The Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) conducts recruitment exams for various posts in the state administration. In this article, we will provide free study material for MPSC 2020-21 State Service Exam preparation including the list of the best books, NCERT notes, and current affairs.
These resources will be especially helpful for those candidates who are simultaneously preparing for MPSC Exam and UPSC IAS Exam.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts recruitment exams on the pan-India level. The different State Service Commissions have modelled their exam pattern and syllabus on the lines of the UPSC Civil Services Exam.
Common aspects of MPSC preparation and UPSC preparation:
- Current Affairs preparation is important – Get Current Affairs here.
- NCERT books are an essential resource – Get the complete list of NCERT Books here
- Standard reference books such as Laxmikant’s Polity, Bipin Chandra for History etc.
- Answer writing practice and going through previous years’ MPSC question papers
Candidates should note that for any state service exam, preparing the different subjects/topics (Current Affairs, History, Polity, Geography etc.) should be done keeping the state in focus.
For e.g., if you are preparing for MPSC Exam 2021, then you need to go through Maharashtra-specific Current Affairs, History, Geography etc. as well.
MPSC Study Material
Candidates can refer to the MPSC study material for the MPSC 2021 preparation below:
The study material for MPSC preparation comprises:
- MPSC Exam Books in Marathi (State Board and reference books)
- Books in English
- Current Affairs
- The Hindu
- Press Information Bureau (PIB)
- Yojana Magazine
- NCERT books and notes
Also, while referring to the MPSC Syllabus, there are a few terms that confuse aspirants. To understand the core differences between the terms, check our differences between the articles page.
Online preparation for MPSC is possible as most resources are available online. However, candidates who plan to take the exam in English will have some difficulty as books specific to Maharashtra state are available mostly in Marathi.
The books best aligned to the MPSC syllabus are given below.
The best books especially for preparing Maharashtra state-related topics/questions in the MPSC exam are:
|History of Modern Maharashtra|
|Geography of Maharashtra||Nirali Publication|
|Panchayat Raj||Kishor Lavate|
|Deepstambh Spardha Pariksha Arthashastra 1||Dr. Kiran J Desale|
|MPSC CSAT Simplified||Dhyandeep Publication|
|Fundamental of Agriculture Volume 1||Arun Katyayan (Kushal Publication)|
You should also refer to the standard reference books which are recommended for UPSC CSE preparation.
Candidates who are looking for MPSC books will find a list of these books helpful for both MPSC and UPSC preparation.
UPSC/MPSC Book List:- Download PDF Here
MPSC toppers recommend state board books and NCERT books for kickstarting your exam preparation.
You can download NCERT books PDFs for UPSC from the linked article.
Also, find below the NCERT notes for MPSC exam preparation.
- NCERT Notes: Ancient Indian History Notes
- NCERT Notes: Medieval Indian History Notes
- NCERT Notes: Modern Indian History Notes
- NCERT Notes: Art And Culture
- NCERT Notes: Geography Notes
Also find polity, economics, environment, science & technology notes and other important study material for holistic MPSC preparation below:
- Polity Notes
- Economics Notes
- Environment Notes
- Science & Technology Notes
- Differences Between Articles
These notes can help for both UPSC and MPSC State Service Exam preparation.
MPSC Current Affairs
The current affairs preparation for MPSC state service exam has to focus on events of national and international importance along with important recent events concerning the state of Maharashtra.
Developing the habit of reading the newspaper daily is important. However, aspirants should not spend more than one hour per day reading the newspaper. For MPSC preparation, candidates should make notes from newspapers and align the same with the syllabus of the exam.
Here, you can find Daily News Analysis from The Hindu and The Indian Express.
More links for MPSC current affairs preparation (and UPSC):
MPSC Preparation has to be as per the exam pattern. As question papers in both MPSC Prelims and Mains are objective type (except for one language paper in Mains), candidates should prepare accordingly.
MPSC Material – Prelims
In prelims, there are topics that overlap with general topics asked in UPSC exam. Hence, we will delineate those topics and provide you with BYJU’S material for MPSC preparation.
Let’s see what has been asked in MPSC Prelims Paper 1 and what can be studied for MPSC 2020-21. Questions from the following broad topics have been asked:
- Indian Independence Act 1947 – Aspirants can cover this and similar topics from the links mentioned below:
|Indian Independence Act 1947||Poona Pact|
|Morley-Minto Reforms 1909||Government of India Act 1919|
|Legislations passed in British India||Governors-General of Bengal|
- 44th Constitutional Amendment Act – Aspirants can read about 44th Amendment act and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
|44th Amendment Act||42nd Amendment Act|
|Important Amendments of Indian Constitution||Types of Amendments in Indian Constitution|
- Vice-President of India & Election Commission of India – Aspirants can read about Vice-President of India, ECI, and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
|Vice President of India||President of India|
|Prime Minister of India||Chief Minister of India|
|Election Commission of India||Supreme Court of India|
- Governor – Aspirants can read about state governors and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
- Passing a bill – Aspirants can read about how a bill is passed, and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
|How a bill is passed in Indian Parliament?||Important Articles of Indian Constitution|
|Difference between Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha||Speaker of Lok Sabha|
- Judicial Review – Aspirants can read about judicial review and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
- No-Confidence Motion – Aspirants can read about no-confidence motion and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
- Fundamental Rights – Aspirants can read fundamental rights and similar topics from the links mentioned in the table below:
|Fundamental Rights||Fundamental Duties|
|Directive Principles of State Policy||Basic Structure Doctrine of the Indian Constitution|
Some other topics that have been asked from history, geography, environment and economy sections in the exam earlier are:
Candidates can get other relevant details about MPSC Exam below:
- MPSC Notification – Get all the recruitment details regarding the MPSC State Services Exam in the linked article.
- MPSC Eligibility – The minimum education qualifications, the minimum, and maximum age limits and the exemption given to different categories are mentioned in the linked article.
- MPSC Admit Card – Get the steps to download the admit card for upcoming exams. The hall ticket is important for the examination and in the linked article, apart from the steps to download, aspirants will get to know what to do if any personal details are found wrong on the admit card.
- MPSC Results – On 19th June 2020, MPSC has declared the State Services 2019 Final Result. 339 Candidates have been declared successful. Prasad Basaveshwar Chaugale has topped the MPSC Rajya Sewa Mukhya Pariksha 2019/ MPSC 2019.