What Is Ferrous Sulfate?
Ferrous sulfate is an iron salt with the chemical formula FeSO4.
Ferrous sulfate is an iron salt popularly known as green vitriol. Imferon and iron dextran are injectable iron. Ferrous fumarate, ferrous gluconate, and ferrous sulfate are generic names for oral iron. Ferrous sulfate is by far the best and cheapest for iron supplement.
It is formed when iron filings are mixed into a solution of copper sulfate, iron pushes the copper since it is more reactive and takes its place resulting in the formation of iron sulfate.
Other names – Iron(II) sulfate, Iron sulfate, Iron(2+) sulfate
|Molecular Weight/ Molar Mass||151.908 g/mol|
|Boiling Point||>300 °C|
|Melting Point||56-64 °C|
Ferrous Sulfate Structure – FeSO4
Physical Properties of Ferrous Sulfate – FeSO4
|Appearance||Blue-green powder or crystals|
|Hydrogen Bond Acceptor||4|
|Solubility||Soluble in water.|
Chemical Properties of Ferrous Sulfate – FeSO4
1. Ferrous sulfate reacts with aluminium under displacement reaction forming aluminium sulfate and metallic iron. The chemical reaction is given below.
2Al + 3FeSO4 → Al2(SO4)3 + 3Fe
2. Ferrous sulfate reacts with potassium permanganate in the presence of sulfuric acid forms ferric sulfate, manganese sulfate, potassium sulfate, and water.
10FeSO4 + 2KMnO4 + 8H2SO4 → 5Fe2(SO4)3 + 2MnSO4 + 8H2O + K2SO4
Uses of Ferrous Sulfate – FeSO4
- Used as iron supplements are indicated in patients with diseases caused by iron deficiency.
- Used in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia, prophylaxis for iron deficiency in pregnancy.
- Used in precaution if sedation or general anesthesia is required; risk of the hypotensive episode.
- Ferrous sulfate can also be used with chlorine. This treatment is normally known as chlorinated copperas treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of ferrous sulfate?
Myoglobin helps to store oxygen in the muscle cells. Ferrous sulfate is a mineral important to the body. Ferrous sulfate is used to treat anemia of iron deficiency, which is a shortage of red blood cells caused by too little iron in the body. Ferrous sulfate can also be used for uses other than those specified in this drug guide.
What is the difference between ferrous iron and ferric iron?
Ferric means that the iron atom has lost three electrons to make up Fe+3, and the iron atom has lost two electrons to form Fe+2.
Why is iron called ferrous?
Typically, “ferrous” means “containing iron” The term originates from the Latin word ferrum (“iron”). Ferrous metals include steel and pig iron (with a few per cent carbon content) and iron alloys with other metals (such as stainless steel).
Which form of iron is more readily absorbed?
Heme iron is easier to consume, and is therefore a major source of dietary iron for people with and without hemochromatosis. Non-heme iron is typically consumed less readily than heme iron.
What are the advantages of ferrous metals?
While its lighter it still has strong tensile strength. Many benefits of his metal are its high electrical current conductivity (i.e. copper), its corrosion resistance (i.e. zinc) and its close tolerance to magnetic force. Those metals are converted into either finished goods or intermediate metals.