NCERT notes on important topics for the UPSC civil services exam. These notes will also be useful for other competitive exams like banking PO, SSC, state civil services exams and so on. This article talks about the Importance of Biodiversity.
Role of Biodiversity
The role that biodiversity plays cannot be understated. A slight change in its workings may have both positive and negative impact (mostly negative) on the entire human race.
Importance of Biodiversity
- The concept of biodiversity is an integral part of many human cultures.
- Biodiversity plays the following roles:
- It has contributed in several ways to the development of human culture and, in turn, human communities.
- It has played a major role in shaping the diversity of nature at the genetic, species and ecological levels.
Ecological Role of Biodiversity
- Each organism contributes something of use to other organisms besides extracting its needs.
- The major functions done by species which are important for ecosystem function and human survival are:
- Capture and store energy
- Produce and decompose organic materials
- Help to cycle water and nutrients throughout the ecosystem
- Fix atmospheric gases and help to regulate the climate
- The more diverse an ecosystem, better are the chances for the species to survive through adversities and attacks, and subsequently, is more productive.
- Hence, the loss of species would decline the ability of the system to maintain itself.
- The more the diversity of species in an ecosystem, the more stable the ecosystem is likely to be.
Economic Role of Biodiversity
- Biodiversity is an important resource in their day-to-day life for all humans.
- It is comprehended as a reservoir of resources to be drawn upon for the manufacture of food, cosmetic products, and pharmaceuticals.
- Some of the significant economic commodities that man derives from biodiversity are:
- Food crops
- Medicinal resources
- The vital part of biodiversity is ‘crop diversity’, which is also known as agrobiodiversity.
- This idea of biological resources is accountable for the deterioration of biodiversity.
Scientific Role of Biodiversity
- All species can contribute some evidence to show how life evolved and will continue to evolve.
- Biodiversity helps in sensing how life functions and the role of each species in sustaining ecosystems.
- The level of biodiversity is a good indicator of the state of the relationships of human beings with other living species.
Importance of Biodiversity (UPSC Notes):- Download PDF Here
To know more about the topics for the exam, visit the UPSC Syllabus page now. You cand find more UPSC related preparation materials and articles, with the links given in the table below: