The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship launched the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) in 2015 administered by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). The Government of India aims to provide the country’s youth with training that will help them achieve meaningful, industry-relevant skills. Government welfare schemes are a significant part of the Social Justice and Indian Polity segments of the UPSC Syllabus for General Studies paper 2.
The topic discussed in this article is important for IAS Exam and other Government Exams. Students preparing for these exams should be aware of the different government schemes for social welfare and development.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) Objective
PMKVY is a Skill Certification Scheme that aims to encourage the youth population of the country to take up training which is Industry- Relevant and builds them in Skill Development. The scheme was launched with an intention to provide secure livelihoods for the individuals participating in the training. PMKVY will also certify the previous learning experiences or skills of the individuals under the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Components of PMKVY
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana has four key components as follows:
|Short Term Training||
● The National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) and different training centres will provide skill development training to the unemployed and school/college dropouts.
● They’ll also grant Soft Skill training, Digital & Financial Literacy sessions, Entrepreneurship, etc. depending upon the requirements of the industry.
● The training provided will be NSQF Level 5 and below.
|Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)||● Individuals having prior learning experiences/skills are certified and assessed under the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
● RPL is a process of assessment of an individual’s prior learning, skills, and experience.
|Special Projects||● This component of PMKVY aims to encourage training in the groups of society that are marginalized and vulnerable.
● These Special projects can be defined as the projects that have some deviation in the Terms and Conditions from the Short Term Training projects.
|Kaushal and Rozgar Mela||● They are events organized every six months in order to provide assistance for individuals who have taken PMKVY training and have been certified.|
|Placement and Monitoring Guidelines||● Creating and Providing placement opportunities to trained and certified individuals.
● Maintaining high-quality training standards through the Skills Development Management System (SDMS).
|Training Partners (TPs)||
● Placement assistance
● Training to NSQF level 5 and below
● Providing support to entrepreneurship development.
PMKVY is administered and implemented by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Along with this, the training providers affiliated with the State or Central government will also provide training under the PMKVY scheme.
- The training providers have to register themselves on the Skill Management & Accreditation of Training Centre (SMART) portal to participate and provide training under the scheme.
- PMKVY training is scrutinized by the Sector Skills Councils and State Governments.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY):- Download PDF Here
|UPSC Notes for Mains Exam||Initiatives under Skill India Mission|
|UPSC Current Affairs||Make in India|
|IAS 2020||NCERT Books PDFs For UPSC|