National Talent Search Examination or NTSE Exam is a national level scholarship test conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training or NCERT for granting scholarships to the meritorious students studying in class 10th.
Stage 1: It is a State Level Exam conducted by different States and Union territories. Students qualifying the Stage 1 of NTSE Exam will be eligible to appear for Stage 2.
Stage 2: It is a National Level Exam conducted by National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
NTSE Stage 1 was conducted on 4th and 5th of November 2017, and Stage 2 will be conducted on May 13th, 2018. Students of class 10th who are looking for a scholarship program can apply for the NTSE 2018. The last date to submit the NTSE Phase 2 application form is 31st December 2017. Closing dates of NTSE Phase 1 application forms are notified separately by different States and Union territories. NTSE 2018 scholarship will be awarded on the basis of overall performance of students in both the stages of the examination.
Around 1000 scholarships are awarded for each stage of education. These stages are:
- For Class XI to Class XII, a scholarship of Rs.1250/- per month is provided.
- For Undergraduates and Postgraduates, a scholarship of Rs.2000/- per month is provided.
- For Ph.D., the scholarship amount is fixed in accordance with the UGC norms.
- 7.5% for students belonging to the ST Category.
- 3% for Physically Challenged Students.
NTSE Exam Qualifying Marks
- 40% Marks in each paper for General category students.
- 32% Marks in each paper for SC, ST & PH category students.
NTSE Exam Eligibility Criteria
- Only Class 10th students are eligible to write NTSE Exam paper provided the student is studying in a School recognized by the government.
- The Student should be below 18 years of age.
- Previously employed students are not eligible to write NTSE paper.
- The Student has never applied for class 10th exam before.
- Open Distance Learning (ODL) Students are also eligible.
NTSE Exam 2018 Important Dates
|NTSE Stage 1 Availability of Application Forms||Notified Separately by respective State & Union Territories|
|Deadline for Submission of Application Forms|
|NTSE Stage 1 Examination Date (State Level) Nagaland, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Andaman & Nicobar islands||4th of November, 2017|
|NTSE Stage 1 Examination Date (State Level) Examination in all other State & Union Territories||5th of November, 2017|
|Availability of Application Forms NTSE Stage 2||31st of December, 2018|
|NTSE Stage 2 Examination Date (National Level)||13th of May, 2018|
NTSE Exam Pattern
The Exam pattern is the same for both Stage 1 and Stage 2 and there will be only the objective type of questions in both the stages of examination.
|Paper||Test||Total Time (Minutes)||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|Part 1||Mental Ability Test (MAT)||45||50||50|
|Part 2||Language Test (LT)||45||50||50|
|Part 3||Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||90||100||100|
NTSE Exam Marking Scheme
|NTSE Exam (Paper 1 & Paper 2)|
|Stage 1||1 Mark will be awarded for every correct answer.|
|No negative marking for the wrong answer.|
|Stage 2||1 Mark will be awarded for every correct answer.|
|For every wrong answer, one-third of the marks will be deducted.|
|No negative marking for questions left unattempted.|
Other National And International Level Olympiads
|NSTSE||National Level Science Talent Search Examination|
|KVPY||Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana|
|NSO||National Science Olympiad|
|IMO||International Maths Olympiads|