JEE Advanced eligibility criteria are important guidelines that aspirants should adhere to before filling the application form. Students are suggested to carefully check the detailed information on the eligibility criteria listed out by the exam conducting body. It will help them know a lot of important details about the exam like age criteria, nationality, number of attempts and more.
By understanding the JEE Advanced eligibility for 2020, students will basically get to learn about the minimum requirements that they need to fulfil in order to appear for the exam. Further, the information provided will help students to analyze whether they are eligible or not. Those who fail to meet the requirements will not be able to appear for the exam.
IIT JEE Advanced 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for JEE Advanced 2020 will be released by IIT Delhi in the coming months. A notification will be published on the official website. The notification will consist of all the existing or new conditions and requirements that will be set for the entrance examination. Meanwhile, from 2020 onwards the exam authorities will be shortlisting top 2,50,000 JEE Main candidates to appear for JEE Advanced.
The complete information on eligibility for JEE Advanced is discussed here on this page. Aspirants can go through them below.
Nationality: Students who are the citizen of India, PIO (Person of Indian Origin), OCIs (Overseas Citizen of India) and Foreign nationals are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced exam.
Age Criteria: Candidates who are born on or after 1st of October 1995 are eligible. For applicants belonging to the reserved category, the age limit has been extended to 1st of October 1990. However, new reports that are coming out recently suggest that the age limit might not be the determining factor for taking the JEE Advanced exam.
Total Number of Attempts: Candidates can appear and write the exam twice for 2 consecutive years irrespective of whether or not he/she passed the qualifying exam.
Exam And Marks Percentage: We will look at the exam requirements in detail below.
JEE Advanced Eligibility On The Basis Of Performance In JEE Mains
To be eligible for JEE Advanced, the students should rank within top 2,50,000 (including all categories) in JEE Main. The percentage-wise reservations of different categories are:
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|OBC & NCL||27%|
The category-wise distribution figures are given below.
|Category||Number of Selected Candidates||Total Candidates|
|General||1,08,464 Candidates||1,15,120 Candidates|
|General PwD||6,656 Candidates|
|OBC Non-Creamy Layer||57,956 Candidates||61,480 Candidates|
|OBC Non-Creamy Layer PwD||3,524 Candidates|
|Scheduled Caste||32,420 Candidates||34,600 Candidates|
|Scheduled Caste PwD||2180 Candidates|
|Scheduled Tribe||16,460 Candidates||17,800 Candidates|
|Scheduled Tribe PwD||1340 Candidates|
JEE Advanced Eligibility On The Basis Of 12th Class Board Exams Or Other Equivalent exams
- The applicants should have cleared class 12th board exams or any other equivalent exam in 2019. Applicants appearing for the 2020 board exams are also eligible.
- Students are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced if the results of their class 12th board exams or any other equivalent examination for the academic year 2019 were declared after June 2019.
- The students belonging to general category must secure a minimum of 75% of marks and for students belonging to SC, ST and PWD categories must secure a minimum of 65% of marks in their class 12th board examinations or they must be from the list of category wise top 20 percentile in their respective class 12th equivalent board examinations.
- The following five subjects will be considered to calculate the cut off marks and aggregate marks for fulfilling the JEE Advanced eligibility criteria of top 20 percentile:
|Mathematics||Physics||Chemistry||Optional Languages||Elective subject|
- If the total marks scored in any of the subjects are not out of 100 then, while calculating the aggregate marks the total marks obtained will be scaled up and down to 100.
- Students who have already appeared for their 12th class board examinations in the year 2019 and are appearing for the same in the year 2020, then, out of the two results, the best performance will be recognized.
|Eligible for JEE Advanced||Not Eligible for JEE Advanced|
Eligibility Criteria For Foreign Nationals
Those candidates who are foreign nationals have a different set of eligibility criteria laid out for them by the authorities. As per the details provided in the official document, candidates are treated as foreign nationals if they are not citizens of India or their parents are not Indian origin and that they do not belong to either OCI/PIO category.
Some of the other information that candidates should be aware of are;
- Foreign nationals do not have the privilege of reservation of seats under any categories as directed by Govt. of India.
- These candidates are not required to write JEE Main 2020 and they can register for JEE Advanced 2020 directly subject directly to after fulfilling the required eligibility criteria.
- Identity proof of both the parents and the candidate is required in the form of citizenship certificate/Passport.
- Talking about the availability of seats, foreign nationals are allotted a maximum of 10% of the total number of seats in every course.
All foreign candidates who are planning to write the JEE Advanced exam have to first register online through the JEE Advanced website, (https://jeeadv.ac.in). The registration fee for JEE (Advanced) 2020 applicable to foreign nationals are given in the following table.
Registration Fee For JEE (Advanced) 2020
|Registration Fee for Examination|
|Foreign Nationals||Candidates from SAARC countries||USD 75|
|Candidates from Non-SAARC countries||USD 150|
- The registration fee does not include any processing fees or service charges or any other charges that can be levied by the banks.
- Detailed instructions related to the payment of registration fee is normally provided on the online registration portal.
Documents required for registration
- 12th standard marks sheet/certificate for cut-off.
- Identity proof.
- Birth certificate for verifying the age.
- Citizenship certificate/Passport of parents.
- Testimonial (if required).
Foreign Centres Where JEE (Advanced) 2020 Will Be Held
Thee are several centres where the exam is conducted. The centres include Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), San Francisco (USA), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal) and Singapore.
The eligibility criteria of JEE Advanced 2020 highlights some of the minimum requirements that engineering candidates need to fulfil in order to appear for the exam. Those candidates who do not meet the eligibility requirements will not be allowed to appear for JEE Advanced.
Note: The registration for foreign nationals will begin first for JEE Advanced 2020. As for Indian candidates, the registration will open at a later stage.
Notably, it is crucial for aspirants to read and know the eligibility criteria before filling the JEE Advanced application form. If any of the requirements are not met then the students’ application will be rejected. The registration should start from the first week of May 2020. As for the exam, IIT Delhi has been chosen to organize and conduct the upcoming exam. It will be held on May 17th, 2020.
Overview Of JEE Advanced
JEE Advanced is the second phase of IIT JEE that is mainly conducted after JEE Main. The exam is conducted every year by different IITs on a rotation basis under the supervision of IIT – JAB (Joint Admission Board). Based on the performance in the exam, students are granted admissions into various undergraduate courses (engineering, science or architecture) offered at top IITs and ISM in the country. With some recent changes, the examination will be conducted in a computer-based online test comprising of two papers (Paper 1 and Paper 2). The exam will also be carried out in two sessions on the same day. Students have to appear for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 and clear them to have their names included in the merit list.
Frequently Asked Questions On JEE Advanced Eligibility Criteria
I appeared in Class XII examination for the first time in 2019. Am I eligible for JEE Advanced 2020?
Yes, you are eligible provided you satisfy other eligibility criteria for JEE Advanced as well.
What is the relaxation period for ST, SC and PwD aspirants?
Five years relaxation is given to SC, ST and PwD candidates.
Is it mandatory to write JEE Main in order to be eligible for JEE Advanced?
Yes, it is mandatory to appear for JEE Main and also clear the exams.
How many JEE Main candidates are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced?
A total of 2.50 lakh AIR holders of JEE Main will be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced.
What subjects are considered for JEE Advanced eligibility?
For JEE Advanced the minimum qualifying mark is 75% in class 12. Candidates need to have studied subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English or Hindi.
Connect with BYJU’S to know more about JEE Advanced 2020, the latest paper pattern, question papers, important topics and more.