The SSC CGL Exam requires a high level of preparation strategy to get a good score. This article will explain all the details regarding the SSC CGL Preparation for the exam in a proper format, including important SSC CGL study material and the list of best SSC CGL books.
The SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam is one of the most sought-after exams for aspirants whose dream is to get recruited into the various organizations, Ministries, departments under the Government of India.
These SSC Exams are a great opportunity for candidates wanting to work in various departments, offices, organizations under the Government of India.
The strategy for SSC CGL Preparation is given in brief below:
- Having a clear concept on the various topics in the SSC CGL Exam
- Check the SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria
- Understanding the SSC CGL Exam Pattern properly
- Go through the detailed SSC CGL Syllabus.
- Referring to important SSC CGL Study materials related to the topics in the exam
- Focusing on the SSC CGL preparation Strategies
Check SSC CGL Exam Analysis for a better understanding of the scope and difficulty level of the Combined Graduate Level Examination.
The SSC CGL Exam is conducted in 4 stages, and each stage has a different exam pattern. The SSC CGL Exam pattern is as follows:
|Tier||Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time allowed|
|Tier I||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||60 Minutes (Total)
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- Pl 80 Minutes
|Tier II||Paper-I: Quantitative Abilities||100||200||120Minutes
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- 160 Minutes
|Paper-II: English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|Paper-IV: General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
|Tier III||Descriptive Paper in Hindi/English( Essay, Letter, applications, precis)||–||100||60 Minutes
For VH/ OH (afflicted with Cerebral Palsy/ deformity in writing hand- 80 Minutes
Tier IV Exam evaluates the Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable) of candidates. Post this; Document Verification is done as per the provisions of the notice of examination.
Candidates should refer to the SSC CGL official notification regularly to understand the exam in-depth and to make the preparation better and easier.
For more details on the SSC Preparation for other exams, refer to the linked article.
|For comprehensive SSC CGL preparation refer the links for assistance-|
Important Topics for SSC CGL Preparation for the Exam
There are many relevant topics for the SSC CGL Exam, according to the Tiers. The highlights of important topics for the SSC CGL Exam are as follows:
Tier I Exam
- General Intelligence and Reasoning:- It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. Important questions on analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, spatial orientation, problem-solving, analysis, judgment, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding, statement conclusion, syllogistic reasoning, etc.
Given below are few relevant links that can assist candidates in gaining conceptual clarity on various topics as well as understand the type of reasoning questions asked in SSC CGL examination.
More such concept-based articles on reasoning topics can be found on the Logical Reasoning page linked here.
Candidates can check the 3 sutras to prepare for reasoning ability to know important strategies with which they should start with the CGL reasoning preparation.
- General Awareness: This section is designed to test the general knowledge of candidates. It will include all important topics related to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy & Scientific Research. For the preparation of current affairs, candidates can check the following links.
For the preparation of the General Awareness section, important topics that candidates must go through are listed below:
- Governors in India
- Members of Parliament
- Members of Lok Sabha
- List of Arjuna Award Winners
- FIFA World Cup Winners List
- Fathers Of Various Fields
More such topics on general awareness are given on the Static GK page, check the link provided.
- Quantitative Aptitude: This section is designed to test the number sense and calculation skills of the candidates. The important topics in this section are whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Percentage. Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Basic algebraic identities, geometrical problems, etc.
For the SSC CGL preparation of Quantitative Aptitude section, check the following links for assistance.
- Shortcut tricks For Squares & Cube Roots
- Tips to solve Number Series
- Maths Tricks for Competitive Exams
- Quadratic Equation
For more relevant topics on Quantitative Aptitude, check the linked page.
- English Comprehension: This section is prepared to test the candidates writing and comprehension abilities. SSC CGL English preparation will cover essays, grammar, passages, etc.
Given below are a few relevant topics of English language that are sure to be asked in the examination:
- List Of Synonyms and Antonyms
- List of One Word Substitutions
- List Of Homophones, Homonyms & Homographs
- Idioms And Phrases
For more important topics on English For Competitive exams, such as letter writing format, rules and list of prepositions, articles conjunctions etc. candidates can check the link provided.
- Paper-I (Quantitative Abilities): This paper will evaluate a candidate’s calculation and numeric skills. The relevant topics that should be covered are whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, distance, surds, Graphs of Linear Equations, Complementary angles, Heights and Distances, Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart, etc.
- Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension): Paper-II of SSC CGL English preparation is designed to evaluate a candidate’s grammar and language skills. The important topics of SSC CGL English preparation in Paper II are – spotting the error, fill in the blanks, synonyms and antonyms, spelling/ detecting misspelt words, idioms & phrases, one word substitution, active/ passive voice of verbs, conversion into direct/ indirect narration, shuffling of sentence parts, shuffling of sentences in a passage, etc.
Check out important questions and answers on relevant English Topics.
- One Word Substitution Questions & Answers
- Tenses Questions And Answers
- Direct & Indirect Speech Questions & Answers
For more question and answer articles on important topics of the Verbal Ability section, candidates can visit the linked article.
- Paper-III (Statistics): This paper will have topics related to Collection and Representation of data, Skewness & kurtosis, Measures of Central Tendency, correlation & regression, Probability Theory, time series analysis, Index numbers, etc.
- Paper-IV (General Studies-Finance and Economics):
- Part – A- (Finance & Accounts): This paper will be for 80 marks, and it includes topics related to Rectification of Errors, Manufacturing, Trading, Profit & Loss Appropriation Accounts, Balance Sheet Distinction between Capital and Revenue Expenditure, Depreciation Accounting, Valuation of Inventories, Non-profit Organizations Accounts, Receipts and Payments and Income & Expenditure Accounts, Bills of Exchange, Self-Balancing Ledgers, etc.
- Part -B- (Economics and Governance): This paper will be for the remaining 120 marks and it includes topic related to Money & Banking, Economic reforms, Theory of demand and supply, Economics- Micro & macro, Market supply analysis, etc.
Tier III Exam
This exam will be a subjective paper and can be attempted in Hindi/English. Candidates need to prepare for applications, letters, essays, etc.
Tier IV Exam
This exam will be done to evaluate a candidate’s typing and basic computer-related skills.
The “Data Entry Speed Test” Skill Test will be conducted for a passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions for a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
The Computer Proficiency Test (CPT), will have Word Processing, Spreadsheet and Generation of Slides as the test topics.
There are certain tests reserved for specific candidates and posts. Referring to the SSC CGL Eligibility criteria would help the candidates a lot in knowing the details regarding those tests.
SSC CGL Books
The SSC CGL preparation will require a reference to many books.
The important SSC CGL books will help the candidates to focus on the relevant topics, and they will ultimately score well.
SSC CGL Books for English
Candidates must leave no stone unturned for SSC CGL English Preparation both in Paper I and Paper II. The important SSC CGL Books for English are given below:
- Objective General English by SPBakshi (Arihant)
- Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – By Arun Sharma
- Wren & Martin – High School English Grammar and Composition
- Perfect Competitive English V.K. Sinha
- Competitive General English Kiran Prakashan
- From Plinth to Paramount- Neetu Singh
- A Mirror of Common Errors- Dr Ashok Kumar Singh
Best Books For SSC CGL Maths
Given below are the best books for SSC CGL Maths:
- Advance Maths by Rakesh Yadav
- Magical Book on Quicker Maths by M Tyra:
- SSC Elementary and Advanced Maths BY Kiran
- NCERT Maths from Grade 6 to Grade 11
- Quantitative Aptitude by Dr R.S Agarwal is also one of the best books for SSC CGL Maths.
SSC CGL Reasoning Books
The important SSC CGL Reasoning Books are given below:
- Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by Dr R.S. Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Pandey
- Logical and Analytical Reasoning by A.K. Gupta
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning by Arun Sharma
SSC CGL General Awareness Books
The important SSC CGL General Awareness Books are given below:
- Manorama Yearbook
- General Knowledge- Lucent Publication
- NCERT Books of Class X, XII- History, Geography, Economics
The above SSC CGL books list and information have already given a lot of data about the exam. Candidates preparing for other examination conducted by SSC can go through the SSC Mock Test for practice and revision.
For a successful SSC CGL Preparation, certain pointers can be followed by the candidates to make the whole process of learning, more relaxed and smarter. The SSC CGL books pdf will be a great help to candidates for a better and easier preparation of the topics.
Candidates willing to appear for the next recruitment of CGL examination can check the related links for important information:
|SSC CGL Exam Date||SSC CGL Cut Off|
|SSC CGL Result||SSC CGL Apply Online|
|SSC CGL Posts||SSC CGL Admit Card|
|SSC CGL Salary||SSC CGL Answer Key|
10 essential tips related to the SSC CGL Preparation are:
- Have a well-planned study routine with proper duration for each topic.
- A thorough study of the subjects and relevant topics as per the latest SSC CGL syllabus and pattern is necessary.
- Have the collection of important SSC CGL preparation books and study material.
- Get online and offline help whenever required.
- Solving SSC CGL previous years’ exam papers and making a flow chart of the concepts.
- Numerous practices and prepare separately for the online and offline exam.
- Improve on solving strategies and devise an exclusive SSC CGL study plan.
- Try avoiding random preparation on the subject.
- Try to understand a concept in detail.
- Try to resolve any subject, concept related doubts long before the exams.
Candidates willing to do SSC CGL Preparation can go through the given links:
- Tips for Working Professoional on SSC CGL Preparation
- How to Prepare for SSC CGL in 30 days?
- Last one-week study plan for SSC CGL
- Last-minute preparation tips for SSC CGL examination.
Getting good marks in the exam is possible if a thorough SSC CGL preparation is done. Candidates applying for the SSC CGL exam should always have the proper SSC CGL study material to make a great start for the exam preparation.
Candidates willing to prepare for any other exam apart from CGL that is conducted by the selection board can check the given links for assistance:
- How to start SSC exams preparation?
- Mistakes to avoid in SSC exams
- How to prepare for SSC exams without Coaching
The information mentioned above will be a great help for achieving success in the exam.
For more details on other SSC Exams, refer to the table below:
|SSC Exam Date||SSC Exam Pattern|
|SSC Results||SSC Online|
|SSC Notification||SSC Admit Card|
|SSC Recruitment||SSC Eligibility|
|SSC Salary||SSC Cut Off|