GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 2
Topic: International Relations
Minister of Commerce & Industry Suresh Prabhu kick-starts “Make in India: Sweden 2017” with series of industry and government meetings
- Make in India: Sweden 2017, organized by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion in Stockholm, from October 12-13 aims to enhance Indo-Swedish cooperation and explore new areas of partnership.
- The meeting reiterated the dedication to further strengthening of the Indo-Swedish economic relationship and exploring new avenues of collaboration.
- There are huge business opportunities in Maharashtra in Smart Cities.
- We look forward to collaborate with technology providers into solid and liquid waste management.
- It was agreed that India’s rapid growth provides an immense pool of opportunities for Swedish companies.
- The importance of technological cooperation was highlighted with focus on creation of high-technology zones close to forward going universities.
- Importance of fostering an EU-India Free Trade Agreement was discussed, given its potential to open borders and enable products to compete.
- It was agreed that higher economic integration and interdependencies will help resolve global political issues.
- The main highlight of the day was the second edition of the India-Sweden Business Leaders’ Roundtable (ISBLRT) which focused on cooperation between the two countries, progress update of four joint working groups (Digitization, Smart Cities, Defense and Security and Skill Development) and the work plan for the year to come.
Launch of Mobile Health App `MedWatch’ By the Indian Air Force
- On the occasion of its 85th anniversary, the Indian Air Force has launched an innovative mobile health App named `MedWatch’ in keeping with the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Digital India’.
- The concept and content of the App is by the Directorate General of Medical Services (Air) and it has been developed in-house with zero financial outlay by the Directorate of Information Technology (DIT).
- ‘MedWatch’, available on the IAF’s AFCEL network, comprises a host of features that will provide authentic health information to all IAF personnel.
- A Reminder Tool to enable timely immunization for the children of all Air Warriors is an important component of the App. This will directly enable ‘Mission Indradhanush’ of the Govt of India.
NHRC is doing excellent job, says Justice Deepak Misra, Chief Justice of India on the Commission’s 24th Foundation Day
- Chief Justice of India, Mr. Justice Dipak Misra lauded the National Human Rights Commission’s (NHRC) efforts towards promotion and protection of human rights and said that it is doing an excellent job.
- Because of its efforts, awareness about human rights has increased and hence the number of complaints registered with it.
- Supreme Court’s recent judgment recognizing the right to privacy as a human right, Justice Misra said that the range of human rights has been expanding.
- The NHRC and State Human Rights Commissions should seek the courts’ intervention if on an issue of human rights violation the public authorities do not comply with their recommendations.
- By adopting human rights as a way of life, a fundamental change can be brought about to eradicate the scourge of poverty, ignorance, prejudices and discrimination based on sex, caste, religion, disability and other forms in society.
- Justice Dattu highlighted various activities of the Commission and the new initiatives taken as part of its consistent endeavour to make people aware and engage them towards promotion and protection of human rights.
- To strengthen human rights protection mechanism, the Commission has further streamlined the complaint management system and expanded the scope of its activities to maximize its outreach.