The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) sets the eligibility criteria for the Group 1 Services Exam (Combined Civil Services Examination – I) in the state.
The General Eligibility Criteria for all TNPSC Exams are:
- Character and Antecedents
- No Bigamy
- Related to applicants already in a government service
- Sound Health etc.
- Age Limit
- Knowledge of Tamil
Candidates should first go through the detailed general eligibility criteria which are given on the TNPSC official website (http://tnpsc.gov.in/) under “Instructions to Applicants”.
For specific exams and posts, the TNPSC eligibility criteria are listed in the official recruitment notification for the exam.
Many aspirants prepare simultaneously for state service exams and UPSC IAS Exam. Candidates can check the IAS Eligibility Criteria at the linked article.
TNPSC Group 1 Eligibility 2020-21
The Eligibility Criteria for TNPSC Group 1 Exam
Age Limit for TNPSC Group 1 Exam:
Name of the Post
|Minimum Age||Maximum Age|
|SCs, SC(A)s, STs, MBCs/DCs, BCs, BCMs and DWs of all categories||
“Others” i.e., applicants not belonging to SCs, SC(A)s, STs, MBCs/DCs, BCs, BCMs
|For all the posts except the post of Assistant Commissioner (Commercial Taxes )||21 years||37 years||32 years|
|Assistant Commissioner (Commercial Taxes)|
|For applicants possessing any degree||21||37||32|
|For applicants possessing B.L. degree of any University or Institution recognized by the University Grants Commission||21||38||33|
- Educational Qualification – Graduate Degree from a recognised University/institution
- Physical Qualification – Specific physical qualifications are mentioned for the posts of DySP and District Officer (Fire and Rescue)
The TNPSC Group 1 Age Limit concession/relaxation details are given below:
|Category||Age Limit Relaxation|
|SC/ SC (Arunthathiyars)||5 years|
|Most Backward Classes/ Denotified Communities||5 years|
|Backward Classes (Other than Muslim)/ Backward Classes (Muslim)||5 years|
|Destitute Widows (All Categories)||5 years|
For differently-abled persons, the age limit relaxation as per TNPSC eligibility conditions is up to 10 years over and above the limit given above.
For Ex-Servicemen, the upper age limit is:
- Open Category – 48 years
- SC/SC(A), ST, MBC/DC, BC/BCM – 53 years
The educational qualification needed for the TNPSC Group 1 exam is a graduate degree from:
- A university incorporated by a Central or State Act or
- An educational institution established by an Act of Parliament or
- A deemed University under Section 3, UGC Act 1956.
Aspirants who are in their final year can also apply for the TNPSC Group 1 Preliminary Exam but they need to submit proof of passing while applying for the Main stage of the exam.
In the TNPSC Eligibility for Group 1 Exam, there is a mention of preferential qualification in case of certain posts.
For e.g., candidates who possess National awards for Physical efficiency will be given preference (other things being equal) for the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police.
Candidates can check the detailed preferential qualifications and the TNPSC posts in the following table.
As per the official notification, the physical fitness criteria are listed here for the TNPSC Group 1 Exam:
|Dy Superintendent of Police||
|District Officer (Fire and Rescue)||
Eligible candidates should go through the TNPSC related articles listed below:
- TNPSC Group 1 Exam Dates 2020-21, Application, Notification, Posts etc.
- TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus – Updated syllabus for Prelims and Mains 2020-21
- TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern – new and updated pattern
- TNPSC Study Material – Notes, books, and daily updated current affairs for civil service exams
- TNPSC Group 1 Result – Latest Prelims, Mains & Final Results.