The SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam is one of the most sought-after exams for aspirants whose dream is to get recruited into the various organizations, Ministries, departments under the Government of India.
The SSC CGL Exam requires a high level of preparation strategy to get a good score.
This article will explain all the details regarding the SSC CGL Preparation for the exam in a proper format including the list of best SSC CGL books.
These SSC Exams are a great opportunity for candidates wanting to work in various departments, offices, organizations under the Government of India.
Candidates can also check for other Government Exams by referring to the linked article.
The strategy for SSC CGL Preparation is given in brief below:
- Check the SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria
- Understanding the SSC CGL Exam Pattern properly
- Go through the detailed SSC CGL Syllabus.
- Having a clear concept on the various topics in the SSC CGL Exam
- Referring important Study materials related to the topics in the Exam
- Focusing on the SSC CGL preparation Strategies
The SSC CGL Exam is conducted in 4 stages-
- Tier I
- Tier II
- Tier III
- Tier IV
Each stage has a different exam pattern.
The SSC CGL Exam pattern is as follows:
|Tier||Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time allowed|
|Tier I||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||60 Minutes (Total)
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- Pl 80 Minutes
|Tier II||Paper-I: Quantitative Abilities||100||200||120Minutes
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- 160 Minutes
|Paper-II: English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|Paper-IV: General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
|Tier III||Descriptive Paper in Hindi/English( Essay, Letter, applications, precis)||–||100||60 Minutes
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- 80 Minutes
Tier IV Exam is conducted to evaluate the Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable) of candidates. Post this, Document Verification will also be conducted as per the provisions of the notice of examination.
Candidates should refer to the SSC CGL official notification regularly to understand the Exam in depth and to make the preparation better and easier.
For more details on the SSC Preparation for other exams, refer to the linked article.
Important Topics for SSC CGL Preparation for the Exam:
There are many relevant topics for the SSC CG
L Exam according to the Tiers.
The highlights of important topics for the SSC CGL Exam is as follows:
Tier I Exam
- General Intelligence and Reasoning:- It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. Important questions on analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, spatial orientation, problem-solving, analysis, judgment, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding, statement conclusion, syllogistic reasoning etc.
- General Awareness: This section is designed to test the general knowledge of candidates. It will include all important topics related to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy & Scientific Research.
- Quantitative Aptitude: This section is designed to test the number sense and calculation skills of the candidates. The important topics in this section are whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Percentage. Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Basic algebraic identities, geometrical problems, etc.
- English Comprehension: This section is prepared to test the candidates writing and comprehension abilities. This section will cover essays, grammar, passages, etc.
Tier II Exam
- Paper-I (Quantitative Abilities): This paper will evaluate a candidate’s calculation and numeric skills. The relevant topics that should be covered are whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, distance, surds, Graphs of Linear Equations, Complementary angles, Heights and Distances, Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart, etc.
- Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension): This paper is designed to evaluate a candidate’s grammar and language skills. The important topics in this paper are related to spotting the error, fill in the blanks, synonyms, antonyms, spelling/ detecting misspelled words, idioms & phrases, one word substitution, active/ passive voice of verbs, conversion into direct/ indirect narration, shuffling of sentence parts, shuffling of sentences in a passage,etc.
- Paper-III (Statistics): This paper will have topics related to Collection and Representation of data, Skewness & kurtosis, Measures of Central Tendency, correlation & regression, Probability Theory, time series analysis, Index numbers, etc.
- Paper-IV (General Studies-Finance and Economics):
- Part – A- (Finance & Accounts): This paper will be for 80 marks and it includes topics related to Rectification of Errors, Manufacturing, Trading, Profit & loss Appropriation Accounts, Balance Sheet Distinction between Capital and Revenue Expenditure, Depreciation Accounting, Valuation of Inventories, Non-profit organizations Accounts, Receipts and Payments and Income & Expenditure Accounts, Bills of Exchange, Self-Balancing Ledgers, etc.
- Part -B- (Economics and Governance): This paper will be for the remaining 120 marks and it includes topic related to Money & Banking, Economic reforms, Theory of demand and supply, Economics- Micro & macro, Market supply analysis, etc.
Tier III Exam
This exam will be a subjective paper and can be attempted in Hindi/English. Candidates need to prepare for applications, letters, essays, etc.
Tier IV Exam
This exam will be done to evaluate a candidate’s typing and basic computer related skills.
The “Data Entry Speed Test” Skill Test will be conducted for a passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions for a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
The Computer Proficiency Test (CPT), will have Word Processing, SpreadSheet and Generation of Slides as the test topics.
There are certain tests reserved for specific candidates and posts. Referring to the SSC CGL Eligibility criteria would help the candidates a lot in knowing the details regarding those tests.
For more details on other SSC Exams, refer to the table below:
|SSC Exam Date||SSC Exam Pattern|
|SSC Results||SSC Online|
|SSC Notification||SSC Admit Card|
|SSC Recruitment||SSC Eligibility|
|SSC Mock Test||Online Quiz|
SSC CGL Books
The SSC CGL preparation will require a reference to many books.
The important SSC CGL books will help the candidates to focus on the relevant topics and they will ultimately score well.
SSC CGL Books for English
The important SSC CGL Books for English are given below:
- Objective General English by SPBakshi (Arihant)
- Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – By Arun Sharma
- Wren & Martin – High School English Grammar and Composition
- Perfect Competitive English V.K. Sinha
- Competitive General English Kiran Prakashan
- From Plinth to Paramount- Neetu Singh
- A Mirror of common Errors- Dr. Ashok Kumar Singh
SSC CGL Books for Maths
The important SSC CGL Books for Maths are given below:
- Advance Maths by Rakesh Yadav
- Magical Book on Quicker Maths by M Tyra:
- SSC Elementary and Advanced Maths BY Kiran
- NCERT Maths from Grade 6 to Grade 11
- Quantitative Aptitude by Dr. R.S Agarwal
SSC CGL Reasoning Books
The important SSC CGL Reasoning Books are given below:
- Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by Dr R.S. Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Pandey
- Logical and Analytical Reasoning by A.K. Gupta
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning by Arun Sharma
SSC CGL General Awareness Books
The important SSC CGL General Awareness Books are given below:
- Manorama Yearbook
- General Knowledge- Lucent Publication
- NCERT Books of Class X, XII- History, Geography, Economics
The above SSC CGL books list and information have already given a lot of data about the Exam.
To have a successful SSC CGL Preparation, there are certain pointers that can be followed by the candidates to make the whole process of learning, easier and smarter. The SSC CGL books pdf will be a great help to candidates for a better and easier preparation of the topics.
10 important tips related to the SSC CGL Preparation are:
- To have a well-planned study routine with proper duration for each topic.
- A thorough study of the subjects and relevant topics as per the SSC CGL syllabus and pattern.
- Having the collection of important SSC CGL preparation books and study material.
- Getting online and offline help whenever required.
- Solving previous years’ exam papers and making a flow chart of the concepts.
- Numerous practices and prepare separately for online and offline exam.
- Improving on solving strategies and devise an exclusive SSC CGL study plan.
- Try avoiding random preparation on the subject.
- Try to understand a concept in detail.
- Try to resolve any subject, concept related doubts long before the exams.
Getting good marks in the Exam is possible if a thorough SSC CGL preparation is done. Candidates applying for the SSC CGL exam can visit the SSC CGL mock test page and get free mock tests based on the latest exam pattern.
Candidates should always have the proper SSC CGL study material to make a great start for the exam preparation.
The above-mentioned information will be a great help for achieving success in the Exam.