The Insitute of Banking Personnel Selection sets the IBPS Exam Pattern.
The IBPS PO exam is one of the most competitive examinations in India.
Though the syllabus is not as hard as some other examinations, the number of applicants and the extremely limited time allowed for the IBPS exam play a major role in raising the overall difficulty level.
In view of the above, it is imperative that aspirants familiarise themselves with the IBPS Exam Pattern.
This would enable them to develop an effective preparation strategy for the upcoming bank exams.
In this article, we will discuss the IBPS PO Exam pattern in detail.
IBPS PO Prelims Pattern
The IBPS PO Prelims Exam Pattern has remained constant since the inception of the exam.
THE IBPS PO Prelims Exam Pattern consists of one paper with objective type questions.
As per the IBPS PO Prelims exam Pattern, the paper is divided into three sections.
The IBPS PO Exam Pattern for the Prelims exam is given below:
|IBPS PO Prelims Exam Pattern – Section||Number of Questions||Marks Allotted||Time Allotted|
|English Language||30||30||20 min|
|Numerical Ability||35||35||20 min|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 min|
As per the IBPS PO Exam Pattern for Prelims exam, the total time allotted for the paper is 1 hour.
An extra 5 minutes are allowed for candidates to fill their details in the attendance sheet and the online portal.
The paper is conducted online at designated IBPS PO centres across the country.
IBPS PO Mains Pattern
The IBPS PO Mains exam consists of two papers, both of which are conducted online by the institute.
As per the IBPS PO Mains Pattern, the papers are an Objective Test and a Descriptive test.
In the IBPS PO Mains Pattern, the objective test is divided into four sections.
Only those who clear the cut off marks in prelims are invited for the mains exam.
The IBPS PO Mains exam Pattern is as follows:
|IBPS PO Mains Pattern- Paper||Section||Number of Questions||Marks Allotted||Time Allotted|
|Objective Test||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 min|
|English Language||35||40||40 min|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||45 min|
|General Awareness, Economy & Banking Awareness||40||40||35 min|
|Descriptive Test||English Language (Letter Writing & Essay)||2||25||30 min|
The IBPS PO result for the mains exam conducted on November 30, 2019, released on January 2, 2o2o. Candidates can check the result at the linked article.
IBPS PO Mains Pattern- Salient Points
- As per the IBPS PO Mains Pattern, the total time allotted for the objective paper is 3 hours and the Descriptive test is for 30 minutes.
- Though the descriptive paper is a test of the English language, the questions are asked based on current affairs.
- Marks are awarded based on the correct usage of grammar as well as the relevance of the content.
- As per the latest IBPS PO Mains Pattern, the duration of the paper has increased from 2 hours and 20 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- The earlier duration was solely for the Objective Test and the Descriptive Test was introduced recently.
- With this, the time available for the Objective Test has gone up by 40 minutes.
- According to the IBPS PO Mains Exam Pattern, the number of questions in the Objective Test has gone up by 60 questions.
- There is no longer a separate section for Computer Knowledge as it has been combined with the Reasoning Section.
IBPS PO Interview
The IBPS interview is conducted for those who clear the bank PO mains exam.
As per the IBPS PO Exam pattern, the interview carries 100 marks.
The candidates have to secure at least 40 marks in the interview to be considered for the merit list, irrespective of their score in other stages of the exam.
According to the IBPS PO Exam pattern, candidates belonging to the weaker sections of society, are awarded a concession of 5 marks in the IBPS PO Interview.
The IBPS PO interview usually lasts 15-20 minutes, though associated procedures such as document verification and background checks take up to 8 hours on the day of the interview.
Candidates successfully clearing these stages are selected as bankers and are invited to join one of the Public Sector Banks based on their preference and position in the merit list.
IBPS PO Exam Pattern-Negative Marking
Penalty for wrong answers has been a constant feature of the IBPS PO exam pattern since its inception in 2011.
The level of negative marking in IBPS PO exam has remained constant and no new changes are expected in 2020.
According to the IBPS PO Exam Pattern,the scheme of the penalty for incorrect answers is as follows:
- Every incorrect answer attracts a penalty of one fourth(25%) of the marks allotted to that question.
- Marking two answers simultaneously is not possible in the online format of the exam since 2013.
- If an answer is left blank, it attracts no negative marking.
Banking aspirants should study previous years bank papers as well as the IBPS PO Syllabus to be successful in the IBPS PO exam. One of the common factors in the strategy of the toppers has been their familiarity with the latest IBPS PO exam pattern, exhaustive preparation and coverage of the syllabus.
We at BYJU’S have well-researched study material and mock tests for candidates which they can access anytime. Aspirants would find this material useful in their quest to land prestigious bank officer jobs.