Understanding Center vs Centre is important for candidates to fetch good marks in the General English Section of Competitive exams.
Centre and Center are the same words with different spellings. However, their usage depends on the English being used i.e. American or British.
Candidates preparing for different Government exams must learn the usage or difference between the centre and center carefully so that they can avoid marking incorrect answers in English section.
Center Vs Centre with Example
Given below are points of comparison between Centre and Center:
- Acceptance- The word Center and Centre have no difference in their meaning and both are accepted officially.
- Usage – both the words can be used as a noun as well as verb.
- Meaning – as a noun the word center and centre means point of an area or middle part of something. It also refers to a building, an organization, facility, etc. As a verb, the word center and centre signifies the action of placing something into the middle, to revolve around the main topic, or to find the midpoint of something.
- The point of difference between center and centre – the only aspect that determines the difference between centre vs center is the region where these words are generally used. The American or US english prefers ‘Center’ while in British English or UK english uses ‘Centre’.
Check out a few examples related to Centre or Center –
- She is chief center player in the Hockey team
- Please keep the new books at the centre of the cabinet.
- The discussion in the staff room centered the programme of the board examination.
- The chocolate I ate had a delicious cherry at the center.
- The Grand Center Mall is a big building with five entrances and exits.
- He will be representing the team in football as center player
- Centre yourself in the present moment to practice yoga effectively
- My mother is a doctor at the heart care center hospital.
- My friends brother has learned golf from the Golf Training Center.
- The Grandiose apartments by prestigious builders are not being built at the centre but the outer of the main city.
Questions on Centre vs Center can be asked in the form of spotting the error in english language section or under the reading comprehension part. Candidates can check important tips to master the error spotting to get through the general english section easily.
Like centre vs center there are more differences between articles that candidates can go through for a clear understanding of basic concepts.
- Difference between Rain, Reign and Rein
- Difference between Beside and Besides
- Difference between Award and Reward
- Difference between Precis and Summary
- Difference between Affect and Effect
- Difference between Fair and Fare
- Difference between Principal and Principle
- Difference between Phrase and Clause
- Difference between Yolk and Yoke
- Difference between Subject And Predicate
- Difference between Programme and Program
Also, check topic-wise subject-wise and concept-wise 100 difference between articles in the linked page.
The difference between articles given above are homophones word, candidates can check out the list of homonyms, homophones or homographs with example sentences for clarification.
The questions based on centre and center or other homophones asked in government exams are tricky, hence candidates can check out important Sentence Correction Questions to practice well for the exams.
The syllabus of the English language is vast and for convenient preparation of this section, candidates can check English For Competitive exams. The page will provide relevant topics for general English sections preparations such as the ones given below:
- Adjective Degree of Comparison Rules
- List of Synonyms and Antonyms
- List of One Word Substitutions
- Idioms and Phrases
Candidates must be aware of the detailed syllabus of respective exams they aspire to write for a strategic and effective study plan. Given below are the topic-wise syllabus for relevant examinations that candidates can refer to.
Aspirants of various government exams like SSC, RRB, Bank, Insurance or UPSC can refer to the given links for assistance in preparation.
- Government Exam Free Online Mock Tests
- Previous Year Question Papers with Solution PDF
- SSC General Awareness
- Static GK
- Current Affairs