What is the Environment?
An Environment is everything that is around us, which includes both living and nonliving things such as soil, water, animals and plants, which adapt themselves to their surroundings. It is nature’s gift that helps in nourishing life on the earth.
The environment plays an important role in the existence of life on the planet earth. The word Environment is derived from the French word “Environ” which meaning “surrounding.” An ecosystem refers to all the living and the non-living things present in the environment and it is a foundation of the Biosphere, which determines the health of the entire planet earth.
Ecology and Environmental science are the branches of life science, which mainly deal with the study of organisms and their interactions among organisms and their environment.
Types of Ecosystem
There are two main types of ecosystem. Listed below are the types and examples of the ecosystem.
- Natural ecosystem – It is a naturally produced biological environment found in nature. It includes deserts, forests, grasslands, lakes, mountains, ponds, rivers, oceans, etc.
- Artificial ecosystem – It is an artificial environment which is created and maintained by man. It includes an aquarium, crop fields, gardens, parks, zoo, etc.
The components of the environment are mainly divided into two categories.
- Biotic environment–It includes all living organisms such as animals, birds, forests, insects, reptiles and microorganisms like algae, bacteria, fungus, viruses, etc.
- Abiotic environment– It includes all non-living components such as air, cloud, dust, land, mountains, rivers, temperature, humidity, water, water vapour, sand, etc.
Also refer: Biotic and Abiotic components
Importance of Environment
Environment plays an important role in healthy living and the existence of life on planet earth. Earth is a home for different living species and we all are dependent on the environment for food, air, water, and other needs. Therefore, it is important for every individual to save and protect our environment.
Impact of Human Activities on the Environment
There are different types of human activities which are directly attributed to the environmental disasters, which include- acid rain, acidification of oceans, change in the climate, deforestation, depletion of an ozone layer, disposal of hazardous wastes, global warming, overpopulation, pollution, etc.
Also read: Environmental Issues and Solutions
- What is a Natural Ecosystem?
- Why is the ecosystem important?
- Why should we conserve biodiversity short answer?
This was a brief introduction to Our Environment. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about Environment, Environmental Issues, Ecosystem, Components of the Environment and other related topics at BYJU’S Biology