What is Sustainable Development
Sustainable development is referred to as the idea that human beings should sustain by meeting their basic needs, while also making sure that the future generations are able to meet their basic needs.
In other words, it is a way of organising the society by which it can exist for a long duration without compromising on the availability of resources for future generations.
For sustainable development, factors such as preserving the environment and natural resources along with maintaining social and economic equality need to be followed.
This concept is not new, it has been followed by many cultures over the course of history with an aim of maintaining a balance between man and nature as well as economy.
The concept of sustainable development can be also referred to as environmentally sustainable economic growth.
Sustainable development looks to create a balance between the economic, environmental and social needs.
Need for Sustainable Development
From the last two or three decades, we have seen that for the sake of economic growth, the health of the environment has taken a toll. As a result, there has been an impact on the environment such as decline in air quality and climate change due to greenhouse gases.
All these factors led to the need for sustainable development, as if left unchecked it can cause irreversible damage to the environment.
Objectives of Sustainable Development
1. Economic Growth: For creating an economy that is sustainable and growing in the right direction.
2. Protecting the Environment: This objective focuses on contribution by humans towards protecting and enhancing the natural environment, by minimising pollution and waste, also working towards reducing the global carbon footprint.
3. Social Inclusion: This objective focuses on providing the facility of housing for future generations and assisting in creating healthy, strong and vibrant global communities.
Importance of Sustainable Development
Following are the importance of sustainable development:
1. Using the available resources judiciously and working towards maintaining the ecological balance.
2.To prevent degradation of the environment and laying emphasis on protecting the environment.
3. To prevent overexploitation of resources.
This concludes the topic of Importance of Sustainable Development, which is an important concept for the students of Commerce. For more of such interesting articles, stay tuned to BYJU’S.