Computer awareness is one of the most crucial skills in the modern world. The Computer plays an important role in the modern workplace. Banks consider it an essential skill and hence it is included in almost all of their entrance exams. It is one of the sections with a very high scoring potential. Candidates preparing for exams such as IBPS, SBI, RBI and NABARD should know about a few important terms related to computer awareness for bank exams.
Important Terms Related to Computer Knowledge For Bank Exams
The following are some important terms related to computer knowledge for bank exams:
- Computer Virus: A computer virus is a malicious piece of code or software which affects normal functioning of a computer. Viruses may disrupt the system by hijacking system memory, surreptitiously collect data or shut down the system altogether.
- Antivirus software: Antivirus software is a program used to protect computers from computer viruses such as malware, trojans and network viruses. Many prominent software companies specialise in antivirus software. Some of the biggest software vendors who develop and market antivirus software are McAfee, Norton, Eset and Kaspersky Labs
- Malware: Malware is a type of virus. It is defined as malicious software which corrupts computer and mobile operations and provides unauthorized access to private system or displays harmful content. The information on a specific system gets copied without the user’s notice and disrupts the normal operation. Usage of malware specific tools or antivirus helps to prevent malware. Malware is spread through careless use of browser extensions, email attachments and storage media.
- Computer worm: A computer worm is a standalone malware that spreads through computer networks. It is a self replicating software that infects computers connected to a network while remaining active in the original system. It is one of the most common viruses.
- Trojan horse: A trojan horse is a malicious program which infects a system by masquerading as an innocuous program. It introduces the virus to a system. They do not replicate themselves but are very destructive.
- Authorization: Authorization is the function of specifying access rights related to information security or computer security. In organizations, authorization can be can only be controlled by a specified user or group of users known as system administrators. Authorization is an important aspect of computer security and helps maintain security and confidentiality of company data.
- Authentication: When the credentials are compared to those of the database of the original file it is termed as authentication. Authentication can be used to confirm the validity of an authorization, or the safety of a database etc. It helps the system to give access to legitimate users.
- Hacker: A hacker is a person who has complete knowledge about a specific area of computer security and uses it to gain access to systems. Hackers can be classified as black hat and white hat hackers. White hat hackers use their knowledge to expose flaws in computer security practices and suggest more effective solutions to security issues. Black hat hackers use their knowledge to harm users for monetary or other gains.
- Phishing: The practice of sending fake emails or trying to get personal information like name, password or money at times is known as phishing. Phishing is conducted by posing as a legitimate user of a system and collecting data through electronic communication.
- Spoofing attack: When a person or program impersonates the identity of another by falsifying important data thereby gaining an unfair and illegitimate advantage is called spoofing. There are various spoofing attacks that the fraudulent party can use for their own purpose.
Computer knowledge is a vast area of knowledge which is evolving rapidly. However bank exams limit themselves to areas such as operating systems and computer security. Candidates should read about important terms and software to be able to score well in bank exams. This subject is relatively easy to prepare as study material and practice tests are widely available online. While it is easy to score well in computer knowledge, it is also the most unpredictable section in bank exam syllabi. For this reason, aspirants should be thorough in their preparation.
BYJU’S has the latest study material, notifications and strategy for bank exam preparation. To know more about bank exams, you can read: