In this article, we shall discuss at length about the different types of computer and their uses and some sample questions based on the topics for the upcoming Government exams.
Questions based on Computer Knowledge may not just be asked in exams where a separate section has been allotted for this subject but also in the General Awareness section where candidates are expected to have basic computer awareness as well.
To learn about the fundamentals of computers, candidates can visit the linked article.
|Want to strengthen your command in Computer Knowledge and score more in this section for the upcoming Government exams??
Refer to the links below to prepare Computer Awareness:
Bank, SSC, RRB, Insurance, are among the most popular exams in which questions based on the types of computer may be asked and candidates can easily score marks as the questions are direct and not complex.
For information related to the other Government sector examinations conducted in the country, aspirants can check the Government Exams page.
Aspirants can also check out the video given below with the complete information about the Types of Computers and their functions in various fields. This will enable them to have a more engaging overview of the topic:
Classification of Computers
There are three major categories based on which computers can be classified. These are:
- Based on Size
- Based on Purpose
- Based on Types
The image given below gives a clear classification of the Types of Computers:
Further in this article, we shall discuss in detail the above-mentioned types of computer in detail for candidates to understand them easily and efficiently.
Types of Computer-Based on Types
The three types of computers along with their functions are given below:
- Analog Computer – An analog computer one that uses the continuously changeable aspects of physical phenomena to model the problem being solved. These phenomena may be such as electrical, mechanical, or hydraulic quantities and they are extremely complex to be used. Such computers are mostly used for scientific and industrial applications. Examples of Analog computers include Thermometer, Operational Amplifiers, Electric Integrators, etc.
- Digital Computer – Such computers are capable of solving problems in discrete format. It only operates on data entered in binary language and can perform the dynamic function of managing large amounts of data and regulating the operations of the machine, Examples of Digital computers are Desktop, Laptop, Mobile Phones, etc.
- Hybrid Computer – Computers that exhibit features of both Analog and Digital computers are called Hybrid Computers. The logical operations are solved by the digital aspects and the differential equations are solved using the analog features. Few important examples of Hybrid Computers include Space Flights, Food processing Plants, etc.
|Related Preparation Links|
|Hardware and Software Questions||High Level Computer Languages|
|Basics of Cloud Computing||Free Online Mock Test Series|
|Previous Year Government Exam Question Papers PDF||Free Online Government Exam Quiz|
Types of Computers – Based on Size
Described below are the four types of Computers based on their sizes along with their functions:
- Micro Computers – A relatively inexpensive and small computer comprising a microprocessor and a Central Processing Unit (CPU) is called a Microcomputer. Such computers are made with minimal circuitry mounting over a single circuit board. Examples include Desktop, Laptop, etc.
- Mini Computer – Developed in the mid-1960s, Mini computers are comparatively smaller than mainframe computers. They were developed keeping in consideration human interaction, control instrumentation and were cost-effective. For example Smartphones, iPads, etc.
- Mainframe Computer – Computers used by large Organisations to manage bulk data are called Mainframe computers. Main functions of such type include managing customer statistics, census and other heavy data in a single device. For example, the system used at Trading companies.
- Super Computer – Computers used at Organisations dealing with Weather forecasting, Quantum Mechanics, Climate research, etc., where high level of performance has to be justified are called Super Computers.
Apart from the Computer Awareness section, candidates can also get the detailed subject-wise syllabus for various Government exam in the table given below:
|Logical Reasoning||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Banking Awareness||Static GK|
|Daily Current Affairs||Verbal Ability|
Types of Computer – By Purpose
On the basis of purpose, there are just two variety of computers. Those two varieties have been discussed in detail below:
- General Purpose – Based on General Purpose, there are these following functions which a device is expected to perform:
- Basic Input/Output functions
- Data Saving on a smaller scale
- General performing activities
These may include basic calculators, laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones, etc., which can help people with their basic necessary functions are included in the General Purpose computer type.
- Special Purpose – When a computer is designed specifically to perform a certain function, such type of computers are known as Special Purpose computer. These types may include:
- Thermometers to test temperature
- Generators to manage electricity
- Devices used for analysing Climate Change
- Large computers for IT Companies
- Machines used at Manufacturing Units and the list goes on and on
The special-purpose computers are important for various Organisations and their applications are made in a way that makes the work easy and efficient.
Aspirants are also advised to also check the Preparation Strategy for Competitive Exams at the linked article and get the best tips and strategies to ace the upcoming Government exams.
Types of Computers – Sample Questions
Given below are a few sample questions based on the different types of computers which may be asked in the Government exams.
Q 1. Which of the given computers can be operated with the touch of the fingers?
- Mainframe Computers
- None of the above
Answer: (1) Tablets
Q 2. Which of the given computers is the most expensive?
Answer: (2) Mainframe
Q 3. Which is the most powerful type of computer?
Answer: (4) Supercomputer
Q 4. Which of the given type of computers work on batteries?
Answer: (4) Laptop
The questions given above are just for candidates reference and similar type of questions may be asked from this topic. Thus, candidates can prepare themselves accordingly.
For any further information regarding the upcoming Government exam, the important exam dates, study material and preparation tips, candidates can turn to BYJU’S.
Apart from types of computer, there are various other important concepts which one must be aware of while preparing for the upcoming competitive exams. Given below are the links for such computer-based terms and concepts:
|Computer Networks||Microsoft Office|
|Microsoft Windows||Web Browsers|
|Computer Input and Output Devices||Internet|
Frequently Asked Questions on Types of Computer
Q 1. How many types of computers are there, based on data handling capability?
Q 2. Is there a full form for COMPUTER?
Q 3. What are the different types of computer?
Ans. Given below is a list of books that candidates can consider to prepare for the RBI Grade B exam:
- Mini Computer
- Micro Computer
- Super Computer