The IBPS Specialist Officers Exam is conducted to recruit officers for highly technical or specialized roles in public sector banks. This article will discuss the detailed IBPS SO Syllabus and the changes done in IBPS SO exam pattern by IBPS.
The IBPS SO Exam Pattern had been slightly changed in 2019 and the same pattern is expected to be followed for the 2023 recruitment as well. Candidates preparing for the IBPS SO exam can visit the linked article and know more about the upcoming examination.
|Analyse the IBPS SO Syllabus & Exam Pattern and start your preparation for the upcoming Specialist Officer exam with the Free Online IBPS SO Mock Test Series.
Also, refer to the links below and excel in the examination:
The roles which successful candidates in this bank exam can get are:
- Information Technology Officer
- Agriculture Officer
- Rajbhasha Adhikari
- Law Officer
- Human Resources/Personnel Officer
- Marketing Officer
The IBPS SO Syllabus is almost similar to the bank probationary officer’s syllabus. The syllabus also consists of professional knowledge, specific to each post.
IBPS SO Syllabus 2023 – Download PDF Here
For more details on upcoming bank exams, refer to the linked article.
IBPS SO Exam Pattern
The IBPS has introduced a new Exam Pattern for the SO exam.
The IBPS SO 2021 Exam will be conducted in the following three phases:
- Preliminary Exam
- Mains Exam
The latest changes in the IBPS SO Exam Pattern is as follows:
- The exam will be conducted in three phases: Preliminary, Mains and Interview Process.
- IBPS has introduced separate sectional timing for each section in the Prelims Exam.
- The IBPS SO preliminary examination has a total duration of 120 minutes and 40 minutes for each section.
- Candidates have to appear for the Prelims first and the shortlisted students post the Prelims Exam will be eligible for the Mains Exam.
- The score of Preliminary Exam will not be considered for the final allotment.
- The final selection will be based on the Mains Exam and Interview Process.
- The Mains Examination will contain questions only from Professional Knowledge Subjects.
Aspirants who are looking to get a job in the banking sector can know more about the various bank exams conducted in the country at the linked article.
The IBPS SO Exam pattern is given below:
IBPS SO Exam Pattern for Prelims
|IBPS SO Exam Pattern- Subject||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|English Language||25||40 minutes|
|General Awareness with Special Reference to the Banking Industry (For Law and Rajbhasha)||50||40 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude( For IBPS SO I.T officer, Agriculture, HR/Personnel and Marketing)||50||40 minutes|
IBPS SO Exam Pattern for Mains
|IBPS SO Exam Pattern- Subject||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|Professional Knowledge (Objective for Law, I.T, HR, Marketing, Agriculture)||60||45 minutes|
|Professional Knowledge (Objective for Rajbhasha)||60||30 minutes|
|Professional Knowledge (Descriptive for Rajbhasha)||30 minutes|
IBPS SO Syllabus Prelims
The IBPS SO syllabus gives an insight into the relevant topics to be covered.
The IBPS SO Syllabus for Prelims is almost similar to the IBPS PO Syllabus.
The detailed IBPS SO Syllabus for Prelims is given below:
|English Language:||Reasoning Ability||Quantitative Aptitude||General Awareness, Economy and Banking Knowledge|
Cloze Test(Fill in the blanks)
Multiple Meanings(Contextual Usage)
Picture Series Puzzles
Assertion and Reason
Statement, Argument and Assumption
|Simplification and Approximation
Profit and Loss
Simple and Compound Interest
Surds and Indices
Mensuration: Cylinder, Cone, Sphere and Cuboid
Ratio And Proportion
Series and Sequences
Permutation and Combination
Measures of Central Tendency and Variation
Current Events of National and International Importance with focus on financial news
General Knowledge on various topics of importance to financial institutions
As we can see from the above lists, the syllabus is the same as the IBPS PO Prelims syllabus. The major difference between the two syllabi is at the Main examination stage. We will discuss it in the next section of this article.
IBPS SO Mains Syllabus
The IBPS SO Mains syllabus consists of subjects related to the specialization which the candidate has applied for. The IBPS SO Syllabus for Mains is not specified in particular by the Institute/conducting body.
These topics are listed after extensive analysis of past years’ IBPS SO Exam Papers. The detailed IBPS SO Syllabus for each specialisation is summarised in the following paragraphs.
IBPS SO Syllabus for IT Officer Scale I
The IBPS SO IT Officer syllabus for Scale I consists of the following topics:
- Database Management Systems
- Data Communication and Networking
- Operating Systems
- Software Engineering
- Data Structures
- Embedded Systems and Microprocessors
- Computer Organization
- Object-Oriented Programming
IBPS SO Syllabus for Agriculture Officer
The IBSP SO Agriculture Officer syllabus for Scale I consists of the following topics:
- Basics of Crop Production and Horticulture
- Agronomy, Irrigation and Seed Science
- Agricultural Economics and Practices
- Soil resources
- Animal Husbandry
- Government Schemes related to Agriculture
IBPS SO Syllabus for Marketing Officer
The IBPS SO Marketing Officer Syllabus covers a large number of topics.
These are as follows:
- Basics of Marketing Management
- Brand Management
- Advertising, Public Relations and Sales
- Retail Business
- Business Ethics
- Market Segmentation
- Market Research and Forecasting
- Product Life Cycle Management
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Marketing Strategies in Services Marketing
IBPS SO Syllabus for Law Officer
The IBPS Law Officer syllabus is as follows:
- Banking Regulations
- Compliance and Legal Aspects
- Relevant Law and Orders related to negotiable instruments, securities, foreign exchange
- Prevention of Money-laundering, Limitation Act
- Consumer Protection Act
- Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act
- Banking Ombudsman
- Laws and Actions with a direct link to Banking Sector
- Bankers Book Evidence Act
- Debt Recovery Tribunals Act
IBPS SO Syllabus for HR/Personnel Officer
The following topics form the syllabus for HR/Personnel officers for IBPS SO exam:
- Human Resource Development
- Business policy and strategic analysis
- Transnational Analysis
- Training and Development
- Recruitment and Selection
- Rewards and Recognition
- Business Policy and Strategic Analysis
- Grievance and Conflict Management
- Performance Management and Appraisals
IBPS SO Syllabus for Rajbhasha Adhikari
The Rajbhasha Adhikari primarily deals with Hindi communications, advertising material and associated documents handled by the bank.
The topics covered in the Rajbhasha Adhikari syllabus are as follows:
- Error Correction
- Fill in The Banks
- Reading Comprehension
- Letter Writing
- Essay Writing
The IBPS SO syllabus is generally at the standard of an average graduation degree.
Aspirants can check the Letter Writing Format for the IBPS SO exam at the linked article.
Candidates can use relevant textbooks to prepare for this exam. They can also take regular IBPS SO Mock Tests for comprehensive preparation.
IBPS SO Syllabus 2021 – Download PDF Here
Specialised IBPS SO books should also be studied to maximise the chances of success in the exam.
|IBPS SO Exam Dates||IBPS SO Notification|
|Salary Range for Bank Posts||Blood Relation in Logical Reasoning|
My age 25/7/2000 can I write ibps so exam . wich book is best to refer.