Chemistry test is on its way and you have no idea how to handle the periodic table. There’s some good news. This post focuses on how to memorize the periodic table. With some time at your hand and dedication to pair with it, I’m sure this article will see you through. So let’s start!
Table of Contents
How to begin?
- Print the periodic table out (possibly more than one copy) and stick it around your space. If you’re a visual learner draw what you see onto a sheet, this would help you incredibly. The chart that you have made will have more relatability.
- Break the periodic table into small sections – Divide it into type and colour to find patterns that you may remember.
- Go back to it when you’re free – In the time you have when you’re doing not much else pick up the periodic table and give it a look. Do not give up on it. Stay dedicated.
Mind tricks to help
- Create relations – Try to remember the element with the help of a background story. Try to establish relations between elements and things that would help you remember them.
- Mnemonic Devices – Use words that you’ll be able to associate with the elements. You can create something that rhymes or reads like a string.
- Make use of pictures – Pictures can be used to associate elements. How do you know that A stands for Apple? It’s just your brain associating the alphabet with the word.
- Make use of songs – You can put the name of elements into songs and then sing it to memorize them.
Finding patterns and origin
- Keep in mind the Latin names – The Latin names are difficult to keep in mind and thus can be made as milestones that you would remember at any point in time.
- Keep in mind the difference between the names
- You can use flashcards to memorize the periodic table.
Memorizing the periodic table is important because it is organized and gives a lot of information about elements. Also, it makes students understand how elements relate to one another.
- It is used to predict the properties of every element.
- Groups and periods give information about the elements sharing similar characteristics.
- The periodic table provides significant information which can be used in balancing chemical equations.
These were some tricks and tips that can be used to remember and understand the Periodic table. To learn more about the Periodic Table and the various elements in it visit us at byjus.com or download our BYJU’S – The Learning App.
Frequently asked questions
Name the smallest element as per the periodic table.
Helium is the smallest element as per the periodic table.
Name the largest element as per the periodic table.
Francium is the largest element as per the periodic table.
Name the different groups of elements in the periodic table.
Metals, non-metals, and inert gases are the three groups in which the elements of the periodic table are divided.