Glass is a material which shows softness on heating and can be made into the desired shape. Glass is used in manufacturing laboratory equipment, marbles, paperweights, mirrors, decorative articles, windows and TV screens. Glass is a transparent material which acquires various colors by the addition of electrically charged ions that are distributed evenly. Let us learn how the glass is drawn into a jet shape.
To know the basic techniques of drawing a glass tube into a jet shape.
- 20-25 cm long glass tube
- Triangular file
- Bunsen Burner
- Select a glass tube of your desire with an appropriate diameter for drawing into a jet.
- Cut the glass tube to the required length with the help of a triangular file.
- Using the hottest portion of the Bunsen burner flame heat the tube by holding it at both the ends.
- Gently rotate the tube until the portion which is in contact with the flame becomes red hot and softens.
- Remove the glass tube from the flame and pull the ends apart slowly and smoothly until it becomes narrow in the middle and then stretches into a fine jet.
- Cut the tube in the middle and rub the ends using sandpaper and do the fire polishing till the ends are smooth.
|Also Read: Drawing Out A Glass Jet Viva Questions|
Precautions to be taken during the experiment:
- Gently pull the softened part of the glass tube so that it is evenly thin.
- Do not touch the red hot portion of the tube since it will be too hot and might cause injury.
Also Read: Boring a Cork
Frequently Asked Questions on Drawing Out A Glass Jet
Why is it required to round off the freshly cut edges of the glass tube or the glass rod?
The rough edges might cause injury while handling, hence for the safety and look ,edges of the glass tube or rod are rounded off.
Mention the various steps which are involved in drawing a glass tube into a jet?
- Selecting the ideal tube
- Heating the centre of the glass tube
What type of glass is preferred for drawing out a jet?
Soda-lime glass is used in drawing out a jet
Why is the glass tube of small diameter chosen for drawing out a jet ?
Since a larger diameter tube has to be stretched too far, the glass tube of small diameter is chosen.
Which type of glass is preferred in this process ?
Soda lime glass.