English is an important part of major competitive and government exams. Even though the general English section is a bit tricky, candidates can fetch good scores if they have strong basics in English.
Hence, this article will provide important topics in general English for competitive exams. Candidates will get competitive exams PDFs on English pertaining to various topics containing lists, rules and general English questions and answers.
Aspirants who are willing to apply for the various Government exams 2021 must go through the topics of general English for competitive exams, as the English language is a key part of the syllabus, for most of these exams.
|Preparing for the upcoming Government exams? Refer to the links given below for your assistance:|
Topics of General English for Competitive Exams
The English section is considered to be the most important and scoring section as it does not involve any formula or tricks to remember. Moreover, answering questions in the general English section takes lesser time when compared to other tricky sections of competitive exams.
General English questions are designed in the examination to test candidates knowledge and understanding of basic grammar, vocabulary and important rules of the English language.
Hence, given below are a few important topics of general English for competitive exams to assist candidates in their preparations.
- Rules For Tenses
- Rules For Prepositions
- List of Prepositions
- Rules and List of Conjunctions
- Active And Passive Voice Rules
- List of One Word Substitutions
- List of Homophones/Homonyms
- List of Synonyms and Antonyms
- Idioms And Phrases
- Spotting the Error
- Reading Comprehension
- Cloze Test
- Letter Writing Format
- Precis Writing
- Sentence Correction Questions
- Adjective Degree Of Comparison Rules
- Article Rules
- Direct & Indirect Speech Rules
- Sentence Rearrangement & Para jumbles
Candidates are advised to keep a track of this page as we’ll keep adding new topics of general English for competitive exams, in the list given above.
Candidates who are preparing for different competitive exams must keep abreast with the common and confusing words and their differences, as these are frequently asked in the English section of the examinations. Check the list below:
Aspirants can check 100 difference between articles for revision in the linked page, where they will get differences between important concepts and topics covered under different subjects, relevant from the exam point of view.
After going through the concepts and rules on important topics given above, aspirants can check the relevant English questions and answers that are frequently asked in various government exams or other competitive exams.
For more question and answer articles on important topics of the Verbal Ability section, candidates can visit the linked article.
Aspirants of upcoming government exams can also check important topics for general awareness sections in the links provided below:
General English Syllabus for Competitive Exams
The English Syllabus for competitive exams covers a variety of topics like synonyms and antonyms, fill in the blanks, cloze test, reading comprehension, para-jumbles, error spotting and more.
Candidates, in order to clear the general English section of various government exams easily, need to possess excellent vocabulary, grammar and communication skills.
Therefore, to prepare English for competitive exams and to secure good marks it is important to be updated with the detailed English syllabus.
Given below are some of the topics of General English syllabus broadly covered in almost all competitive exams –
|English Syllabus For Competitive Exams|
|Vocabulary||Synonyms And Antonyms, Homonyms|
|Spelling Test/Cloze Test|
|Fill in the Blanks|
|Idioms & Phrases|
|One Word Substitution|
|Sentence or Phrase Improvement|
|Grammar||Active and Passive Voice|
|Direct & Indirect Speech|
|Fill in Blanks – Conjunction, Preposition, Tenses, etc.|
|Sentence Correction/Error Spotting|
|Rearrangement of Sentences||Para Jumbles/ Jumbled Sentence|
|Descriptive||Essay Writing/ Letter Writing/ Precis Writing|
Candidates preparing for the various government exams can refer to the detailed exam syllabus from the links given below:
Sample – General English Question and Answer for Competitive Exams
To understand the prominence of English in the competitive exam it is important to understand the types of general English questions and answers asked in the government exams. Hence, given below are a few examples of the type of questions asked in these examinations.
Q.1. Given below are 5 parts of a sentence, you are required to make a meaningful sentence. The correct order of parts is the answer:
A. Left B. The C. House D. He E. Suddenly
Answer (3) DEABC
Q.2. In the following questions, find the correctly spelt word:
Answer (2) Recommendation
Q.3. Rearrange the parts to form a meaningful sentence:
I read an advertisement that said : (A) posh, air-conditioned (B) gentleman of taste (C) are available for (D) fully furnished rooms.
Answer (2) ADCB
Q.4. Find the word spelt correctly
Answer (3) efficient
Q.5. Bring out a meaningful sentence:
Then (A) it struck me (B) of course (C) suitable it was (D) how eminently
Apart from the above-mentioned questions, to check more variety and scope of general English questions and answers go through Previous Year Question Papers PDF with Solutions.
Tips For General English Preparation
- Building vocabulary: This contributes the most to ace the English language section of competitive exams. Learn new words every day and use them in daily conversation to remember them for a longer time period. Make use of flashcards for vocabulary building. Nowadays, many mobile applications for online flashcards have gained popularity, download and use them to memorize new words.
- Strong Grammar Basics: Brush up and strengthen basic English grammar essentials such as noun, verb, pronoun, tenses, prepositions, conjunctions, degree of comparison, etc. Go through English grammar tests and guides, use English books like Wren and Martin to prepare. Practise exercises on tenses and active-passive voices, etc on a daily basis. Take up writing tasks, form meaningful sentences, analyse mistakes and improve.
- Improve comprehension skills: Practise reading comprehension daily, identify the manner of the paragraph and read the starting and last paragraph thoroughly, two times. Note down major points while reading to remember and carefully go through the questions to recognise and find the answer easily.
- Reading newspapers and magazines – Daily habits of going through important newspapers and magazines will help improve grammar and vocabulary. Analyze the formation of sentences, note down new words and learn their meanings. With all this, you will simultaneously prepare for general awareness and current affairs as well.
- Error spotting is difficult as you cannot remember all the grammar rules, therefore with serious reading habits, you will intuitively get to know the error in the sentence. Similarly, sentence formation is also built up with reading exercise.
For further information regarding any competitive or government exams, their syllabus and other preparation tips, candidates can turn to BYJU’S for assistance.