Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the SSC JE Exam every year to select eligible candidates for the recruitment of Junior Engineers (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Quantity Surveying and Contracts) posts for various Departments/ Organizations in the Government of India. The SSC JE full form stands for Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineers.
This article will give important information regarding the SSC JE Exam for the year 2018-2019
Table of Contents:
- SSC JE Recruitment 2019
- SSC JE Exam Dates
- SSC JE Notification 2019
- SSC JE Vacancy
- SSC JE Apply Online
- SSC JE Exam Pattern
- SSC JE Syllabus
- SSC JE Eligibility Criteria
- SSC JE Admit Card
- SSC JE Cut off
- SSC JE Result
- About SSC
To know more about other upcoming Government Exams, you can visit the linked article
SSC JE Recruitment 2019
For the recruitment of SSC JE exam, SSC offers a golden opportunity to millions of aspirants across the Indian sub-continent by conducting this exam annually to fulfil their dream of working in a prestigious Government organisation. Interested candidates who wish to take the SSC JE 2018-19 exam are required to visit the official website of SSC (ssc.nic.in) to apply online for the competitive exam. Besides, candidates should visit the SSC official page often to stay updated on a regular basis about any latest details pertaining to the SSC JE 2018-19 exam.
To know more about the recruitment process of other SSC Exams, visit our SSC Recruitment page
SSC JE Exam Dates
The important SSE JE exam dates are listed as below:
|SSC JE 2019 Exam Dates|
|Name of Event||Date|
|Release of SSC JE Notification 2019||February 1, 2019|
|Closure Date of SSC JE Registration||February 25, 2019 (5.00 P.M.)|
|Closure Date of Online Fee Payment||February 27, 2019 (5.00 P.M.)|
|Last date for generation of offline Challan||February 27, 2019 (5.00 P.M.)|
|Closure Date of Offline Fee Payment through Challan||February 28, 2019|
|Paper-I Exam Date (Computer-based Exam)||September 23 – 27, 2019|
|Paper-II Exam Date (Descriptive Test)||December 29, 2019|
To know about other SSC Exams, visit the linked article.
SSC JE Notification 2019
On 1st February 2019, Staff Selection Commission released the official SSC JE 2019 Notification to recruit fresh engineering graduates for the post of Junior Engineers (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Quantity Surveying and Contracts). As per the notification, the last date to apply for the position closed on 25th February 2019. The SSC JE salary for the Group ‘B’ (Non-Gazetted) post in Level- 6 is Rs 35400-112400/- according to the 7th Central Pay Commission. Click below to download the official SSC JE Notification 2019 for easy reference.
To get more information about other SSC Exams, visit the SSC Notification page
SSC JE Vacancy
The vacancies for the SSC JE post were not announced in the initial official notification. On 15th February 2019, the tentative vacancy of this post was announced through an addendum that the number of SSC JE vacancies for 2018-19 exam summed up to 1601 positions in total. Click the link below to download the tentative vacancy of Junior Engineer (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Quantity Surveying and Contracts) Examination.
SSC JE Apply Online
The online application process of SSC JE exam commenced from February 01, 2019 and continued up to February 25, 2019 (until 5.00 P.M.). Candidates who wish to take the exam this year are required to apply online on the link made available in the SSC official website which is particularly meant for registration purposes.
Given below is the procedure for filling the online application for the exam which consists of two parts:
- One-Time Registration
- Online Application Form
1. One-Time Registration: For this type of registration, a candidate should read the instructions which are updated in the Notice of Examination carefully before proceeding to fill up the online ‘Registration Form’ and ‘Application Form’. The candidate is required to open the SSC official website (ssc.nic.in) and click on ‘Register Now’ provided in the Login section of the website. It is essential to keep the following documents handy during registration:
- Mobile Number/Email ID which should be verified through OTP. During registration, the User ID of the candidate will be his/her Email ID that he/she had provided earlier.
- Update Aadhaar Number or Aadhaar Enrollment Number as an ID proof. If the Aadhaar card is not available, the candidate can show any of the following documents later:
- Voter ID Card
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- School/ College ID Card
- Employer ID (Govt/ PSU/ Private)
- Information about the name of the Board, Roll Number and Year of Passing the 10th standard examination.
- Have a scanned colour passport-size photograph in JPEG format (20 KB to 50 KB).
- Have a scanned signature in JPEG format (10 KB to 20 KB).
Candidates should be extra cautious about filling up the following information to complete the One-Time Registration process:
- Basic Details like Name, Date of Birth, 10th exam details, etc.
- Additional Details like Category, Nationality, visible identification mark, etc.
- Contact Details
- Photo Signature and LTI
Candidates are required to complete the Registration process within 7 days failing which their Registration details saved would be permanently deleted. It is also important to note that the candidature of a particular candidate may get cancelled in case of wrong/incorrect information furnished.
2. Online Application Form: A candidate can login to the online system through his/her registered Email ID and password. After that, the candidate needs to click on the ‘Apply’ link ‘Junior Engineer (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Quantity Surveying & Contracts) Examination 2018-19’ section under ‘Latest Notifications’ tab. He/She has the flexibility to choose the examination centre as per one’s preference. Thereafter, the information with regard to Photo/ Signature/ Biometric impression needs to be filled up automatically from the One-Time Registration data.
SSC JE Application Fee
Candidates need to pay an Application fee of Rs 100/- (Rs. One hundred only) through any of the following payment modes like SBI Challan/ Net Banking, BHIM UPI, Credit or Debit cards, etc. However, it is interesting to note that women candidates and candidates belonging to SC/ ST, Persons with Disability (PwD) and Ex-servicemen are eligible for reservation and they are exempted from fee payment.
SSC JE Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of SSC JE is divided into two Papers i.e. Paper-I (Computer-based Test) and Paper-II (Written Test). The duration of each Paper is 2 hours. Given below are the details of these Papers:
|Papers||Exam Date||Exam Mode||Subject||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Paper-I: Objective Type||23.09.2019 to 27.09.2019||Computer-based Test||(i) General Intelligence and Reasoning
(ii) General Awareness
(iii) Part-A General Engineering (Civil & Structural)
or Part-B General Engineering (Electrical)
or Part-C General Engineering (Mechanical)
|Paper-II: Descriptive Type||29.12.2019||Written Test||Part-A General Engineering (Civil & Structural)
or Part- B General Engineering (Electrical)
or Part-C General Engineering (Mechanical)
Candidates need to note that there is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer in Paper-I. In Paper-II, they are permitted to use their own Calculator, Slide–Rule, Logarithm Tables and Steam Table only.
To know more about the exam pattern of other SSC Exams, visit the SSC Exam Pattern page
SSC JE Syllabus 2019
The SSC JE 2019 syllabus primarily consists of two Papers i.e. Paper-I and Paper-II. The Paper-I comprises Objective-type questions and Paper-II is of descriptive type. Check the distribution of topics in SSC JE Syllabus for Paper-I below:
- General Intelligence & Reasoning: It mainly consists of basic topics like relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, problem-solving, space visualization, visual memory, analysis and judgment, Analogies, decision making, discrimination, verbal and figures classification, Number series, etc.
- General Awareness: Under this category, the topics mainly comprise of Geography, Culture, History, Scientific Research, General Polity, etc.
- General Engineering: This includes specific topics pertaining to Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
SSC JE Syllabus for Paper-II: This Paper consists of three parts divided into core subjects such as:
- Part-A (Civil & Structural Engineering): It includes topics like Building Materials, Surveying, Estimating, Costing and Valuation, Concrete Technology, Irrigation Engineering, RCC Design, Hydraulics, etc.
- Part-B (Electrical Engineering): It includes topics like Circuit law, AC Fundamentals, Electrical Machines, Measurement and measuring instruments, Synchronous Machines, etc.
- Part- C (Mechanical Engineering): It includes topics like Theory of Machines and Machine Design, Thermal Engineering, Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials, Fluid Mechanics & Machinery, etc.
Candidates must fulfil the below-mentioned age requirement as on 1st August, 2019:
|Position||SSC JE Age Limit|
|Junior Engineer (Civil and Electrical), Department of Posts and Junior Engineer (Surveying & Contracts) and MES||18-27 Years|
|Junior Engineer (Civil, Electrical and Mechanical), MES, NTRO, Naval, Border Road Organization||30 Years|
|Junior Engineer (Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical) and CPWD||32 Years|
Candidates willing to appear the SSC JE 2018-19 exam are required to check the detailed SSC JE Eligibility Criteria and the basic requirements before they fill up the SSC JE Application Form. Here are some other key criteria that a candidate must adhere to before applying for this post:
- Educational Qualifications: Eligible candidates must hold the essential educational qualification for the post relevant to their degree. They should have passed the Matriculation examination or any equivalent degree from a recognised Board.
- Nationality: Candidates who are the citizens of the below-mentioned country are also eligible to take the exam as per the SSC JE 2019 Notification:
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before January 1, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania (Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
SSC JE Admit Card
Applicants who are taking the SSC JE Exam for 2018-2019 can download the SSC JE Admit Card from the official website of SSC (ssc.nic.in). They should carry it to the examination centre along with a Passport-size photo affixed on it on the scheduled exam day. While downloading the Admit Card from the relevant webpage, they need to click on the SSC JE Admit Card link and feed in the relevant credentials such as Registration Number and Date of Birth (DOB). It is advisable for applicants to keep a printout of the document for future reference.
To know more about the admit cards of other SSC Exams, visit the SSC Admit Card page
SSC JE Cut off
The SSC JE cut off is decided by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC). For the SSC JE Exam, the SSC would announce the Cut off /Merit list along with the results on the SSC official website. The SSC releases two different cut off marks for Paper-I and Paper-II each. In the table given below, we have listed the SSC JE Cut Off 2017 (Phase-I):
|SSC JE Cut off 2017(Phase – I)|
|Category||Electrical/Mechanical Engineering Cut Off||Civil Engineering Cut Off|
SSC JE 2017 Cutoff for Paper-II is given in the table below;
|SSC JE Cutoff 2017 ( Paper-II)|
|Category||Civil Engineering||Electrical/ Mechanical Engineering|
SSC JE Result
SSC usually announces the SSC JE result on the SSC official website (ssc.nic.in). The result would be declared once the exam is over. Applicants should click on the JE tab under the Result tab and click on the link ‘SSC JE Result’. This would open a PDF file wherein applicants need to search their respective roll number to view their result.
The Staff Selection Commission is a constitutional body which conducts various recruitment exams like Group “B” posts in the various Ministries/Departments of the Govt. of India and their Attached and Subordinate Offices.
In particular, the SSC holds Open Competitive Examinations for recruitment of the following posts:
|Lower Division Clerks||Central Secretariat Clerical Service /Indian Foreign Service (B), Railway Board Secretariat Clerical Service and the Armed Forces Headquarters Clerical Service|
|Grade “C” and Grade ‘D” Stenographers||Central Secretariat Stenographers Service and equivalent Grades of Indian Foreign Service, (B) Railway Board Secretariat Stenographers Service/Armed Forces Headquarters|
|Assistants||Central Secretariat Service/ IFS (B)/ Railway Board Secretariat Service/Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service|
|Inspectors of Central Excise
Inspectors of Income-Tax
Preventive Officers and Examiners
Assistant Enforcement Officers
|Collectorates of Central Excise,
Commissioners of Income-Tax,
Directorate of Enforcement
|Sub-Inspectors||Central Bureau of Investigation and Central Police Organisations|
|Divisional Accountants, Auditors and Accountants||Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India and other Accounts Departments and Upper Division Clerks|
|Junior Engineer (Civil & Electrical), a Group ‘C’ Non-Gazetted, Non-Ministerial,||CPWD, General Central Services (Technical)|
|Statistical Investigators, Grade IV of Subordinate Statistical Service (SSC), a Group ‘C’ non-gazetted, non-ministerial post||in the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation|
|Tax Assistant, a Group C non–Gazetted Ministerial post||Commissionerates of Central Board of Direct Taxes ( CBDT) and the Central Board of Excise and Customs)|
|Section Officer (Commercial Audit), a Group “B” Non-gazetted post||Indian Audit and Accounts Department|
|Section Officer (Audit), a Group B Non-Gazetted post||Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General|
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) also holds Departmental Examination for promotion purposes as well from:
|SSC Posts (For Promotion purposes)||Ministries/Departments|
|Group “D” to Lower Division Clerk Grade||Central Secretariat Clerical Service and equivalent grades in Indian Foreign Service (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Clerical Service/Armed Force Hqrs. Clerical Service|
|Lower Divisional Clerks to Upper Divisional Clerks Grade||Central Secretariat Clerical Service and equivalent Indian Foreign Service (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Clerical Service/Armed Forces Hqrs. Clerical Service|
|Stenographers Grade “D” to Stenographers Grade “C”||Central Secretariat Stenographers Service and equivalent grades in Indian Foreign Service (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Stenographers Service/Armed Forces Hqrs. Stenographers Service|
Have you been wondering how to kickstart your SSC JE 2018-19 exam preparation effectively? You can check out BYJU’S study materials which are extensive in nature and structured as per the exam pattern set by SSC. Watch out this space for more such useful content on SSC exams.