The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Civil Services Examination (CSE) is one of the most prestigious and challenging examinations in India. Every year, thousands of aspirants compete rigorously to secure a place among the top ranks. These UPSC CSE toppers exemplify extraordinary dedication, perseverance and academic excellence. Their remarkable achievements inspire aspiring civil servants and serve as a testament to the rigorous selection process and the transformative power of public service.
The recent release of the UPSC results brought great happiness for Smriti Mishra who secured All India Rank 4 in the Civil Services Examination 2022. Smriti Mishra hails from Prayagraj and secured the remarkable success in her third attempt. In a noteworthy turn of events, the top four positions were all occupied by female candidates, highlighting the growing achievements of women in the country. Smriti’s journey to success showcases her determination, resilience, and commitment to public service.
Smrti Mishra (UPSC Topper): Background
Smriti Mishra, the UPSC CSE Topper with All India Rank 4 in the Civil Services Examination 2022, hails from the city of Prayagraj. Born and raised in a family that values public service, Smriti developed a strong sense of responsibility and a desire to contribute to society from a young age.
- Family: Her father, Rajkumar Mishra, serves as a CO (second) in Bareilly, while her brother is a practising lawyer in the Supreme Court.
- Education: Smriti did her schooling in the city of Agra at St. Clair’s Higher Secondary School. She completed her Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree from the prestigious Miranda House College in the University of Delhi. Smriti later pursued her interest in law and embarked on a journey to fulfil her dream of entering civil services. Throughout her academic journey, Smriti demonstrated exceptional academic prowess and excelled in her studies. She scored 96.6% in Class 12.
- Optional Subject: Smriti Mishra chose Zoology as her optional subject for the UPSC Civil Services Examination. Her genuine interest in the subject and her scientific background played a role in her decision to select Zoology as her optional subject. By choosing a subject she found interesting and had a strong foundation in, Smriti could excel in her optional subject and contribute to her overall performance in the UPSC Mains examination.
- Number Of Attempts: Smriti cleared the UPSC exam on her third attempt. She could not even clear the Prelims exam on her second attempt as she was not able to qualify the CSAT in 2021. Although Smriti failed the Prelims on her second attempt, she did not give up on her dream and determination to clear the exam and serve her country. Hence, her journey is a testament to her determination, passion and commitment to joining the public services.
Motivation For Joining Civil Services
Smriti Mishra’s motivation to join the civil services stems from her deep-rooted desire to make a positive impact on society. Growing up in a family that values public service, she was inspired by her father’s selfless dedication as a CO of Police. Witnessing his commitment to serving the country ignited her own passion to contribute to the betterment of society.
She will be joining the Indian Administrative Services as she believes that the services offer a unique platform to effect substantial change and serve the country at a macro level.
When asked what she will try to focus on when allocated a cadre, Smriti said,
|“I aim to fulfil the task of financial independence of women and their skill development, access of technology for common people, controlling corruption in lower levels of administration, strengthening urban- local governance and imparting civic sense among the masses.“
Source – News 18
Smriti Mishra’s UPSC Preparation Strategy
Smriti Mishra, the UPSC CSE Topper, employed a comprehensive and focused preparation strategy to achieve her success. Here are the key elements of her UPSC preparation strategy:
- Answer Writing Practice: Smriti emphasised the importance of answer writing practice right from the early stages of preparation, even before qualifying the Preliminary examination. She dedicated time to practice answering questions, solving previous year’s question papers and refining her writing skills.
- Current Affairs and Self-Written Notes: Staying updated with current affairs was an integral part of Smriti’s preparation. She incorporated current affairs knowledge into her answers. Smriti also highlighted the significance of creating self-written notes, which helped her retain information and serve as a valuable resource during revision.
- Learning from Toppers: Smriti sought guidance from previous year’s toppers, such as Shruti Sharma, by referring to their notes and answer scripts. By analysing the answers of successful candidates, she gained insights into content enrichment, effective examples, and facts that could be used in multiple answers.
- Time Management and Presentation: Smriti allocated approximately 30 minutes for each answer, ensuring that she utilised her time effectively. She employed various techniques like using diagrams, flowcharts, and incorporating quotes and case studies to enhance the presentation of her answers.
- Comparative Analysis: Smriti compared her answers with those of previous toppers and her own previous attempts. This allowed her to identify areas of improvement and refine her writing style accordingly.
- Wide-ranging Study Material: In addition to standard UPSC study material, Smriti also referred to NCERT books, to clear her basics and gain a better understanding of subjects.
Smriti Mishra’s UPSC preparation strategy was marked by consistent practice, in-depth content enrichment, effective time management, and a continuous focus on self-improvement. Her dedication to answering writing and learning from the experiences of previous toppers played a crucial role in her remarkable success.
|UPSC AIR Rank 4 2022 Background|
|Civil Service Exam||2022|
|All India Rank||4|
|Number of Attempts||5|
|UPSC Roll Number||0858695|
To succeed in the Civil Services examination, one must possess determination, unwavering focus, and a strategic and well-organised approach. Completing the UPSC syllabus is very important to perform well in the exam. Aspiring candidates for the UPSC 2023 can refer to the following resources to aid them in their preparation journey.
|Mayur Hazarika (UPSC Topper 2022) AIR 5||Aniruddh Yadav (UPSC Topper 2022) AIR 8|
|Kanika Goyal (UPSC Topper 2022) AIR 9||Ishita Kishore (UPSC Topper 2022) AIR 1|
|UPSC previous year question papers||Zoology Optional Subject|