The IBPS PO Exam is conducted every year by the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection.
The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) provides recruitment and training services to a common standard for public sector banks (PSB).
There are a number of bank exams that the institute conducts, out of which IBPS PO is the most popular exam.
This IBPS PO exam enables the recruitment of probationary officers for all the member PSBs as well as a few public sector insurance companies.
The institute has renamed the Bank PO exam as the Common Written Examination (CWE PO/MT) in 2011.
The upcoming exam in 2019 will be called CWE PO/MT IX as it is the ninth edition of this test. In this article, we will discuss the key features of the IBPS PO exam.
For more details on Upcoming bank exams, refer to the linked article.
For detailed information on various Government exams, refer to the linked article.
|Important IBPS Exam Related Topics:|
|IBPS PO Eligibility||IBPS Online Registration|
|IBPS PO Books||IBPS Clerk Exam|
IBPS PO Notification
The IBPS PO Notification 2019 has been published by the Institute for the upcoming exam.
After this, the IBPS PO Exam recruitment process for probationary officers will be declared.
The IBPS exam notification for officer selection gives an idea about any recent update with respect to the exam.
IBPS PO Apply Online
The application process for IBPS PO is completely online. Candidates can register for the exam from the official website.
The following fees have to be paid by the aspirants for completing their IBPS PO exam online application:
|IBPS PO online application Category||IBPS PO Online Application Fees|
The IBPS PO admit card is issued to candidates who fulfill all the PO eligibility criteria and have paid the registration fees online.
For more details on the IBPS PO online application, refer to the linked article.
IBPS PO Exam Date
The tentative IBPS PO exam date would be between mid-October 2019 till mid-November 2019 for both stages of the exam.
The IBPS exam calendar for probationary officer exam:
|Name of IBPS PO Exam||IBPS PO Exam date|
|CWE PO/MT Preliminary Exam||October 12, 2019|
|October 13, 2019|
|October 19, 2019|
|CWE PO/MT Main Exam||November 30, 2019|
Candidates should keep checking the official website for the notification for the exam to be published between the last week of July and the first week of August 2019.
IBPS PO exam date will be released once the official notification for the Bank PO Exam is released.
IBPS exam dates are available in the official calendar.
IBPS PO Exam Pattern
The IBPS PO exam pattern consists of three stages, which are:
IBPS PO Preliminary Exam:
Also known as the CWE PO/MT Prelims, it consists of an online objective test consisting of three sections.
Each section mentioned in the IBPS PO Prelims Exam Pattern is allotted 20 minutes and the total duration is 1 hour.
The IBPS PO Exam Pattern is given below:
|Section||Number of Questions||Marks Allotted||Time Allotted|
|English Language||30||30||20 min|
|Numerical Ability||35||35||20 min|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 min|
IBPS PO Exam Pattern for Prelims- Salient Points
- The total marks for this paper are 100.
- There is negative marking for each wrong answer.
- The penalty for each incorrect answer is 1/4th of the marks allotted to that question.
- Based on the result of the prelims, candidates clearing the declared cutoff are invited to appear in the next stage, the Main exam.
IBPS PO Main Exam Pattern:
The IBPS PO Mains exam pattern consists of one objective type and one descriptive paper.
The examination is conducted online for a total duration of 3 hours and 30 minutes.
The IBPS PO Exam Pattern for mains is as follows:
|Paper||Section||Number of Questions||Marks Allotted||Time Allotted|
|Objective Test||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 min|
|English Language||35||40||40 min|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||45 min|
|General Awareness, Economy & Banking Awareness||40||40||35 min|
|Descriptive Test||English Language (Letter Writing & Essay)||2||25||30 min|
IBPS PO Exam Pattern for Mains- Salient Points
- To be able to move on to the next stage of the exam, candidates have to score above the bank PO cutoff declared by the institute as well as the sectional cutoffs.
- The marks are not intimated to successful candidates prior to the interview.
For complete details on IBPS PO Exam Pattern, refer to the linked article.
The IBPS interview is conducted by the respective banks based on the results of the main examination. Usually, the IBPS PO interview lasts for 15-20 minutes and the panel consists of bank officials.
Questions can be asked from Current affairs, banking awareness and about the candidates themselves.
The IBPS PO interview is allotted a total of 100 marks.
Supporting documents such as educational certificates, identity documents and certificates of achievement are also checked during the Bank PO interview.
Bank PO Syllabus
The IBPS sets the bank PO syllabus.
The IBPS PO syllabus is the same as all other bank PO syllabuses.
The IBPS PO syllabus can be divided into two parts based on the exam pattern:
- IBPS PO Prelims Syllabus
- IBPS PO Mains Syllabus
IBPS PO Prelims Syllabus
The following table gives the breakup of the IBPS PO Prelims syllabus for 2019
|Reasoning||Quantitative Aptitude||English Language|
|Logical Reasoning||Simplification||Reading Comprehension|
|Alphanumeric Series||Profit & Loss||Cloze Test|
|Ranking/Direction/Alphabet Test||Mixtures & Alligations||Para jumbles|
|Data Sufficiency||Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices||Multiple Meaning / Error Spotting|
|Coded Inequalities||Work & Time||Fill in the blanks|
|Seating Arrangement||Time & Distance||Miscellaneous|
|Puzzle||Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere||Paragraph Completion|
|Syllogism||Ratio & Proportion, Percentage|
|Blood Relations||Number Systems|
|Input-Output||Sequence & Series|
|Coding-Decoding||Permutation, Combination & Probability|
IBPS PO Mains Syllabus
The IBPS PO Mains syllabus is quite similar to the Prelims syllabus except for few topics.
The main topics covered in the bank PO mains are as follows:
|Quantitative Aptitude||General Awareness||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||English Language|
|Simplification||Financial Awareness||Verbal Reasoning||Reading Comprehension|
|Percentage||General Knowledge||Circular Seating Arrangement||Grammar|
|Ratio and Percentage||Linear Seating Arrangement||Verbal Ability|
|Data Interpretation||Double Lineup|
|Mensuration and Geometry||Scheduling|
|Problems of Ages||Directions and Distances|
|Profit and Loss||Ordering and Ranking|
|Number Series||Data Sufficiency|
|Speed, Distance and Time||Coding and Decoding|
|Time and Work||Code Inequalities|
|Linear Equation||Keyboard Shortcuts|
|Permutation and Combination||Computer Abbreviation|
|And Probability||Microsoft Office|
|Mixture and Allegations||Computer Hardware|
|Computer Fundamentals /Terminologies|
IBPS PO Admit Card
The IBPS PO Admit Card for Prelims exam has been released for 2019 exam in July.
IBPS PO Admit Card for Prelims Exam is issued to candidates who have completed their IBPS PO Application Process successfully.
IBPS PO Mains Admit Card will be issued to candidates who have passed the first stage of IBPS PO 2019 Exam.ie. Preliminary exam.
Similarly, the Call Letter for the IBPS Interview Process will be issued to those candidates who will successfully clear the IBPS PO Mains Exam 2019.
For details on the IBPS PO Admit Card, refer to the linked article.
IBPS PO Result
IBPS PO is one of the most competitive examinations in India.
The IBPS PO result is declared after preparing a merit list of all the qualified candidates and is issued as a list of candidates given provisional allotment.
The IBPS PO results for the exam are usually published during the months of March and April.
The IBPS PO results are declared in the form of a scorecard as well as a list of candidates provisionally allocated an organization.
The Institute conducts IBPS PO mock tests to enable aspirants to get an idea of the examination.
However, it is advisable for candidates to do proper IBPS preparation using many important study material than that available on the official website.
This would ensure that the chances of success are high and the candidates come out of the IBPS PO exam process as a banker.
IBPS Cut-off Score
The relevant details related to the IBPS PO cut-off score for the Exam is as follows:
- Each candidate will be required to obtain a minimum cut-off score in each test of IBPS Main examination online and also a minimum total score to be considered to be shortlisted for an interview.
- Depending on the number of vacancies available, IBPS PO cut-offs will be decided and candidates will be shortlisted for IBPS interview.
- Prior to the completion of the IBPS interview process, scores obtained in the online Main examination will not be shared with the candidates shortlisted for interview.
IBPS PO Exam Centre
- The important details related to the IBPS PO Exam Centres are as follows:
- The examination will be conducted online in venues across many centres in India.
- The tentative list of Examination centres for the IBPS Online Preliminary examination and those for IBPS Main examination is given in the official notification.
- No request for change of centre for Examination shall be entertained.
- IBPS, however, reserves the right to cancel any of the Examination Centres and/ or add some other Centres, at its discretion, depending upon the response, administrative feasibility, etc.
- IBPS also reserves the right to allot the candidate to any centre other than the one he/she has opted for.
- The candidate will appear for the examination at an Examination Centre at his/her own risk and expenses and IBPS will not be responsible for any injury or losses etc. of any nature.
- Any unruly behaviour/misbehaviour in the examination hall may result in cancellation of candidature/ disqualification from this exam and also from future exams conducted by IBPS.