UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES)
The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental institution, owned and managed by its Member States, for the generation and application of early warning information. It was established 0n 30th of April, 2009 and was registered with the United Nations (UN) in July 2009.
Aim of RIMES:
The aim of RIMES is to provide regional early warning services and build the capacity of the Member States in the end-to-end early warning of tsunami and hydro-meteorological hazards.
- The RIMES is an intergovernmental body registered under United Nations.
- It is owned and managed by 45 collaborating countries in Asia Pacific and Africa Region.
- India is chairman of the body.
- It operates from its regional early warning centre located at campus of Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani, Thailand.
- It has evolved from efforts of countries in Africa and Asia in aftermath of 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
India , Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives, Seychelles, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Mozambique, Timor Leste, Mongolia, Lao PDR, Comoros, Cambodia.
Yemen, Vietnam, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Tanzania, Somalia, Russian Federation, Pakistan, Nepal, Myanmar, Mauritius, Madagascar, Kenya, Indonesia, China, Bhutan, Armenia, Afghanistan.
- It seeks to establish regional early warning system within multi-hazard framework for generation and communication of early warning information and capacity building for preparedness and response to trans-boundary hazards.
- It provides information related to Tsunami and extreme weather conditions. It also acts as a test bed for emerging technologies and help to enhance performance.
- It seeks to build capacity and provide actionable warning information towards the forearmed, forewarned and resilient communities.
Key services provided by RIMES:
- Earthquake and Tsunami watch provision
- Seismic deep ocean and sea level monitoring
- Data exchange, data processing and data analysis
- Provision of regional tsunami bulletins and earthquake alerts
- Weather, Climate and Hydrological Research and Development
- Development of new generation risk information projects
- Decision support tool development
- Generation of localized and customized information for contingency planning, logistics planning, resource planning and management
- Capacity Building on End to End early warning
- In-country training of scientists at RIMES regional facility
- Decision support tool development and application
- Audit of early warning systems
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.