History is one of the most important subjects for the IAS Exam. Indian History for UPSC is a very vast subject covering the following areas:
- Ancient Indian History
- Medieval Indian History
- Modern Indian History
The UPSC Syllabus covers history in both Prelims and Mains. The History topics are closely related to Heritage and Culture, particularly when studying History for IAS. The following are the important topics to study from Ancient Indian History:
- Prehistoric India
- Historic India
- Indus Valley Civilization
- Vedic India
- Buddhism and Related Topics
- Mauryan Empire, Administrative Structure, Rulers and Legacy
- Gupta Empire, Rulers and Legacy
- Invasions from Central Asia
- Kingdoms, States and Dynasties of South India, Their Rulers and Legacy
Ancient Indian History Notes
Read more History of India NCERT Notes for UPSC:
The most important sources of History are NCERT Books. Aspirants should read History from NCERT Books for UPSC to prepare for the IAS Exam. Taking notes is an efficient way to organise your study material for revision. Though taking notes is advisable, UPSC Candidates often find it difficult to find the right topics to focus on or may not have the time or resources at hand to take efficient notes. With this in mind, we at BYJU’S have developed a compilation of NCERT Notes for UPSC. This page compiles all the NCERT Notes for Ancient Indian History for UPSC for ease of use by IAS aspirants.
These notes cover all the major History Topics for IAS from the Ancient Indian Historical era till the dawn of the middle ages. Candidates should use these notes in conjunction with the NCERT Books to cover the complete UPSC Syllabus for Ancient Indian History.
Studying Indian History requires a thorough understanding of the chronology of events in Indian History. Based on this foundation, aspirants should build up knowledge on various aspects of history such as economic history, administrative history and cultural impact of historical events apart from political history.
More IAS related queries
- Is Ancient History of India important for UPSC Mains?
- In UPSC Mains, History is part of General Studies Paper I syllabus. However, there are no direct questions on Ancient History unless they can be linked to Art and Culture. For e.g. the 2017 UPSC Mains GS I paper had a question regarding the decline of the numismatic art in India after the Gupta period.
- Which is the best book for Ancient Indian History for UPSC 2020?
- India’s Ancient Past by RS Sharma
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- Which NCERT books to read for IAS exam 2020?
- NCERT books are a must read for IAS preparation They are important in both UPSC Prelims and Mains. NCERT books on History, Geography, Economics are particularly important. For easy reference of IAS aspirants, we have compiled a comprehensive list of NCERT books important for IAS exam 2020.
- Are NCERT books enough for UPSC exam?
- NCERT books are an essential part of UPSC exam preparation. However, because of the comprehensive UPSC syllabus, IAS aspirants should also refer to subject-specific books (for e.g. Indian Polity by Laxmikanth) and keep tabs on the current affairs of at least past 12-15 months.
- Is History a good optional choice for UPSC Mains exam?
- Yes, History is a popular choice among IAS aspirants because of the subject’s heavy overlap with the General Studies part in both UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains. However, the syllabus of History is vast and candidates often find it difficult to manage.
- Does IAS exam syllabus change?
- Yes, refer the official UPSC notification 2020 to see the latest IAS exam syllabus. However, there have been no significant changes in the UPSC syllabus recently but the nature of exam questions has become more dynamic.
- When can I apply for IAS 2020?
- To apply for IAS exam 2020, candidates have to successfully fill the two-part online registration form on the UPSC official website before the last date i.e before 6 PM, March 3, 2020.
Please visit the following links to read more: