Concept of Entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurship is the ability and readiness to develop, organize and run a business enterprise along with any of its uncertainties in order to make a profit. The most prominent example of entrepreneurship is the starting of new businesses.
In economics, entrepreneurship connected with land, labour, natural resources and capital can generate a profit. The entrepreneurial vision is defined by discovery and risk-taking and is an indispensable part of a nation’s capacity to succeed in an ever-changing and more competitive global marketplace.
Meaning of Entrepreneur
The entrepreneur is defined as someone who has the ability and desire to establish, administer, and succeed in a startup venture along with risk entitled to it, to make profits. The best example of entrepreneurship is the starting of a new business venture. The entrepreneurs are often known as a source of new ideas or innovator, and bring new ideas in the market by replacing old with a new invention.
It can be classified into small or home business to multinational companies. In economics, the profits that an entrepreneur make is with a combination of land, natural resources, labour and capital.
In a nutshell, anyone who has the will and determination to start a new company and deals with all the risk entitled can become an Entrepreneur.
What are the 4 Types of Entrepreneurship?
It is classified into the following types:
Small Business Entrepreneurship-
These businesses are a hairdresser, grocery store, travel agent, consultant, carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. These people run or own their own business and hire family members or local employee. For them, the profit would be able to feed their family and not making 100 million business or taking over an industry. They fund their business by taking small business loans or from friends and family.
Scalable Startup Entrepreneurship-
This start-up entrepreneur starts a business knowing that their vision can change the world. They attract investors who think and encourage people who think out of the box. The research focuses on a scalable business and experimental models so, hire the best and the brightest employees. They require more venture capital to fuel and back their project or business.
Large Company Entrepreneurship-
These huge companies have defined lifecycle. Most of these companies grow and sustain by offering new and innovative products that revolve around their main products. The change in technology, customer preferences, new competition, etc., build pressure for large companies to create an innovative product and sell it to the new set of customers in the new market. To cope up with the rapid technological changes, the existing organisation either buy innovation enterprises or attempt to construct the product internally.
This type of entrepreneurship focuses on producing product and services that resolve the social needs and problems. Their only motto and goal are to work for society and not make any profits.
Characteristics of Entrepreneurship:
Not all entrepreneurs are successful, there are definite characteristics that make entrepreneurship successful. Few of them are mentioned below:
- Ability to take a risk- Starting any new venture involves a considerable amount of failure risk. Therefore, an entrepreneur needs to be courageous and able to evaluate and take risks is an essential part of being an entrepreneur.
- Innovation- It should be highly innovative to generate new ideas, start a company, and earn profits out of it. Change can be the launching of a new product that is new to the market or a process that does the same thing but more efficient and economical way.
- Visionary and Leadership quality- To be successful, the entrepreneur should have a clear vision of his new venture. However, to turn the idea into reality a lot of resources and employees are required. Here, leadership quality is paramount because a leader imparts and guides their employees towards the right path of success.
- Open-Minded- In a business, every circumstance can be an opportunity and used for the benefit of a company. For example, Paytm recognised the gravity of demonetization and acknowledged the need for online transactions would be more, so it utilised the situation and expanded massively during this time.
- Flexible- An entrepreneur should be flexible and open to change according to the situation. To be on the top, a businessperson should be equipped to embrace change in a product and service as and when needed.
- Know your Product-A company owner should be the product offerings, and also the latest trend in the market. It is essential to know if the available product or service meets the demands of the current market, or it is time to tweak it a little. Being able to point on yourself and then alter as needed is a vital part of entrepreneurship.
Importance of Entrepreneurship:
- Creation of Employment- Entrepreneurship generates employment. It provides an entry-level job, required for gaining experience and training for unskilled workers.
- Innovation- It is the hub of innovation that provides new product ventures, market, technology, and quality of goods, etc., and increase the standard of living of the people.
- Impact on Society and Community Development- A society becomes greater if the employment base is large and diversified. It changes society and promotes facilities like higher expenditure on education, better sanitation, fewer slums, a higher level of homeownership. Therefore, entrepreneurship assists the organisation in a more stable and high quality of community life.
- Increase Standard of Living- Entrepreneurship helps to improve the standard of living of a person by increasing the income. The standard of living means, increase in the number of consumption of various goods and services by a household for a particular period.
- Supports research and development- New products and services need to be researched and tested before launching in the market. Therefore, an entrepreneur also dispenses finance for research and development with research institutions and universities. This promotes research, general construction, and development in the economy
The above mentioned is the concept, that is elucidated in detail about ‘Entrepreneurship’ for the Commerce students. To know more, stay tuned to BYJU’S.