An Environment is everything that is around us, which includes both living and nonliving things such as soil, water, animals and plants, which adapt themselves to their surroundings.
The environment plays an important role in the existence of life on the planet earth. The word Environment is derived from the French word “Environ” which meaning “surrounding.” An ecosystem refers to all the living and the non-living things present in the environment and it is a foundation of the Biosphere, which determines the health of the entire planet earth.
Ecology and Environment science are the branch of life science which mainly deals with the study of organisms, the impact of the environment on them, and their impact on the environment.
Types of Ecosystem
There are two main types of ecosystem. Listed below are the types and examples of the ecosystem.
- Natural ecosystem – It is a naturally produced biological environment found in nature. It includes deserts, forests, grasslands, lakes, mountains, ponds, rivers, oceans, etc.
- Artificial ecosystem – It is an artificial environment which is created and maintained by man. It includes an aquarium, crop fields, gardens, parks, zoo etc.
The components of the environment are mainly divided into two categories.
- Biotic environment–It includes all living organisms such as animals, birds, forests, insects, reptiles, and microorganisms like algae, bacteria, fungus, viruses, etc.
- Abiotic environment— It includes all non-living components such as air, cloud, dust, land, mountains, rivers, temperature, humidity, water, water vapour, sand, etc.
Importance of Environment
Environment plays an important role in healthy living and the existence of life on planet earth. Earth is a home for different living species and we all are depended on the environment for food, air, water, and other needs. Therefore, it is important for every individual to save and protect our environment.
Impacts of Human activities on the Environment
There are different types of human activities which are directly attributed to the environmental disasters, which includes- acid rain, acidification of oceans, change in the climate, deforestation, depletion of an ozone layer, disposal of hazardous wastes, global warming, overpopulation, pollutions, etc.
- What is a Natural Ecosystem?
- Why is the ecosystem important?
- Why should we conserve biodiversity short answer?
This was a brief introduction to Our Environment. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about Environment, Environmental Issues, Ecosystem, Components of the Environment, and other related topics @ BYJU’S Biology