History is an important subject for UPSC IAS Prelims Examination. The History comprises of Ancient history, medieval history, and Modern history. A substantial amount of question has been asked from this portion for UPSC Prelims examination.
Here we are giving some interesting facts about Rigveda.
Rigveda is regarded as one of the most sacred texts of Hinduism. It has fascinated the scholars and historians due to its significance and antiquity. It is a collection of ancient Indian collection of Vedic Sanskrit hymns.
Rig Veda Summary for UPSC
- The Rigveda is divided into ten books which are known as Mandalas
- It is a collection of 10,600 verses and 1,028 hymns
- It is the oldest text in any Indo-European language
- It has originated from early as 1700 BC
- The Angiras (rishi family) has composed 35% of the hymns and the Kanva family who has composed 25% of Rig Veda.
- Many verses of the Rig Veda are still used as very significant Hindu prayers and during rituals.
- It contains numerous secrets and clarifications about the origin of the world, the importance of the Gods and a lot of advice for living a satisfying and successful life.
- As per to the Rig Veda, the Universe devised from Prajapati, the initial God and the principle basis of creation.
- The hymns are known as Sukta that were composed to be used in rituals.
- Indra is the chief deity cited in the Rig Veda.
- The sky God Varuna, fire God Agni, and the Sun God Surya were some of the other chief deities who were important in the Rig Veda beside older Aryan deities.
- The God of storms and mountains Rudra, as cited in the Rig Veda is the origin for Lord Shiva, the Hindu God.
- Lord Vishnu who is one of the Trimurti of Hindu Gods was also a minor deity, as mentioned in the Rig Veda.
- The universally famous Gayatri mantra (Savitri) is also in Rig-Veda.
- The varna system, Four-fold division of society, ‘Sudra’, Gamester’s Lament, Purusha Shukta Hymns are mentioned in this Vedic text
- Rig Veda had the original concept of the caste system which is still practiced in modern Hindu society today.
Tune into byjus.com/free-ias-prep for more strategy articles and news on UPSC Civil Services IAS Exam
|Vedic Civilization: Ancient History for UPSC IAS Exam|
|Important Terms in Ancient Indian History|
|Indus Valley Civilization for UPSC IAS Exam|