JEE Advanced eligibility criteria are important guidelines that aspirants should adhere to before filling out the application form. Students are suggested to carefully check the detailed information on the eligibility criteria listed out by the exam conducting body. It will help them know a lot of important details about the exam like age criteria, nationality, number of attempts and more.
JEE Advanced eligibility criteria will help students to know about the minimum requirements that they need to fulfil in order to appear for the exam. Further, the information provided will help students to analyze whether they are eligible or not. Those who fail to meet the requirements will not be able to appear for the exam.
|Table of Contents:|
IIT JEE Advanced 2022 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for JEE Advanced 2022 have been released by IIT Kharagpur on the official website. The eligibility criteria contain all the existing or new conditions and requirements that are set for the entrance examination. Meanwhile, from 2020 onwards the exam authorities will be shortlisting the top 2,50,000 JEE Main candidates to appear for JEE Advanced.
The complete information on eligibility for JEE Advanced is discussed here on this page. Aspirants can go through them below.
Nationality: Students who are a citizen of India, PIO (Person of Indian Origin), OCIs (Overseas Citizen of India) and Foreign nationals are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced exam. Certain conditions have to be met by foreign nationals. We will look at them in detail below.
Age Criteria: Candidates who are born on or after the 1st of October 1997 are eligible. Applicants belonging to the reserved category, are provided with a relaxation of 5 years. So candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1992.
Total Number of Attempts: Candidates can appear and write the exam twice for 2 consecutive years irrespective of whether or not he/she passed the qualifying exam.
JEE Advanced Eligibility On The Basis Of Performance In JEE Mains
To be eligible for JEE Advanced, aspirants should rank within the top 2,50,000 (including all categories) successful candidates in JEE Main. The total number of candidates may also be greater than 2,50,000 in the presence of “tied” ranks/scores in any category.
The percentage-wise reservations of different categories are:
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|OBC & NCL||27%|
|PwD||5% Horizontal Reservation|
The following table shows the order to be followed while choosing the top 2,50,000 candidates in various categories based on their performance in B.E./B.Tech. paper of JEE (Main) 2022.
|Category||Number of Top Candidates||Total Candidates|
|Open PwD||5,063 Candidates|
|OBC Non-Creamy Layer||64,125 Candidates||67500|
|OBC Non-Creamy Layer PwD||3,375 Candidates|
|Scheduled Caste||35,625 Candidates||37500|
|Scheduled Caste PwD||1875 Candidates|
|Scheduled Tribe||17,812 Candidates||18750|
|Scheduled Tribe PwD||938 Candidates|
JEE Advanced Eligibility On The Basis Of 12th Class Board Exams Or Other Equivalent exams
- The applicants should have cleared class 12th board exams or any other equivalent exam in 2021. Applicants appearing for the 2022 board exams are also eligible. Candidates who had appeared in Class XII (or equivalent) examination, for the first time in 2020 or earlier, are NOT eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2022.
- Students are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced if the results of their class 12th board exams or any other equivalent examination for the academic year 2021 were declared after June 2021. Note: By appearance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination, it is meant that the board concerned declared the result for that year irrespective of whether or not the examination was conducted. It will be considered as an appearance even if the result of a particular candidate got withheld.
- However, if the examination Board of Class XII (or equivalent) declared the results for the academic year 2019-20 on or after October 15, 2020, then the candidates of that board who appeared for their Class XII exam in 2020 are also eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2022, provided they meet all the other eligibility criteria. In case the examination Board of Class XII (or equivalent) declared the results for the academic year 2019- 20 before October 15, 2020, but the result of a particular candidate was withheld, then the candidate will not be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2022.
- The students belonging to the general category must secure a minimum of 75% of marks and students belonging to SC, ST, PWD categories must secure a minimum of 65% of marks in their class 12th board examinations or they must be from the list of categories wise top 20 percentile in their respective class 12th equivalent board examinations.
- The following five subjects will be considered to calculate the cut off marks and aggregate marks for fulfilling the JEE Advanced eligibility criteria of the top 20 percentile:
|Mathematics||Physics||Chemistry||Optional Languages||Elective subject|
- If the total marks scored in any of the subjects are not out of 100 then, while calculating the aggregate marks the total marks obtained will be scaled up and down to 100.
Relaxation in Criteria as a Special Case for JEE (Advanced) 2022
The exam authority has announced a one-time measure for those who first appeared in class 12th (or equivalent) examination in 2020/2021 AND successfully registered for JEE (Advanced) 2021 but did NOT appear. The conditions are as follows:
- Candidates who appeared in class 12th (or equivalent) examination for the first time in 2020 OR 2021 AND successfully registered for JEE (Advanced) 2021 but were absent in BOTH the papers, i.e., Paper 1 and Paper 2, of JEE (Advanced) 2021, are eligible to directly appear for JEE (Advanced) 2022 and do not need to fulfil Criteria mentioned above.
- However, they must successfully register for the JEE (Advanced) 2022 in the online registration portal and pay the registration fee. Further, these candidates would be considered in addition to and not as part of the total number of candidates who would qualify from JEE (Main) 2022 for appearing in JEE (Advanced) 2022.
The exam authority has specified that this is a one-time measure valid only for JEE Advanced 2022 due to the ongoing pandemic. Candidates must confirm their eligibility for appearing in JEE Advanced 2022 by visiting the JEE Advanced website and filling in the requisite information during registration.
NOTE: This one-time measure is NOT applicable to candidates who appeared for their class 12th exam for the first time before 2020.
One-time measure for those who first appeared in class 12th in 2020:
As a one-time special measure due to the ongoing pandemic, candidates who appeared in class 12th (or equivalent) examination in 2020 for the first time are also eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced) 2022 PROVIDED they satisfy the following two criteria simultaneously:
(i) The candidate should have appeared ONLY ONCE for JEE (Advanced), either in the year 2020 or 2021; OR, have NOT appeared in any paper in both JEE (Advanced) 2020 and JEE (Advanced) 2021.
(ii) These candidate(s) should appear/should have appeared in JEE (Main) 2022 and meet the cut-off score of the top 2,50,000 successful candidates (including all categories) for qualifying for JEE (Advanced) 2022 in their respective category.
This one-time measure is applicable to ONLY those candidates for whom the appearance in JEE (Advanced) 2022 will be their first or second attempt and is NOT applicable to candidates who appeared for their class 12th exam for the first time before 2020. No candidate will be allowed to appear in JEE (Advanced) more than two times. Further, these candidates would be considered in addition to and not as part of the total number of candidates who would qualify from JEE (Main) 2022 for appearing in JEE (Advanced) 2022. Criteria 5 would be applicable to these candidate(s).
These candidates must confirm their eligibility for appearing in JEE (Advanced) 2022 by visiting the JEE Advanced official website and filling in the requisite information during registration.
Also Check Out: JEE Advanced 2021 Information Brochure
Eligibility Criteria For Foreign Nationals
Those candidates who are foreign nationals have a different set of eligibility criteria laid out for them by the authorities. As per the details provided in the official document, candidates are treated as foreign nationals if they are not citizens of India or their parents are not of Indian origin and they do not belong to either OCI/PIO category.
Some of the other information that candidates should be aware of are;
- Foreign nationals do not have the privilege of reservation of seats under any categories as directed by Govt. of India.
- Foreign national candidates who have studied or are studying ABROAD at 10+2 level or equivalent at the time of registering for JEE (Advanced) 2022, are not required to write JEE (Main) 2022 and may register for JEE (Advanced) 2022 directly subject to fulfilment of other eligibility criteria.
- Foreign national candidates who have studied or are studying in INDIA at 10+2 level or equivalent are required to write JEE (Main) 2022 and qualify for JEE (Advanced) 2022 under the OPEN category.
- Identity proof of both the parents and the candidate is required in the form of a citizenship certificate/Passport.
- Talking about the availability of seats, foreign nationals are allotted a maximum of 10% of the total number of seats in every course.
All foreign candidates who are planning to write the JEE Advanced exam have to first register online through the JEE Advanced website, (https://jeeadv.ac.in) or (https://jeeadv.ac.in/foreign.html). The registration fee for JEE (Advanced) 2022 applicable to foreign nationals is given in the following table.
Registration Fee For JEE Advanced 2022
|Registration Fee for Examination|
|Foreign Nationals||Candidates from SAARC countries||USD 75|
|Candidates from Non-SAARC countries||USD 150|
- The registration fee does not include any processing fees or service charges or any other charges that can be levied by the banks.
- Detailed instructions related to the payment of the registration fee are normally provided on the online registration portal.
Documents required for registration
- 12th standard marks sheet/certificate for cut-off.
- Identity proof.
- Birth certificate for verifying the age.
- Citizenship certificate/Passport of parents.
- Testimonial (if required).
Foreign Centres Where JEE Advanced Are Held
There are several centres where the exam is conducted. The centres include Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), San Francisco (USA), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal) and Singapore.
The eligibility criteria of JEE Advanced 2022 highlight some of the minimum requirements that engineering candidates need to fulfil in order to appear for the exam. Those candidates who do not meet the eligibility requirements will not be allowed to appear for JEE Advanced.
Note: The registration for foreign nationals will begin first for JEE Advanced 2022. As for Indian candidates, the registration will open at a later stage.
Notably, it is crucial for aspirants to read and know the eligibility criteria before filling out the JEE Advanced application form. If any of the requirements are not met then the students’ application will be rejected. As for the exam, IIT Bombay has been chosen to organize and conduct the upcoming exam.
Important Notice: Due to the prevailing pandemic situation as a result of COVID-19, in India and abroad, the exam authority has decided not to conduct the JEE (Advanced) 2022 in any of the foreign centres/countries. As per the information provided by the exam authority, foreign national candidates can appear for JEE Advanced 2022 at any of the Indian centres of their choice at their own expenses (including travel etc.) after adhering to the required travel norms of Govt. of India and their respective countries of residence.
Overview Of JEE Advanced
JEE Advanced is the second phase of IIT JEE that is mainly conducted after JEE Main. The exam is conducted every year by different IITs on a rotation basis under the supervision of IIT – JAB (Joint Admission Board). Based on their performance in the exam, students are granted admission into various undergraduate courses (engineering, science or architecture) offered at top IITs and ISM in the country. With some recent changes, the examination will be conducted in a computer-based online test comprising two papers (Paper 1 and Paper 2). The exam will also be carried out in two sessions on the same day. Students have to appear for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 and clear them to have their names included in the merit list.
Connect with BYJU’S to know more about JEE Advanced 2022, the latest paper pattern, question papers, important topics and more.
A guide to JEE
How tough is JEE?
Frequently Asked Questions On JEE Advanced Eligibility Criteria
I appeared in Class XII examination for the first time in 2021. Am I eligible for JEE Advanced 2022?
Yes, you are eligible provided you satisfy other eligibility criteria for JEE Advanced as well.
What is the relaxation period for ST, SC and PwD aspirants?
Five years of relaxation is given to SC, ST and PwD candidates.
Is it mandatory to write JEE Main in order to be eligible for JEE Advanced?
Yes, it is mandatory to appear for JEE Main and also clear the exams.
How many JEE Main candidates are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced?
A total of 2.50 lakh AIR holders of JEE Main will be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced.
What subjects are considered for JEE Advanced eligibility?
For JEE Advanced the minimum qualifying mark is 75% in class 12. Candidates need to have studied subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English or Hindi.