LIC syllabus for the AAO, ADO & HFL exams is set by the Life Insurance Corporation of India, which is the conducting body for all LIC exams.
The LIC exams are one of the most sought after exams in the Insurance sector and aspirants of the three exams (AAO, ADO and HFL) under LIC should be thorough with the LIC Syllabus to ace these exams.
Candidates can also know about the other insurance exams conducted in the country at the linked article and start their preparation for the upcoming exams accordingly.
|Test your preparation for the LIC exams with the Free Online Mock Test Series based on the LIC syllabus.
Also, refer to the links given below and ace the upcoming LIC exams 2020:
Candidates are advised to be thorough with LIC exam pattern as well before applying for any of the exams mentioned above.
As for 2020, LIC has only released vacancies for LIC AAO exam and LIC ADO & HFL vacancies are yet awaited. But candidates must start their preparation for the upcoming exams.
The Life Insurance Corporation of India conducts the following exams for appointing candidates to various posts:
- LIC AAO : LIC released a notification to recruit 168 eligible candidates to fill in the AAO posts for the year 2020.
- LIC ADO: For the year 2019, LIC has invited applicants for a total of 8,581 vacancies for the ADO post.
- LIC HFL: The official Notification of LIC HFL exam 2019 is released on 8th August 2019 to recruit 300 eligible candidates in HFL Assistant, Associates and Assistant Manager Posts.
Aspirants can check the detailed LIC HFL Notification here.
This article will upkeep you with the LIC syllabus along with the exam pattern in LIC exams. For the aspirants, there are detailed LIC exam preparation tips to give an edge in the three exams mentioned above.
LIC Syllabus & Exam Pattern For AAO Exam
LIC AAO exam is conducted for the post of Assistant Administrative Officer which is further categorised as:
- AAO Generalist
- AAO IT
- AAO Chartered Accountant
- AAO Actuarial
- AAO Rajbhasha
- AAO Legal
LIC Exam pattern for AAO Exam
The LIC exam pattern in AAO exam is done in three phases followed by a Pre-recruitment Medical Test.
The three phases of LIC exam pattern comprises:
- Phase-I: Preliminary Examination
- Phase-II: Mains Examination
- Phase-III: Interview
LIC Syllabus For AAO Exam
The prelims examination consists of objective type questions and comprises:
- Reasoning ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English language
The Prelims LIC syllabus and exam pattern for all the categories of LIC AAO is the same.
The LIC syllabus for AAO Mains differs according to the specialization candidates have opted.
The topics mainly cover the following areas:
- Reasoning Ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English language
- Insurance and Financial Market Awareness
- General Awareness & Current Affairs
- Professional Knowledge (subject opted)
Detailed LIC Syllabus and exam pattern in AAO exam are given below:
|LIC AAO Exam Pattern|
|LIC AAO Exam||Syllabus||Marks||Duration|
|Preliminary Exam||Quantitative Aptitude||35marks||20 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||35 marks||20 minutes|
|English Language with special emphasis on grammar, vocabulary and comprehension||30 marks||20 minutes|
|Mains Exam (CA/Actuarial/Rajbhasha/IT)||Reasoning Ability||90 marks||40 minutes|
|Insurance and Financial Market Awareness||60 marks||20 minutes|
|General Knowledge, Current Affairs||60 marks||20 minutes|
|Professional knowledge||90 marks||40 minutes|
|English Language (Letter Writing & Essay)||25 marks||30 minutes|
|Mains Exam (Legal)||Reasoning Ability||90 marks||40 minutes|
|Professional Knowledge||90 marks||40 minutes|
|General Awareness, Current Affairs||60 marks||20 minutes|
|Insurance and Financial Market Awareness||60 marks||20 minutes|
|Legal Drafting for AAO||25 marks||30 marks|
Check the detailed LIC AAO syllabus in the linked article.
For verbal ability preparation tips and syllabus, candidates can check the General English for Competitive Exams page.
Other Related Links:
|LIC ADO Recruitment||LIC AAO recruitment|
|AAO Eligibility||LIC HFL Recruitment|
|LIC AAO Result||LIC AAO Cut Off|
LIC Syllabus & Exam Pattern For ADO Exam
. The LIC ADO examination is conducted for the post of Apprentice Development Officer under three different categories:
- Open Market: open for all the candidates
- LIC Employee: open for candidates who are a full-time salaried employee of LIC (under Grade III)
- LIC Agent: open for candidates who work as agents under LIC.
LIC Exam Pattern in ADO exam
The exam is conducted in three phases:
- Phase-I: Online written test
- Phase-II: Interview/personality test
- Phase-III: Medical Exam
The written test is a computer-based test consisting of two rounds:
- LIC ADO Prelims
- LIC ADO Mains
The Prelims exam is applicable only for the Open Market Category and is of objective type.
To know more, refer to the table below:
|LIC exam pattern in ADO preliminary exam|
|LIC ADO Prelims||Total marks||Duration|
|Paper-I: Reasoning||35||20 minutes|
|Paper-II: Numerical ability||35||20 minutes|
|Paper-III: English language||30||20 minutes|
The marks for the English language is of qualifying nature and is not considered for the ranking.
While the candidates who are LIC employee or LIC agent only need to appear for LIC Mains examination.
LIC ADO Mains Exam consists of three papers:
- Paper-I: Reasoning Ability & Numerical Ability
- Paper-II: General Knowledge, Current Affairs & English Language
- Paper-III: Insurance Marketing
The marking pattern for all the categories varies accordingly. Check the table given below to understand the marking pattern.
LIC exam pattern for Open Market Category
|Stages||Total number of questions||Maximum marks||Duration of exam|
|Paper-I||50||50||Composite 120 minutes|
|Paper – III||50||50|
LIC exam pattern for Agents Category
|Stages||Total number of questions||Maximum marks||Duration of exam|
|Paper-I||25||10||Composite 120 minutes|
|Paper – III||50||125|
LIC exam pattern for employee category
|Stages||Total Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration of Exam|
|Paper I||25||25||Composite Time of 120 minutes|
The medium of language for all the categories is either English or Hindi except for English language and vocabulary.
LIC Exam pattern Phase-II Personal Interview
The candidates who qualify the cut-off marks in the Mains Examination are called for an interview round. The interview is of 37 marks and includes aptitude based questions to check the reasoning and thinking capability of the candidate.
LIC Exam Pattern Phase-III Medical Exam
Before releasing the final merit list, LIC conducts a medical test for the shortlisted candidates. Only those candidates who are found will be selected for the post of Apprentice Development Officer.
LIC Syllabus for ADO post
The topics covered in Paper-I and Paper-II of LIC ADO exam is the same for all three categories but it is slightly different in Paper-III.
The topics covered in LIC syllabus for ADO exam is mentioned below:
|LIC Syllabus for the three categories in ADO exam|
|Categories||Paper-I (Same for all)||Paper-II (Same for all)||Paper-III|
|Open Market||Reasoning Ability & Numerical Ability||General Knowledge, Current Affairs and English Language||Insurance and Financial Marketing Awareness with special emphasis on knowledge of Life Insurance and Financial Sector, Principles of Insurance|
|LIC Employees||Practice and Principle of Insurance Marketing|
|LIC Agents||Elements of Insurance and Marketing of Insurance|
To know the detailed LIC ADO Syllabus, refer to the linked article.
LIC Syllabus & Exam Pattern For HFL Post
As per the latest notification released by LIC. 35 vacancies have been released for the post of Assistant Manager (Legal) for the year 2019-20. Given below are the important dates for the recruitment procedure:
|LIC HFL Assistant Manager (legal) Exam 2019-20|
|Online Registration Begins||December 2, 2019|
|Online Registration Closes||December 16. 2019|
|Online Examination||January 27, 2020|
Candidates who wish to apply for LIC HFL recruitment exam 2019, must know the detailed LIC syllabus and exam pattern of HFL exam.
LIC Exam Pattern in HFL exam
LIC exam pattern for HFL recruitment comprises three-phases:
- HFL Online Examination
- Medical test
The LIC exam pattern for Assistant, Associate and Assistant Manager posts in HFL exam is the same, but the level of difficulty changes as per the post.
LIC exam pattern for written test in HFL exam:
- LIC HFL recruitment exam is an objective type paper in the English language only with multiple-choice questions.
- Candidates are given 2 hours time to complete the exam.
The table below will brief you about the LIC exam pattern followed in HFL exam:
|LIC exam pattern HFL Post|
|Subjects||Duration||No of Question||Max Marks|
|English Language||35 Minutes||50 each||50 each|
|Logical Reasoning||35 Minutes|
|General Awareness||15 Minutes|
|Numerical Ability||35 Minutes|
Phase-II- Interview Round
LIC HFL recruitment board reserves the right to fix the minimum cut-off marks to finalize the number of candidates to be called for the next round i.e. the interview.
Phase-II- Medical Test
The candidate who successfully qualifies the online exam and interview is called for the final selection has to undergo the medical test conducted by LIC HFL.
The syllabus for most bank exams is similar to the syllabus for LIC exams. So candidates can also check the bank exam syllabus at the linked article.
LIC Syllabus For HFL Exam
LIC syllabus for HFL exam is vast and divided into four sections.
Candidates who wish to apply for HFL post must be well versed with LIC exam syllabus to prepare well for the exam.
The LIC exam Syllabus for HFL post covers the following sections:
- Quantitative Aptitude i.e. Numerical Ability
- General Awareness
- English Language
To know the section-wise topics of LIC HFL Syllabus and exam pattern refer to the linked article.
LIC Exam Preparation
Due to the vast syllabus and competitive nature of the LIC exams, candidates often find it difficult to crack the written exam at the first attempt.
Along with thorough knowledge of LIC Syllabus and exam pattern, aspirants must be aware of some strategies and important tips for LIC exam preparation.
Candidates can refer to the following LIC exam preparation tips to score well in the exam:
- Candidates must go through the entire syllabus first before starting with their LIC exam preparation.
- A time-schedule is really important for the preparation of any exam. Divide the time for each subject equally.
- Candidates should look for their strengths in the paper and make sure they prepare them well.
- The exam that is only qualifying in nature, candidates should prepare and attempt questions that they are confident about.
- Even though there is no negative marking in some of the LIC exams, candidates should not attempt the questions they are not sure of.
- For candidates applying for ADO and AAO exams should be well prepared for their professional subject section as that may help them score well in the paper.
- Reading newspapers daily, keeping a track on all recent activities around the world would help get marks quickly in the general awareness section.
- Practising LIC mock tests regularly provides an idea about the structure of the paper and helps maintain the speed balance. There are many LIC mock tests available online.
Candidate applying for AAO exam can check the linked article for the LIC AAO preparation.
Subject-wise LIC exam preparation tips
Tips for English Language preparation
- Read newspaper like The Times of India, The Hindu, and Economic Times
- Much importance should be given to Vocabulary building. Learn new words each day to enhance your word power
- Brush up basic grammar with emphasis on Articles, Tenses Voice Change, and Subject-Verb Agreement.
- Practice Error Spotting, Reading Comprehension, Sentence Correction, Para Jumbles each day.
- Practice LIC HFL online tests regularly.
Tips for Quantitative Aptitude preparation:
- This section is standard for all candidates in the preliminary exam, but in the mains exam, this section is only included in the Generalist cadre.
- This section requires strong mathematical skills and candidates should practice thoroughly to get a faster speed in attempting questions in this section.
- The candidates should brush up the basics of mathematics as the questions included in the section are based on basic maths concepts.
- Candidates should first attempt the questions that can be solved quickly like inequalities, number series, approximation, etc. and then move to the longer ones.
Candidate can check the maths tricks to solve the Quantitative Aptitude section easily and more efficiently.
Tips for General Awareness preparation:
- General Awareness section helps to fetch a lot of marks. Just grab some good books and study material and learn them by to ace this section.
- Newspaper, Magazines and Business Journal readings on a daily basis are of utmost importance to prepare for current affairs sections.
- There are some really good apps for daily GK preparation that can also help in your general awareness preparation.
- Lastly, practise online quizzes to test your GK preparation.
Candidates can check the banking awareness syllabus and other important topics at the linked article.
Tips for Reasoning Ability preparation:
- This section is standard for all candidates applying for the preliminary exam and mains exam. Candidates should try attempting the questions which can be attempted quickly first and then move to the difficult problems in the section. This would help them manage time well in the exam.
- Syllogism, coding-decoding, direction test, inequalities should be attempted first as this would take lesser time to attempt.
- This section requires mental alertness and logical skills.
Aspirants of LIC exam paper can check the link for their Logical Reasoning preparation.
Tips for Professional Knowledge preparation:
- Candidates applying for the AAO post for IT, CA, Actuarial and Rajbhasha section must be prepared well for the specialization they have chosen because this section holds the maximum marks in the mains examination.
- Applicants must go through the previous year question papers and regularly take LIC mock test to know the pattern of the exam and prepare as per the trend of the questions.
Insurance and Financial Market Awareness:
- For this section, candidates must be abreast with the news, latest policies, development, and events related to insurance and financial market.
- Regular reading of the business, finance and economic pages in the newspaper is a must to qualify this section.
- Candidates must be aware of banking and insurance history, different laws and policies and all financial institutions in the country as well.
Get notes regarding the Indian Financial System at the linked article.
The syllabus for bank exams and insurance exams is almost the same. Hence candidates preparing for various insurance exams can also check the detailed bank exam syllabus for the section-wise syllabus.
Aspirants must solve mock tests on a regular basis to practise and prepare themselves based on the latest exam pattern and syllabus and also know the type of questions asked in the LIC exams. In the links given below candidates will find mock test series for different LC exams.
LIC Exam Book
Candidates can refer to a lot of books available online for preparing for LIC exam paper.
Candidates should always choose from the latest edition of books available for the respective exam.
Important Books for LIC exam paper is as follows.
|LIC AAO Books|
|Name of the book||Name of the Author|
|Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal||Quantitative Aptitude by Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude by RS Agarwal||Wren & Martin’s English Grammar|
|Objective General English by SP Bakshi||A New Approach to Reasoning: Verbal and Non-Verbal by B.S. Sijwali & Indu Sijwali|
|Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Pandey||Static General Knowledge by Arihant Publications|
|Kiran’s LIC AAO Prelim Online Exam Practice Workbook by Kiran Prakashan||CAT Quantitative Ability by Arun Sharma|
|Objective Computer Science & Information Technology by Jushta Jaiswal||Lucent’s General Knowledge|
|LIC ADO Books|
|Name of the books||Publisher Name|
|LIC ADO – L.I.C. Apprentice Development Officers Recruitment Exam||Dr Lal & Jain|
|Kiran’s Lic Ado Prelim. Online Exam Practice Work Book-English||Kiran Prakashan|
|Guide to LIC ADO (Apprentice Development Officers) Preliminary Exam 2019 with 3 Online Tests||Disha Publication|
|Life Insurance Corporation of India Apprentice Development Officer (LIC ADO) Recruitment Examination||Arihant Publication|
List of books for LIC exam paper common for all exams:
|Books for Reasoning|
|Name of the books||Name of the authors|
|Logical & Analytical Reasoning (English)||A. K. Gupta|
|A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal & Non-Verbal (English)||B. S. Sijwali, Indu Sijwali|
|Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||R.S.Aggarwal|
|Books for English|
|Perfect Competitive English||V.K.Sinha|
|Competitive General English||Kiran Prakashan|
|Objective General English||S.P.Bakshi|
Candidates should mainly focus on the grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension parts while preparing for the English exam.
|Books for General Awareness|
|General Knowledge by Binary Karn (Lucent Publications)|
|General Knowledge by Arihant Publications|
|General Physics by Rakesh Yadav|
|General Science by Lucent (English)|
Since the insurance sector exams are not annually conducted, candidates must know that whenever the recruitment notification for LIC exams is released, lakhs of aspirants turn out to appear for the exam as the job profile is decent and there are great prospects of career growth.
Candidates must carefully go through the LIC Syllabus given in this article and refer to the preparation tips and booklist provided as they may help them prepare for the upcoming LIC exams 2020.
For any further assistance like study material, notes, assistance, etc., candidates can refer to BYJU’S.