The Computer Knowledge or the Computer Awareness section is an integral part of many major competitive exams syllabus conducted in the country.
In this article, we shall discuss at length about the list of topics which are a part of the Computer Awareness section along with the exams in which this subject is included in the syllabus. Aspirants will also find some sample Computer Knowledge questions and answers below.
All Government exam aspirants can check the Preparation Strategy for Competitive Exams at the linked article and start their preparation accordingly.
|Upgrade your preparation for the upcoming Government exams by practising with more Free Online Mock Test now!!
Also, refer to the following links for preparation:
Questions from the Computer Awareness section are direct and straightforward. Candidates can easily increase their overall score if they perform well in this section.
To get the detailed syllabus and notes for the different sections included in competitive exams, candidates can refer to the set of links given below:
|Quantitative Aptitude||Logical Reasoning|
|Verbal Ability||Static GK|
|Daily Current Affairs||Banking Awareness|
What is Computer Knowledge?
Having a basic knowledge of computer applications is a must for any aspirant to join a suitable job in the Government sector. Apart from that, having awareness of various computer applications, terminologies, shortcuts and software is a must to qualify this section.
Given below are a few points of consideration regarding the Computer Awareness section:
- The questions are direct
- Based on basic computer knowledge
- Less time consuming
- No lengthy solutions/ calculations
- Not a separate section in many bank exams but combined with the Reasoning Ability section
|Bank Exams||SSC Exams|
|Insurance Exams||RRB Exams|
|Government Exams after 12th||Upcoming Bank Exams|
List of Topics under the Computer Knowledge Section
Given below is the list of topics included in the Computer Awareness section for the various Government exams:
- Fundamentals of Computer
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Office
- MS Word
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Excel
- MS Access
- MS Outlook
- Computer Shortcut Keys
- Computer Abbreviations
- High Level Computer Languages
- Basics of Cloud Computing
- Computer Networks
- Types of Computer
- Hardware and Software
- Input and Output Devices
- Computer Virus
- Web Browsers
- Storage Devices
- Components of Computer
- Important Computer-related Terms
- Database Management System (DBMS)
- Introduction to Operating System
- OSI Model – Open Systems Interconnection
|Other Related Links|
|Bank Exam Syllabus||SSC Syllabus|
|RRB Syllabus||LIC Syllabus|
|UPSC CAPF Syllabus||FCI Syllabus|
List of Exams with Computer Awareness as one of the Topics
The list of competitive exams where questions based on Computer Awareness may be asked is given below. Candidates preparing for the respective exams can prepare themselves accordingly.
- IBPS PO (Probationary Officer)
- IBPS Clerk
- IBPS SO (Specialist Officer)
- IBPS RRB
- IBPS RRB PO (Regional Rural Bank PO)
- IBPS RRB Clerk (Regional Rural Bank Clerk)
- RBI Assistant
- LIC HFL (Housing Finance Limited)
- NIACL Assistant
- NIACL AO (Administrative Officer)
- FCI Manager
- RRB JE (Junior Engineer)
- RRB NTPC (Non-Technical Popular Categories)
- SSC CGL (Combined Graduate Level Exam)
- SSC CHSL (Combined Higher Secondary Level Exam)
To get a comparative analysis of the various computer-related terms and applications which one must know to strengthen their Computer Knowledge, check the links given below:
- Difference Between Search Engine and Web Browser
- Difference Between RAM and ROM
- Difference Between Hardware and Software
- Difference Between IPV4 and IPV 6
- Difference Between Firewall and Antivirus
- Difference Between WWW and Internet
- Difference Between Virus and Malware
- Difference Between MS Excel and MS Word
- Difference Between Notepad and WordPad
- Difference Between TCP/IP and OSI Model
- Difference Between Virus and Worm
Sample Questions – Computer Knowledge
For maximum competitive exams, candidates need to secure the minimum qualifying marks overall and also in each section. Thus, scoring well in every part of the examination is a must.
Since the Computer Awareness section is easier in comparison to the other major sections of the competitive examination, candidates must work harder in this domain to improve their overall scores.
So, to assist candidates and help them understand what type of questions may be asked and standard of examination, given further below are a few sample questions based on Computer Knowledge. Candidates can solve these as they may help them apprehend the standard of upcoming Government examinations.
Q 1. Which software tool enables user interaction with the computer for a specific purpose?
- MS Office
- Central Processing Unit
- None of the above
Answer: (1) Application
Q 2. GSM is a standard developed by ETSI to describe the protocols for second-generation networks used by mobile devices such as mobile phones and tablets. What is the full form of GSM?
- Graphic Setting Management
- Global System for Mobile Communications
- Grid System Management
- Graphical System Management
- Global Setting Management
Answer: (2) Global System for Mobile Communications
Q 3. __________ is a numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network.
- E-mail address
- IP Address
Answer: (4) IP Address
Q 4. What is “P” stand for in MPEG?
- None of the above
Answer: (2) Pictures
Solution: The full form of MPEG is Moving Pictures Experts Group
Q 5. Using which of the following can the exchange of text messages and computer files over smaller or larger areas be done easily? This transfer may either be done in a Local Area Network or a Wide Area Network.
- Internet Protocol Address
- Electronic Mail
- File Transfer Protocol
Answer: (3) Electronic Mail
Solution: Electronic Mail is the acronym for E-Mail
|Other Preparation Related Links|
|Bank Exam Preparation||SSC Exam Preparation|
|RRB Preparation||Logical Reasoning Questions & Answers|
|SSC General Awareness||Difference Between Hardware and Software|
Q 6. The compensation for the difference between the rate of flow of data from one to another can be done using ________ storage.
- None of the above
Answer: (4) Buffer
Q 7. What is the full form of URL?
- Uniform Resource Locator
- Unicode Random Locator
- Unified Real Locator
- Unfiltered Resource Locator
- Uniform Read Only Locator
Answer: (1) Uniform Resource Locator
Q 8. The features exhibited by a Hybrid Computer are also exhibited by which other types of computers?
- Analog Computer
- Digital Computer
- Super Computer
- Mainframe Computer
- Both 1 and 2
Answer: (5) Both 1 and 2
Q 9. Which of the given statements are incorrect?
- The full form of BCC is Bling Carbon Copy
- A Metropolitan Area Network is expanded within the reach of a complete country
- Network Topology is the arrangement of various nodes in a network
- The Central Processing Unit (CPU) is the administrative part of a Computer
- All the statements are correct
Answer: (2) A Metropolitan Area Network is expanded within the reach of a complete country
Solution: A Metropolitan Area Network is expanded within the reach of many buildings or localities in a city itself. WAN is expanded across a country
Q 10. Which of the given statements is completely correct?
- The full form of MODEM is Modulating Demodulating
- All the input and output devices in a computer are called Software
- The file extension of an MS Word file is .doc
- The file extension of a Pascal file is psc
- All the statement are incorrect
Answer: (3) The file extension of an MS Word file is .doc
- The full form of MODEM is Modulator Demodulator
- All the input and output devices in a computer are called Hardware
- The file extension of a Pascal file is pac
All these questions discussed above are straight forward and if any candidate is well prepared with all the important Computer Awareness topics, he/she can easily score well in the final examination.
Furthermore, candidates looking for more exam information, preparation tips or study material for any upcoming Govt exams can turn to BYJU’S for help and get the best assistance.