The West Bengal Civil Services Examination takes place annually or as and when announced by the West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC). The examination is conducted in three stages- Preliminary, Mains and Interview. Candidates taking the exam have to qualify WBCS eligibility criteria set by the commission. Aspirants should first check the WBCS Age Limit before they start applying for the exam.
The details of WBCS 2020 are given in the linked article below:
|WBCS Content||Linked Article|
|WBCS 2020||Click Here|
|WBCS Result||Click Here|
|WBCS Notification||Click Here|
|WBCS Admit Card||Click Here|
|WBCS Syllabus 2020||Click Here|
|WBPSC Exam Preparation 2020||Click Here|
For details of other PSC exams candidates may check the linked article.
WBCS Eligibility 2020
Few major takeaway points from official WBCS notification with respect to eligibility are:
- A candidate must be an Indian citizen (either natural or by registration.)
- The candidate must have good health and character and suitability in all respects for appointment to Government service.
- A candidate should be able to read, write and speak in Bengali (Candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali are excluded)
- Minimum WBCS Age Limit for:
- Group A and C – 21 years
- Group B – 20 years (For West Bengal Police Service only)
- Group D – 21 years
- Maximum WBCS Age Limit for:
- Group A and C – 36 years (As on January 1 of the year of the examination)
- Group B – 36 years (As on January 1 of the year of the examination)
- Group D – 39 years (As on January 1 of the year of the examination)
- Those candidates whose date of birth lies between the 1st January 1999 & the 1st January 2000 [i.e. whose age is between 20 & 21 years as on 01.01.2020] may apply for Group B only.
- Age, as recorded only in the Madhyamik or equivalent certificate, will be accepted.
- The age limits apply to all the candidates whether in Government service or not.
WBCS Eligibility Details
The West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) has stated that a candidate taking the WBCS examination 2020 must have a degree from a recognized university.
Candidates may check below for further details:
The WBCS Eligibility criteria 2020 are on similar lines as that of WBCS 2019 exam. No changes have been made for candidates to apply for the exam.
Choice of Groups of Services and Allotment
As we have mentioned before that WBCS recruits for four groups-A, B, C and D; there are few details that candidates should keep in mind about the WBCS Eligibility criteria:
- Candidates may apply for one or more of the four groups of services.
- All Candidates who get selected in order of merit on the result of the Mains exam will have to appear for the Personality Test.
- There is no separate Personality Test for different groups of services.
- Allotment of candidates takes place with respect to the order of merit and also the vacancies available.
Note by the Commission:
- All appointments are made on a temporary basis in the first instance.
- Candidates are particularly advised to note that unless they indicate a preference for a post or service they shall not be recommended for such post or service even if they may be otherwise eligible for the same on the results of the examination. Belated request for being considered for appointment to such post or service is liable to rejection.
- Candidates suffering from blindness or low vision, locomotor disability/cerebral palsy will be allowed compensatory time of 20 minutes per hour.
- No fee exemption is available to SC/ST/BC candidates of other states.
For further details, candidates may check below:
Special Conditions for WBCS Recruitment
The West Bengal Public Service Commission has mentioned few conditions for various posts under different groups of services.
Some basic conditions are:
- Minimum height requirement for male- 1.65 metres
- Minimum height requirement for female – 1.50 metres
- Races like Gorkhas, Garwalis, Assamese Tribes etc. are subject to height relaxation
An aspirant may find it important to know a few special conditions about WBCS Eligibility:
|WBPSC Post||Special Condition|
|West Bengal Police Service (Group ‘B’ Service)||
|Assistant Canal Revenue Officer||
|West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service||In homes of blind/deaf/dumb- degree or Diploma or Certificate in the training of Blind and / or Deaf and Dumb shall be an essential qualification|
|Male candidates will be unsuitable for the posts meant for institutions for females, and female candidates will be unsuitable for the posts meant for institutions for males.|
|West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service, Grade – I||
For further details you may check below:
The Application Fee:
- Online Payment through debit/credit card- Rs. 210/- only + Service Charge 1% of Examination Fee subject to a minimum of Rs.5/-
- Netbanking- Rs.210/- only+ Service Charge 1% of Examination Fee subject to a minimum of Rs.5/- + Service Charge/ GST as applicable
- Bank Counter (Offline Payment)- Rs.210/- only+ Service Charge 1% of Examination Fee subject to a minimum of Rs.5/- + Service Charge/ GST as applicable/ Service Charge of Rs.20/-
Fee Exemption for following candidates:
- SC/ST candidates of West Bengal.
- Persons with disabilities (PWD) having physical disability of 40% and above.