NTSE or National Talent Search Examination is a national level exam conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) for granting scholarships to the meritorious students studying in class 10th. NTSE is only held for 10th standard students and the exam is conducted in two different stages – Stage I and II. The first stage exam is a state-level exam and is conducted by all the Indian states and UTs. On the other hand, NTSE stage II is conducted for those students who clear the first stage. As mentioned earlier, only those who qualify in NTSE stage 1 will be eligible to write the Stage II exam. This is the main criteria. Meanwhile, the objective of organizing NTSE is to award scholarships to potential candidates who are aspiring to pursue higher education in the field of Science or Social Studies. With these scholarships, students will be able to continue their education in their desired stream. NTSE scholarship will be awarded on the basis of the overall performance of students in both the stages of the examination.
NTSE Exam Overview
|Exam Name||National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)|
|Conducting Body||National Council Of Educational Research and Training (NCERT)|
|Frequency of Exam||Once a year|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Exam Duration||4 Hours|
Below students will find the details related to NTSE 2020.
- NTSE 2020 admit cards were released in October/ November 2019.
- NTSE exam 2020 (Stage 1) was conducted on November 2nd, 3rd, and 17th, 2019 and December 1st, 2019.
- Official NTSE Answer Keys were released in November 2019.
- NTSE results for stage 1 exam have been announced by the different authorities. Students can check the official websites for details.
- NTSE exam 2020 (Stage 2) has been postponed and the new dates are yet to be announced by NCERT.
Around 1000 scholarships are awarded for each stage of education. These stages are:
- For Class XI to Class XII, a scholarship of Rs.1250/- per month is provided.
- For Undergraduates and Postgraduates, a scholarship of Rs.2000/- per month is provided.
- For Ph.D., the scholarship amount is fixed in accordance with the UGC norms.
- 7.5% for students belonging to the ST category.
- 3% for Physically Challenged Students.
NTSE Exam Qualifying Marks
- 40% Marks in each paper for General category students.
- 32% Marks in each paper for SC, ST & PH category students.
NTSE Exam Eligibility Criteria
- Only Class 10th students are eligible to write NTSE Exam paper provided the student is studying in a School recognized by the government.
- The Student should be below 18 years of age.
- Previously employed students are not eligible to write NTSE paper.
- The Student has never applied for class 10th exam before.
- Open Distance Learning (ODL) Students are also eligible.
NTSE Exam Pattern
The Exam pattern is the same for both Stage 1 and Stage 2 and there will be only the objective type of questions in both the stages of examination.
|Paper||Test||Total Time (Minutes)||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|Part 1||Mental Ability Test (MAT)||45||50||50|
|Part 2||Language Test (LT)||45||50||50|
|Part 3||Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||90||100||100|
NTSE Exam Marking Scheme
|NTSE Exam (Paper 1 & Paper 2)|
|Stage 1||1 Mark will be awarded for every correct answer.|
|No negative marking for the wrong answer.|
|Stage 2||1 Mark will be awarded for every correct answer.|
|For every wrong answer, one-third of the marks will be deducted.|
|No negative marking for questions left unattempted.|