Biotechnology is the study of living organisms. It is an application of biology and different other techniques to change or to modify products for specific human use. Biotechnology is also known as biological technology.
Biotechnology plays a very important role in human welfare and has revolutionized mankind since its existence. It contributes much towards the human’s welfare and their health needs.
Few of them are listed below:
- The application of biotechnology in agriculture field helps in improving food quality, quantity, and processing.
- Bio-fertilizers and Bio-pesticides are eco-friendly sources for agriculture, which contains the living microorganisms that help in promoting growth by increasing the supply or availability of primary nutrients.
- Farmers choose biotech crops to increase the yield and in lower production costs.
- It helps in providing an effective and prevention treatment measures for different disease by its inventions of novel drugs and recombinant vaccines.
- The Therapeutic proteins have a greater effect against a variety of non-communicable diseases, which was responsible for over 50-60% of deaths in developing countries
- With the help of modern biotechnology, many diagnostic tools have been introduced for the detection of diseases in a quick and accurate manner.
- Biotechnology develops the process of micro-propagation systems – a traditional method of plant breeding for producing many new plant species and of new varieties with highly desirable characteristics.
- Productions of genetically engineered plants and of new plant varieties with highly desirable characteristics have been produced.
- Biotechnology has played a significant role in improving human health by producing enriched nutrients food products such as Golden Rice, potato maize, groundnuts, and soybean etc.
- Biotechnology is also involved in controlling the environmental pollution through biodegradation of potential pollutants, recycling of wastes and other waste treatment technologies.
Biotechnology has been playing a dynamic role in improving the challenges regarding human health and their welfare. There are many more research and investigation processes carried out for improving the future technologies.
This was a brief introduction to Biotechnology and its importance to humans. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about Biotechnology, its research, and its importance to human welfare.