syllabus for the state public service commission exams differ from the UPSC Civil Service Exam is one major aspect, i.e., the preparation has to focus on the subjects from the perspective of the state as well.
For e.g., in the TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus, the history, geography, social issues topics, etc. have to be understood from a pan-India perspective and from the perspective of Tamil Nadu state.
Students while preparing should note that General Studies preparation is mostly similar for UPSC and TNPSC Group 1 exam.
Check our TNPSC Preparation page for books, notes and more.