The SSC CGL Syllabus and Exam Pattern for Combined Graduate Level examination are set by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC). With the help of SSC CGL Exam Pattern and Syllabus, candidates can make a strategy for the exam preparation in a systematic manner.
The SSC CGL Exam gives the candidate a golden opportunity to get into reputed offices, departments and organizations under the Government of India.
The exam dates for SSC CGL 2020 will be announced with the official notification of the SSC CGL exam which has not been released by the commission yet. The SSC CGL 2019 exam dates have been announced by the Staff Selection Commission on 22nd October 2019.
Further details on SSC CGL Exam Dates can be found in the link provided.
The SSC CGL 2019 exam is in the process commenced on March 2nd, 2020. Aspirants of the SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam can refer to detailed SSC CGL Exam Analysis for their preparation.
The latest SSC CGL syllabus is also published in the official SSC CGL Notification. To know more about all the SSC Exams, refer to the linked article.
The SSC CGL Syllabus PDF is given below for the upcoming SSC CGL exam preparation.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2019:- Download PDF Here
SSC CGL Exam Pattern
The CGL exam pattern for all tiers (I, II, III, IV) is as follows:
|SSC CGL Tier||Mode/Type||CGL Syllabus Topics|
|Tier I||Online, Multiple Choice questions||General Intelligence &, Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, General Awareness, English Comprehension|
|Tier II||Online, Multiple Choice questions||Quantitative aptitude, English Language & Comprehension, *Statistics,
*General Studies- Finance & Economics
|Tier III||Offline, Descriptive type- Hindi/English||Statistics, data analysis|
|Tier IV||Wherever applicable||Data Entry Speed Test, Computer Proficiency Test
SSC CGL Pattern – Salient Points
- Tier I exam is for all
- Tier II exam- Paper 3(Statistics) is for Junior Statistical Officer post, & Paper 4(Finance & Economics) is for Assistant Auditor & Assistant Accounts Officer post.
- Tier IV- Data Entry Speed test is for Tax Assistants, Computer Proficiency test is for posts under Ministry of Corporate Affairs & Ministry of Mines.
Candidates can check the SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria here.
SSC CGL Syllabus
In this section, we discuss in detail the latest tier-wise SSC CGL syllabus. Candidates can also download the SSC CGL syllabus PDF from the link at the start or bottom of the article.
Candidates can visit the SSC CGL Mock test page to get free mock tests based on the latest SSC CGL pattern. Solving mock tests will help candidates analyze their preparation for the upcoming SSC exams.
SSC CGL Syllabus Tier I
As per the SSC CGL Exam Pattern, the SSC CGL Tier 1 exam is an online, multiple-choice based exam. The exam consists of 4 sections having 100 questions in total. The total marks assigned for this Tier I exam is 200. The duration for the Tier I exam is 60 minutes and 80 minutes for differently-abled candidates.
The SSC CGL Syllabus – Tier I comprises four sections:
- General Intelligence & reasoning
- General Awareness
- Quantitative Aptitude &
- SSC CGL English Syllabus covers English Comprehension skills
The SSC CGL Tier I syllabus is given in detail in the table below:
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||General Awareness||Quantitative Aptitude||English Comprehension skills|
|Symbolic/Number Analogy||History- Harappa Civilization, Vedic culture, Medieval India and their important systems; India’s freedom movement and their leaders||Number System Problems
Ratio & Proportion,
Antonyms, One Word Substitution, grammar skills, spelling error, comprehension passages
|Geography- about countries and their geographical details, Famous Seaport and Airport and their location.||Profit and Loss,
|Polity- Administrative, Legislative and judiciary of our Country, Election, Important constitution bodies like CAG, Symbols of political parties, duties & responsibilities of the major persons in the Parliament||Time and distance,
Time & Work,
Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra & Elementary surds,
Graphs of Linear Equations,
Coding & decoding
|Economy-Budget related information and terminologies, Important persons involved in Economy of the Country and monetary institutions||Triangle and its various kinds of centres,
Congruence and similarity of triangles,
|Physics- Laws, major Inventions and Discoveries.||Regular Polygons,
Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder,
Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base,
Address matching, Date & city matching,
Classification of centre codes/roll numbers
|Chemistry- Characteristics of gases, atoms, molecules
Chemistry in everyday life.
Heights and Distances,
|Biology-Important discoveries, Interesting facts about human body parts, Nutrition in Animals and Plants, Diseases and their causes.|
|General Knowledge, current affairs|
SSC CGL Exam pattern – Important pointers:
- Candidates should be careful while attempting any answer as there might be chances of negative marking like the previous years.
- As per the SSC CGL Exam Pattern, candidates can expect a deduction of 0.5 marks for each incorrect answer.
- Candidates should be thorough with all the papers and practice a lot of question papers from the previous years’.
- Candidates should cover all important topics given in the SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier 1.
- The SSC CGL reasoning syllabus should be understood in-depth as it covers a vast number of topics.
- Candidates should be very careful while going through the SSC CGL Exam Pattern as it is subjected to changes from time to time.
- The SSC CGL Syllabus for General Awareness has a significant overlap with the UPSC Syllabus
SSC CGL Tier II Syllabus
As per the SSC CGL Exam pattern, Tier II will have 4 papers-
- Quantitative Aptitude– This will have 200 marks in total. The time allotted for this paper is 2 hours.
- English Language & Comprehension- This paper will have 200 marks and 2 hours duration.
- Statistics– This paper will have 200 marks and 2 hours duration.
- General Studies- Finance & Economics– This paper will have 200 marks and 2 hours duration.
The detailed SSC CGL Tier II Syllabus for CGL Exam is as mentioned below:
|Quantitative Aptitude||English Language & Comprehension||Statistics||General Studies- Finance & Economics|
|Number System Problems
|Spot the Error
Spelling,Idioms & Phrases
One Word Substitution
Improvement of sentences,
The active/ passive voice of verbs,
Conversion into Direct/ indirect narration
Shuffling of sentence parts in passages,
|Data distribution, calculation, a diagrammatic representation of data||Finance-Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting|
|Ratio & Proportion,
|Mean, mode and median|
|Profit and Loss,
|Time and distance,
Time & Work,
Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra
|Moments and relationships- skewness, kurtosis|
|Triangles, polygons, circles, cylinders||Co-relation, regression||Economics-Macro & Micro Economics, Growth & Development
Market analysis- production, demand, supply,
Money and banking,
Role of Technology in reforming the Economic domain
|Bar graph, histogram, pie chart||Probability- theories, distribution|
|Sampling theory, index numbers, time series analysis|
SSC CGL Tier II Exam Pattern – Important Pointers:
- Paper 4 – As mentioned in the SSC CGL Exam pattern, Finance & Economics has a mark distribution of 80 and 120 summing up to 200 in total.
- Paper-I and Paper-II are compulsory for all posts.
- Paper-III will be for candidates applying for the post of Junior Statistical Officer (JSO) and who are shortlisted in Tier-I for this Post/Paper.
- Paper-IV will be for only those candidates who are shortlisted in Tier-I for Paper-IV, i.e., for the posts of Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer.
- Taking the SSC CGL Pattern into account, candidates can expect negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension) and of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-I, Paper-III and Paper-IV.
SSC CGL Related Links:
|SSC CGL Preparation||SSC Online||SSC Exam Date|
|SSC Eligibility||SSC CGL Notification||SSC Admit Card|
|SSC Results||SSC Recruitment||SSC Notification|
|SSC Preparation||SSC Exam Pattern||SSC Mock Test|
SSC CGL Tier III Syllabus
As per the SSC CGL Exam Pattern, the Tier 3 Exam is a subjective paper that will be taken offline via pen and paper mode.
As per the SSC CGL Tier III syllabus, the main aim of this exam is to evaluate the candidates’ language proficiency, grammar knowledge, vocabulary usage, and writing skills in English/Hindi. Candidates are expected to write essays, précis, applications, letters, etc. The duration of this Tier III exam is 60 minutes.
SSC CGL Tier III Exam Pattern- Points to remember:
- Candidates need to be careful while filling the choices as this paper has Hindi/English as the option.
- This exam is comparatively easier than other exams but candidates need to score at least one-third of the total marks to pass this exam.
- As mentioned in the SSC CGL Exam Pattern, the duration for differently-abled candidates is 80 mins.
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier IV
The SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam comprises skill tests that are required for certain government posts. Candidates who secure at least the minimum qualifying marks in the examination (Tier I, II, III) can appear in the Skill Test.
The syllabus for the SSC CGL Tier-IV exam is as follows:
|SSC CGL Test||Description||Post|
|Data Entry Speed test||8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depression per hour on the Computer||Tax Assistants( Central & Excise)|
|A passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions for a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.|
|Computer Proficiency Test||Word Processing
Generation of slides
|Assistant Section Officer of Central Secretariat Service (CSS), Assistant Section Officer (MEA), Assistant in Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Assistant (GSI) in the Ministry of Mines.|
Points to note:
- Orthopedically Handicapped (OH) candidates for the post of Tax Assistant in CBDT need not appear for the skill test
- OH candidates opting for post of Tax Assistant in CBEC are required to attend the Skill Test.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2019:- Download PDF Here
After going through this detailed syllabus, candidates need to prepare thoroughly on the important topics from relevant books and need to maintain proper study routine and notes to get a good score in the SSC CGL 2019 exam.
Candidates should refer to the SSC CGL notification for updates on the SSC official website( https://ssc.nic.in/)on a daily basis.
Frequently Asked Question – SSC CGL Syllabus 2020
Q.1. What are the subjects covered in SSC CGL Syllabus?
Q.2. What are the topics covered in SSC CGL Tier III Syllabus?
Q.3. Is it possible to crack SSC CGL exam in just three months?
Q.4. What is the minimum SSC CGL Salary offered to a candidate on qualifying the examination?
Q.5. Is there negative marking for wrong attempts in SSC CGL exam?
Q.6. Tell a few books recommended for the preparation of reasoning section in SSC CGL exam?
Q 7. What are the best books to prepare for SSC CGL Quantitative Aptitude section?
Ans. The important SSC CGL Books for Maths are given below:
- Advance Maths by Rakesh Yadav.
- Magical Book on Quicker Maths by M Tyra.
- SSC Elementary and Advanced Maths BY Kiran
- NCERT Maths from Grade 6 to Grade 11
- Quantitative Aptitude by Dr. R.S Agarwal