The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) is the conducting body for the Clerical cadre exam. The IBPS is the recruiting body for various bank exams in the Public Sector. The IBPS Clerk Prelim Exam is the start of a journey towards the achievement of the revered designation.
IBPS will hold the Clerk test for the 13th consecutive year in FY 2023–2024, hence the title IBPS Clerk CRP XIII. The preliminary test and the main exam are the two parts of the IBPS Clerk exam. Thus, those who pass both of these exams are chosen for the position. According to the IBPS Calendar 2023, the IBPS Clerk Prelims will be held on August 26, September 2, and October 7 2023 and the IBPS Clerk Mains on October 8, 2023.
|Start your IBPS Clerk Prelims Preparation now with the Free Online IBPS Clerk Mock Test Series!!
Also, ace the preliminary exam with the help of links given below:
For details on other bank exams, refer to the linked article.
According to the IBPS Calendar 2023, the IBPS Clerk Prelims will be held on August 26, September 2, and October 7 2023 and the IBPS Clerk Mains on October 8, 2023.
The total vacancies have been announced by the IBPS for 11 Participating Banks in different states and union territories of the country, in the IBPS Clerk 2023. Last year, 6035 vacancies have been released for the clerical cadre post which is comparatively less in comparison to the last year. In 2020, IBPS released 12,315 vacancies for the post of IBPS Clerk.
Visit IBPS Clerk Vacancy, for further details, in the linked article.
IBPS Clerk Exam Pattern
Candidates have a great opportunity to crack the IBPS Clerk exam if they do serious Preparation for the IBPS Clerk Exam 2023.
There are only two stages which are a part of the IBPS Clerk selection process. This is the:
- Prelims Exam
- Mains Exam
Both the stages are Online Computer Based tests where candidates have to choose the answer from the multiple options given. The detailed exam pattern has been discussed below. Also, interested candidates can visit the IBPS Clerk Prelims page for more information.
The IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam Pattern for the 2023 exam is as follows:
|Section||No. Of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|English Language||30||30||01 Hour|
The IBPS Clerk Mains Exam Pattern for the 2023 exam is as follows:
|Section||No. Of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|General English||40||40||35 minutes|
|General/Financial Awareness||50||50||35 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability & Computer Aptitude||50||60||45 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||45 minutes|
The IBPS Clerk syllabus has all the relevant information related to the various topics mentioned in this article.
IBPS Clerk Prelims – Salient Points
- This phase is only qualifying in nature so the IBPS Clerk prelims preparation must be done with an aim to score as many marks as possible
- There is sectional timing and 20 minutes are devoted to each section in the preliminary exam
- Sectional cut off is also there in each section so candidates need to ensure that they perform equally well in all subjects
- Candidates who qualify in this phase are called for the Mains examination and the marks scored in Mains are evaluated to get the final list of shortlisted candidates
For more details on upcoming bank exams, refer to the linked article.
The links given below will help candidates prepare themselves with their IBPS Clerk Prelims preparation:
|Topics for Quantitative Aptitude||Verbal Ability|
|Logical Reasoning||IBPS Clerk Exam Pattern|
|Tips To Prepare Data Interpretation for Bank Exams||Seating Arrangement|
IBPS Clerk Prelims Preparation Strategy– 8 Important Tips
The IBPS Clerk Exam has a lot of topics to be covered. The important thing related to the exam is the time allotment for each section/Paper.
Candidates to ace time management skills must take IBPS Clerk Mock Tests on a regular basis. Candidates need to do a proper IBPS Clerk Preparation to crack the exam with a great score.
The 8 important IBPS Clerk Preparation tips are as follows:
- Candidates should know everything about the IBPS Clerk Exam. The official IBPS Clerk Notification will fetch them all the relevant details related to the exams.
- Candidates should check the IBPS Clerk Eligibility to know about certain criteria related to them.
- Candidates should be updated with the Exam Pattern and the IBPS Clerk syllabus to get a clear idea on various topics.
- Candidates should understand the IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam Analysis to get an idea related to the difficulty level of the topics in the exam.
- The IBPS Clerk Mains Exam Analysis will help them with a proper preparation strategy and time management for the upcoming exam.
- The important IBPS Clerk books will help them with a planned preparation and a good score ultimately.
- A proper study routine with proper notes and IBPS study material will help them reach their desired endeavours.
- Candidates should practice the numerical and Logical Reasoning section multiple times religiously to improve their solving speed.
- To check their preparation level for the IBPS Clerk exam candidates must take free Online quizzes regularly.
Candidates need to follow these important tips for scoring well in the IBPS Clerk Exam 2023.
For details on the IBPS Clerk Online Application, refer to the linked article.
IBPS Clerk Subject-wise Preparation Tips
The three primary subjects that make up the IBPS Clerk Prelims test will be covered, totalling 100 marks. The final answer to how to ace the IBPS Clerk Prelims in the first attempt depends on how well the candidates are prepared for each of the three areas, English Language, Numerical Ability, and Reasoning Ability. Given below is the preparation strategy for each of the subjects to score well in the IBPS Clerk Prelims examination:
- Reasoning Ability:
- This is the most logical section of the paper and easier to score. However, the candidates need to be very analytical in this section.
- The first thing an aspirant needs to do is go through the syllabus and shortlist the important books to cover all the topics.
- Since this section is purely analytical it is important to practice the questions from this section every day.
- Take one topic, go through the important concepts and solve mock tests and sample papers.
- Solve the mock tests and analyse the mistakes. Revision after completion of every topic is a must to ace this section.
- Some of the important topics of the Reasoning section are:
- Syllogism, Puzzles,
- Seating Arrangement,
- Ranking and Order
Find the list of the IBPS Clerk Exam Centres in the linked article.
- Quantitative Aptitude:
- The section is considered the most challenging section of the IBPS Clerk exam as it involves applying innumerable formulas.
- Calculations are the basis of this subject, so in order to succeed, the student must be strong with numbers and accurate calculations.
- The section is the most scoring of the IBPS Clerk Exam if candidates are well-prepared.
- The best way to prepare this section is by memorising the formulas of each topic by heart.
- Learn tricks and shortcuts to solve problems.
- Revise the formulas regularly and solve questions from topics that you find difficult.
- Practice regularly to master the application of the formulas to solve problems.
- Solve mock tests for each of topic and work on the speed. Improving the speed and accuracy of solving the questions is the only way to excel this section.
- Some of the important topics of the subject are:
- Ratio and Proportion,
- Speed and Distance,
- Time and Work,
- Data Interpretation,
- Number Series,
- Simplification, and
- Quadratic Equation.
Learn 10 Simple Maths Tricks & Shortcuts to speed up your calculation in the exam hall.
- English Language:
- This section tests the basic proficiency of candidates in the English language – vocabulary and basic knowledge of English grammar.
- The students must develop a daily reading and writing routine to prepare for this section. This helps with vocabulary as well as grammar and syntax. It also helps to increase the reading speed. Regularly read magazines and newspapers and jot down new words.
- Review all of the fundamental grammatical principles, then put them to use in written and verbal communication.
- Solve practice questions regularly.
- This section emphasises on vocabulary, antonyms, synonyms, grammar, error-detection, para jumbles, idioms, phrases, reading comprehension, fill in the gaps and sentence reconstruction.
For more details on other aspects of the IBPS Clerk Admit Card, refer to the linked article.
Although IBPS Clerk Prelims exam preparation involves the preparation of three subjects majorly, candidates must be prepared for the Mains exam as well in advance, as it is not sufficient to prepare for the Mains exam after the prelims. There is a window of almost a month between the prelims result and the Mains exam. Thus given below is the way to approach the other areas which are asked in the IBPS Clerk Mains exam, in addition to the above three sections.
Candidates must prepare themselves with these sections well in advance along with the preparation of the IBPS Clerk Prelims.
- Computer Aptitude:
- Comparatively speaking, this section is simpler and involves the understanding of computer hardware and software.
- The section tests the candidates’ basic knowledge of computers and the questions asked are also simpler.
- It is a good idea to become familiar with all of the computer acronyms and shortcuts for this area.
- Among the most important topics are MS Office Fundamentals, Operating System Functions, Basic Internet Knowledge and Protocols, and Computer Fundamentals.
- Spending just one hour daily would be enough to finish this section.
Also, find the IBPS PO Preparation tips in the linked article.
- Financial and General Awareness:
- This is one of the easiest sections to score well in the IBPS Clerk Exam, it doesn’t call for any special strategies.
- This segment does not require more than daily newspaper reading and keeping up with news via television or social media.
- Candidates who are applying must be informed of all societal, financial, and economic developments taking place both domestic and international.
- It is important to emphasise the banking and insurance-related information and abbreviations while preparing this topic.
- Apart from the important banking terms, the section can be prepared by reading the current affairs of the last six months.
It is crucial that the candidates make the most of their time by practising more and preparing more effectively rather than going over everything repeatedly. To evaluate themselves before the exams, they must register for the different online mock exams and sample papers that are offered online.
To learn How to Crack Bank Clerk Exam on First Attempt, check the linked article.
IBPS Clerk Preliminary Exam Preparation: Topic Wise Analysis and Weightage
Given below is the analysis of the IBPS Clerk Prelims 2023 exam, based on the questions which were asked. The analysis will help the candidates to score well in the exam and attempt the paper better.
|Topics||Difficulty Level||No of Questions Asked|
|Topics||Difficulty Level||No of the questions asked|
|Boat and stream||Easy-Moderate||2|
|Miscellaneous (Average, Time & Work, Profit & Loss)||Easy-Moderate||15|
|Speed, Time, and Distance||Easy||1|
|Topics||Difficulty Level||No of Questions Asked|
Candidates who wish to check the detailed Clerk and other IBPS exam schedules can visit the IBPS Exam Dates page.
IBPS Clerk Prelims Preparation: Best Books
To prepare for any competitive exam, it is extremely important that candidates study from the right sources. It is wise to buy the best-recommended books for the IBPS Clerk exam as they help prepare better in less time. For general preparation, look at the expert-recommended reading list for each of the three Prelims sections in the table below.
|IBPS Clerk Prelims Preparation: Best Books|
|Reasoning Ability||A New Approach to Reasoning, Verbal and Non-Verbal||B.S. Sijwali, Indu Sijwali|
|Analytical Reasoning||M. K. Pandey|
|Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-verbal Reasoning||R.S. Agarwal|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Objective Mathematics||Tarun Goyal|
|Data Interpretation||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude||R.S. Agarwal|
|English Language||Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|Objective General English||Arihant Publications|
|High School English Grammar and Composition||Wren and Martin|
Find the detailed list of IBPS Clerk books, in the link attached.
With IBPS Clerk is one of the largest exams conducted in the banking sector, the number of applicants each year are also extremely high. Thus, candidates who aspire to crack the upcoming clerical cadre exam must start their IBPS Clerk Prelims preparation now.
The preparation tips given in this article shall help candidates prepare themselves for the clerical cadre recruitment 2023 and for any further information regarding the exam or study material, candidates can turn to BYJU’S for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions on IBPS Clerk Prelims Preparation
Q 1. Is the IBPS Clerk Prelims exam easy to crack?
Q 2. Can I crack the IBPS Clerk exam with 30 days of preparation?
Q 3. What are the best tips to prepare for the IBPS Clerk prelims exam?
Ans. Given below are the best tips for IBPS Clerk prelims preparation:
- Solve mock tests and sample papers
- Analyse the syllabus and exam pattern
- Focus on common topics based on the previous year’s question paper review
- Give priority to Time Management
- Equal dedication for each section as there is a sectional cut off
- Refer to previous year cut off marks to estimate the qualifying marks for the upcoming exam