The IBPS Clerk prelims exam is the first phase of the examination conducted to recruit candidates in clerical cadre for various participating IBPS Banks.
The IBPS preliminary examination for appointing clerks is an online computer based exam which is a medium to shortlist candidates for the final phase of examination.
It is the qualifying level of examination and the candidates who manage to score the minimum qualifying marks in the prelims exam are invited for the IBPS Clerk mains examination.
|Prepping up for the IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam 2023??
Test your preparation with the Free Online IBPS Clerk Mock Test series based on the latest IBPS Clerk prelims syllabus and exam pattern.
Also, refer to the links given below and ace the upcoming clerical cadre exam:
There are close to twenty Public Sector Banks which participate in the IBPS Clerk recruitment every year. This is why lakhs of candidates appear for the clerical cadre exam and look forward to pursue a career in the banking sector.
In this article, we shall discuss in detail the IBPS Clerk prelims exam along with the preliminary exam syllabus and the other related information.
IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam Pattern
The IBPS Clerk prelims exam is not a very lengthy one. It is a 60 minute exam with 100 questions divided into three sections. The three sections being:
- Reasoning Ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language
Given below is the IBPS Clerk prelims exam pattern in brief for the reference of candidates:
|IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam Pattern|
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time Duration|
|English Language||30||30||20 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude||35||35||20 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 minutes|
Aspirants can know more about the IBPS Clerk exam at the linked article.
Candidates can get the detailed section-wise syllabus for the three major subjects which are a part of the IBPS Clerk prelims exam in the links given below:
To understand the exam pattern for the IBPS Clerk prelims exam candidates can also refer to the exam analysis and scrutinize the level of exam and the type of questions asked in the exam. Given below are the links that may prove to be helpful:
IBPS Clerk Prelims Syllabus
The IBPS Clerk prelims syllabus is vast and candidates who are preparing for the upcoming IBPS Clerk exam start their preparation and make sure that they cover each topic under each section of the preliminary examination.
The table given below gives the detail IBPS Clerk Prelims syllabus for the reference of candidates:
|IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam Syllabus|
|English Language||Reasoning Ability||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Reading Comprehension||Puzzles||Data Interpretation|
|Cloze Test||Seating Arrangement||Profit & Loss|
|Fill in the Blanks||Logical Reasoning||Percentage|
|Phase Replacement||Blood Relations||Simple and Compound Interest|
|Match the Columns||Syllogism||Number System|
|Sentence Rearrangement||Direction Test||Average|
|Jumbled Words||Alphanumeric Series||Mensuration|
|Error Spotting||Statement & Conclusion||Probability|
|Antonyms & Synonyms||Statement & Assumption||Permutation & Combination|
|Phrases & Idioms||Coding & Decoding||Pipes and Cisterns|
|Direct & Indirect Speech||Number Ranking||Speed, Distance & Time|
|Active & Passive Voice||Work & Time|
|Cube Root & Square Root|
|Ratio & Proportion|
|Upstream & Downstream|
|Mixture & Allegations|
|Wrong Number Series|
|Missing Number Series|
|Age Based Word Problems|
|Train Based Word Problems|
Aspirants who wish to know the syllabus for the mains level of the exam as well, can visit the IBPS Clerk syllabus for details.
For information regarding General English for Competitive Exams, candidates can visit the linked article.
It must also be noted that the syllabus for most bank exams is almost the same, so candidates who are preparing for any other exam in the banking sector can get the detailed bank exam syllabus in the linked article.
IBPS Clerk Prelims – Points To Remember
While candidates are preparing for the IBPS Clerk exam, there are certain points that need to be kept in mind while preparing for the prelims examination:
- Negative Marking – There is a penalty of 0.25 marks for every wrongly answered question. So ensure that you only attempt questions which you are sure of and do not make guesses
- Sectional Cut Off – There is sectional cut off in the IBPS Clerk prelims exam. Candidates need to secure the overall qualifying marks and also attain the minimum qualifying marks for each section separately to get shortlisted for mains. Candidates can check the previous year IBPS Clerk cut off for prelims at the linked article
- Sectional Time – 20 minutes are allotted to solve each section in the IBPS Clerk prelims exam. Once the 20 minutes slot is over, candidates cannot revisit the questions from that section
- Only Qualifying in Nature – One of the most important things that need to be kept in mind is that the IBPS Clerk prelims is only qualifying in nature and the marks scored in the prelims exam are not included in calculating the final merit of the candidates
Candidates who are willing to apply for the IBPS Clerk 2023, can check the IBPS Clerk exam dates at the linked article and prepare themselves accordingly.
The candidates who manage the qualify the IBPS Clerk prelims are shortlisted for the mains examination. Two extra subjects are included in the mains syllabus: Computer Awareness and General Knowledge.
To prepare for the General Knowledge section, candidates can refer to the banking awareness page for preparation.
IBPS Clerk Prelims Preparation
The preparation for the IBPS Clerk prelims is comprehensive as the syllabus is vast. Candidates must keep a few points in consideration while preparing for the IBPS Clerk prelims exam 2023:
- Strategize a study plan and follow it rigorously to prepare for the examination
- Ensure that you have sufficient study material and notes to prepare yourself for the exam. Check out the best IBPS Clerk Books to prepare for the prelims exam at the linked article
- Solve mock tests, practise papers and previous year question papers to analyse and understand the prelims exam well
- Carefully go through the syllabus and ensure that no topic is skipped from preparation
Candidates can check the tips to prepare for IBPS Clerk prelims at the linked article.
|IBPS Clerk Eligibility||IBPS Clerk Exam Pattern||IBPS Clerk Notification|
|IBPS Clerk Result||IBPS Clerk Admit Card||SBI Clerk Syllabus|
|IBPS Clerk Apply Online||English Language Syllabus for IBPS Clerk Prelims||Bank Clerk|