More seats proposed for Sikkim Assembly
- They are the indigenous inhabitants of the Himalayan regions of Nepal and India, their ancestral land is called Tamsaling
- Tamang are also a significant minority in Sikkim and Darjeeling District of West Bengal of India as permanent settlers
- They are a Kirati people of Tibetan origin indigenous to the hills and mountainous regions of eastern Nepal between the Arun and Mechi rivers and as far as southern Tibet, Burma, Bhutan and the Indian states of West Bengal (particularly Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Jalpaiguri districts), Sikkim, Assam and Nagaland.
- The name Limbu is an exonym of an uncertain origin.
Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX-17)
- The five-day exercise, conducted under the aegis of Andaman and Nicobar Command, India’s only operational tri-services command included a plethora of elements such as fighters, special forces, naval ships and heavy-lift transport aircraft.
- The main objective of the exercise was to practice & validate procedures and drills of all the Command forces aimed at defending Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- The highlights of the exercise conducted under the aegis of Andaman & Nicobar Command, were fighter ops, night para jumps at sea, slithering of troops from helicopters and amphibious landings of troops by ships.
- The exercise that began on November 20, is critical against the increased Chinese footprint in Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
Multi State Mega Mock Tsunami Exercise 2017
- The Ministry of Home Affairs through National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) conducted a first-of-its-kind multi-State mega mock exercise on tsunami preparedness covering the entire eastern coastline of the country.
- Evacuation drills were conducted in coordination with various agencies, such as Traffic control, Fire Fighting department, Ambulances, Police, Coast Guards, Civil Defense and community stakeholders.
- The exercise is one of the various activities planned on the occasion of the 2nd World Tsunami Awareness Day held on 5th November this year.
- The exercise is significant as India’s eastern coast is susceptible to both cyclones and tsunamis. The region was one of the worst affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004.
- This exercise will go a long way in helping States/UTs in updating their resources, procedures, and plans.
- The Union Government will soon initiate a comprehensive ‘safe city’ plan for women in eight metropolitan cities of the country.
- The plan will serve as robust emergency response system and provides police-verified public transport will come into place
- It will be implemented in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Lucknow, Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
- The initiatives taken by these cities were also discussed in detail. These include ‘Himmat’ app, all women patrol van, ‘Shishtachar’ programme of the Delhi police; ‘Hawkeye’ mobile app; ‘Bharosa’ programme of the Hyderabad police; ‘Suraksha’ app of the Bengaluru police, and ‘Power Angels’ of Uttar Pradesh police
Other issues that were discussed at the meeting:
- 33 per cent reservation for women in police
- Installation of CCTV cameras
- Deployment of women in police stations
- Infrastructure issues, prevention of cybercrime
- Mapping of dark spots and crime-prone locations
- Involvement of educational institutions