Candidates appearing for the SSC Combined Police Organization (CPO) Exam should be very particular about the latest SSC CPO Syllabus and exam pattern. Candidates should be updated on every detail related to the SSC CPO exam.
SSC CPO exam is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission to recruit candidates for SI/ASI posts in Delhi Police and Central Armed police force. For more details on other SSC Exams, refer to the linked article.
The Staff Selection Commission has released the official notification for SSC CPO 2020 exam to be conducted from September 29th 2020. Hence it is imperative for candidates to be well versed with the latest SSC CPO Syllabus and exam pattern mentioned in the notification.
|Table of Contents:|
SSC CPO Exam Pattern
SSC CPO examination has four different phases that a candidate has to clear in order to get selected for various posts Central Police Organisation.
SSC CPO Paper I is an Objective type Multiple Choice Question paper. The Physical Eligibility Test or PET/PST is conducted to ensure that a candidate is physically fit to be a part of the nation’s police force.
SSC CPO Paper II is a descriptive English Comprehension Test to check candidates’ understanding of English Language while the Medical Test is conducted to check that the candidate is able-bodied.
The four stages of SSC CPO exam pattern are as follows.
- Paper I
- Physical Test
- Medical Examination
Detailed SSC CPO Exam Pattern is as mentioned below:
SSC CPO Paper Pattern – Paper I
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50||02 hours|
|General Knowledge & Awareness||50|
SSC CPO Paper Pattern – Paper II
|English Language & Comprehension||200||02 hours|
SSC CPO PET/PST Test Pattern
|Belonging to Hilly regions & areas of J&K, North East & Sikkim||165||80/85||155|
Both Male and Female candidates have to qualify the PET test. Some important points on the same are given below:
|SSC CPO PET Test Qualifications|
|Male Candidates||Female candidates|
Salient points about SSC CPO Exam Pattern:
- As mentioned in the SSC CPO Exam Pattern, questions in both papers will be of Objective Multiple Choice Type.
- Questions will be set in Hindi and English in Parts-I, II and III of Paper-I.
- There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-I & Paper-II.
- The SSC (Staff Service Commission ) reserves the rights of altering the exam pattern.
- As per the SSC CPO Exam pattern, the Physical test and Medical Exams are to be conducted only after a successful score in Paper I & II. This is to ensure that the candidate is perfectly fit for the applied post.
- The physical test is done to determine the basic physical structure of the candidate like height, chest, etc.
- Medical Exam is done to verify certain aspects like fitness, vision, flat foot, knock knee, squint eyes, etc. to ensure that is free from all sorts of deformities that would hinder the efficiency during the duties.
The criteria for the Medical Test is given below:
- Minimum Near Vision: (better eye)-N6 and (worse eye) N9
- Minimum Distant Vision: (better eye) 6/6 and (worse eye) 6/9
- Must not have flat foot, varicose vein, knock knee, or squint in eyes
- Eye standards should be without visual correction of any kind even by glasses.
SSC CPO Syllabus
The syllabus for SSC CPO is decided by the conducting body i.e. the Staff Selection Commission itself. The below mentioned SSC CPO syllabus 2020 is for two written exams Paper I & Paper II. Both paper I and paper II examination of SSC CPO are conducted online.
Let’s take a look at detailed SSC CPO Syllabus 2020 (Topics and section-wise) for Paper I.
- SSC CPO General Intelligence & Reasoning Syllabus
SSC CPO Syllabus 2020 for General Intelligence & Reasoning ask questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. This can be really scoring if prepared well. The complete reasoning syllabus for SSC CPO exam is given below.
|SSC CPO Syllabus for General Intelligence & Reasoning|
|Topics||Types of Questions||Weightage|
|Analogy||Semantic and Figural analogy, letters and numbers Symbolic/Numbers, images and meaning-based||6-8 Questions|
|Coding/Decoding||Coding decoding by letter shifting, coding by analogy and words||3-5 Questions|
|Classifications||Semantic and Figural classifications, Symbolic/Numbers classification||6-7Questions|
|Series||Semantic, Figural, number and mixed series and series based on general knowledge||3-5 Questions|
|Order Ranking||The sequence of order and ranking will be asked from the given data||1-2 Questions|
|Direction & Distances||Problems based on network, routes and distances travelled are asked||1-3 Questions|
|Missing numbers||Numbers and alphabet-based Matrix and Diagrams||2-3 Questions|
|Alphabet or word test||Sequence and word formation, Matrix, jumbled words, suffix etc.||3-5 Questions|
|Venn diagram||Venn Diagram, Logical, Syllogism etc||4-5 Questions|
|Puzzles||Double line-up arrangements, circular arrangements, seating arrangements, linear arrangements etc.||3-5 Questions|
|Data sufficiency||Cubes and Dices, Arithmetic operation etc||4-5 Questions|
|Non- verbal reasoning||Paper folding, Cubes and dices, counting figures etc.||5-7 Questions|
Candidates can check important topics for Reasoning section:
For more such topics check the Logical Reasoning page.
- SSC CPO Syllabus General Knowledge & Awareness
General Awareness is always a scoring part to gain an edge in the exam. This section is really vast and consists of a number of topics. Candidates can check the SSC General Awareness page that collates the important topics for the general knowledge section in detail so that candidates can prepare conveniently.
The list is given below highlights the SSC CPO General Awareness Syllabus:
|SSC CPO Syllabus for General Knowledge & Awareness|
|Topics||Types of Questions||Weightage|
|History||Ancient and Medieval History, India’s freedom struggle||6-7 Questions|
|Geography||Indian and World Geography||5-6 Questions|
|Polity||Government Portfolios, Judiciary and Constitution of India||3-5 Questions|
|Science & Technology||Environment, Nutrition, Diseases, Physics, Chemistry, Biology etc.||10-13 Questions|
|Books and Authors||Famous Books And Authors||1.2 Question|
|Economy||Economic Organisation, Indian and world organisation||4-5 Questions|
|National & International Affairs||Government policies and schemes, National and International days, events and news etc.||10-11 Questions|
|International Organisations||International Organisation headquarter and their year of establishments||1-2 Questions|
|Current events||Latest Sports events, Venues and Winners||2-3 Questions|
Some important topics that candidates preparing for the Central Police Organization must go through are listed below:
- Governors in India
- Members of Parliament
- Members of Lok Sabha
- List of Arjuna Award Winners
- FIFA World Cup Winners List
- Fathers Of Various Fields
Candidates can also check the links below for GA/GK preparation for important general awareness topics that might be asked in the general awareness section of the exam.
SSC CPO Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude
Huge list of Topics are covered in this section. It tests candidates ability to use numbers appropriately. The main and major to score well in this section is speed and accuracy. hence candidates should know important Maths Tricks Shortcuts to ace this section. Below is the glance of complete QA syllabus for SSC CPO exam.
|SSC CPO Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude|
|Topics||Types of Questions||Weightage|
|Mixture Problems||Questions on mixtures of Two or Three quantities and their ratios||1-2 Questions|
|Ratio Proportions||Simple and compound ratios, Direct and indirect proportions||3-4 Questions|
|Number Systems||Rational, irrational Numbers, LCM, HCF, integers||1-3 Questions|
|Simplification||Fraction, BODMAS, Decimals, Ratios etc.||4-5 Questions|
|Algebra||Quadratic Equation, Linear Equation, Identities etc.||4-6 Questions|
|Profit and Loss||Partnership, Discounts and Marked Prices, Problems on Profit and Loss, successive sellings, etc.||4-5 Questions|
|Percentage||Basic Percentage Questions||1-2 Questions|
|Average||Average problems on Average of height, weight, Age, Marks, money expenditure, temperature etc.||2-3 Questions|
|Time and work||Time and Work, Work and Wages, Work efficiency, Pipes and cisterns etc.||1-2 Questions|
|Speed, Time and Distance||Problems on River, boats and streams, Relative speed etc.||1-3 Questions|
|Mensuration||Area, Surface Area and volume of Various Geometric Shapes||3-5 Questions|
|Simple Interest||Problems on Simple and compound interest||1-3 questions|
|Trigonometry||Height and distances, Identities, Trigonometric ratios etc||3-5 Questions|
|Geometry||Quadrilateral, Triangles, Circles, Chords, Cubes, cones etc.||4-6 Questions|
|Data Interpretations||Questions on Bar graph, Table, Pie Chart, Line Chart||4-5 Questions|
The List of important topics covered in the Quantitative Aptitude syllabus can be found in the linked page. Candidates can check the link to find topics such as these:
|Simplification and Approximation||Problems on Train|
|Problems on Age||Alligations and mixtures|
|Problem on Time and Work||Questions on Number Series|
To analyse the preparation level and understand the weak areas that need more attention for the main exam, aspirants of can take SSC CPO Mock Test daily.
- SSC CPO Syllabus For English Comprehension
English Syllabus has more weightage on Vocab, Grammar and Comprehension. It basically tests the understanding of correct english, basic grammar, comprehension and writing ability. Detailed syllabus for English section is as mentioned below.
|SSC CPO Syllabus For English Comprehension|
|Topics||Types Of Questions||Weightage|
|Idioms||One word substitution, meaning of Idioms||3-5 Questions|
|Error detection||Finding error in a sentence or a phrase||4-5 Questions|
|Vocabulary||Spellings, Synonyms and Antonyms||5-10 Questions|
|Cloze test||Questions based on passages containing particular idea, cloze tests||5-10 Questions|
|Reading comprehensions||Passages will focus on topics related to social issues, business and economies moral stories and humanities like Art, human behaviour, Psychology, medicine etc.||5-10 Questions|
|Grammar sections||Spotting the error, Phrase Replacements, Fill in the blanks||8-10 Questions|
SSC CPO Syllabus 2020- Paper II
SSC CPO Syllabus Paper II is a descriptive exam comprising only English section. Relevant questions asked in this paper are as follows.
|SSC CPO Syllabus Paper II|
|English Language & Comprehension||Error recognition, filling in the blanks (using verbs, preposition, articles etc), Vocabulary, Spellings, Grammar, Sentence Structure, Synonyms, Antonyms, Sentence Completion, Phrases and Idiomatic use of Words, comprehension etc.|
Check the given links to prepare for SSC CPO English Syllabus:
- Error Spotting
- Sentence Correction
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Sentence Rearrangements and Para-Jumbles
- One Word Substitution
- Reading Comprehension
More important topics on the General English For Competitive Exams can be found on the linked page that gives details on the concepts, rules and lists of various topics covered under this section.
SSC CPO Syllabus Related Links:
|SSC Online||SSC Recruitment||SSC Admit Card|
|SSC Exam Pattern||SSC Preparation||SSC Exam Date|
|SSC Results||SSC Eligibility||SSC Notification|
SSC CPO Books
To crack the CPO exam, aspirants should be careful when selecting the study material for preparation.
The best SSC CPO books are as follows:
General Intelligence & Reasoning:
- Analytical Reasoning by M K Pandey
- Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning by R S Aggarwal
- Reasoning For General Competition by KD Campus
- A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal, Non-Verbal & Analytical by BS Sijwali, Indu Sijwali
- Lucent’s General Knowledge
- Manorama Yearbook
- GS Set For General Competition by KD Campus
- Arihant’s Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations (RS Aggarwal)
- Arithmetics For General Competition Vol 1& 2 by Neetu Singh
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi
- Objective General English by RS Aggarwal
- A mirror of Common Errors by AK Singh
- Plinth To Paramount by KD Campus
- English For General Competition by Neetu Singh
- Word Power Made Easy
- One Word Substitution by Kiran
SSC CPO Book List:- Download PDF Here
SSC CPO Preparation Tips
10 important tips to crack the SSC CPO Exam:
1. Be updated on the SSC CPO official Notification.
2. Go through the Exam Pattern and SSC CPO syllabus and divide your topics as per the weightage.
3. Collect important study material like important books for the CPO Exam.
4. Make notes of the lengthy topics in a clear and proper way.
5. Practice SSC mock test and previous years’ paper and try improving your logical, analytical skills.
6. Improve your solving speed and try to cut down on silly mistakes.
7. Clear all your doubts by taking the online quiz or some offline help by the experts or mentors.
8. Have enough break time in between your preparation hours. Avoid sitting for long hours continuously.
9. Keep enough time for revision before the exams.
10. Keep yourself healthy and avoid stress.
This article will help the candidates to prepare for the CPO Exam in a better and easier way which will ultimately help them score well in the exam.