Conference of Governors
- The governor’s conference meets annually each meeting extending for two days.
- The president of India is the chairman
- Vice president and PM also attend and other central ministers are also invited depending on agenda
- The agenda of conference consists of items suggested by central govt as well as those sent by individual governors
- The rationale lies in its being sources of information to the central government on matters concerning states.
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, will preside over a two-day Conference of Governors
- This is the 48th such Conference to be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan and the first Conference to be presided over by President Kovind.
- The theme of the opening session will be ‘New India-2022’.
- India will complete 75 years of independence in 2022. ‘New India 2022’ requires a number of initiatives in infrastructure to cater to the needs of citizens of the country.
- To build ‘New India 2022’, emphasis has to be given on various services viz. access to quality education, training and skill development, healthcare, cleanliness, open-defecation free cities and villages, pollution free environment, safety and security of citizens, etc.
India Water Week
- Water is the harbinger and sustainer of all life on the planet, especially the humankind. With the growing population and improvement in economic status, the demand for available water resources is also increasing.
- The government has involved all stakeholders including decision makers, politicians, researchers and entrepreneurs of water resources from India as well as abroad to discuss strategies for managing the demands and supplies in the right manner.
- The first event was organised in New Delhi in 2012 and the theme was ‘Water, Energy and Food Security: Call for Solutions’.
- Fourth India Water week 2016: Water for All: Striving Together
- The India Water Week 2017: Water and Energy for Inclusive Growth
- There will also be an exhibition running in parallel supporting the theme and showcasing the technologies, latest developments and solutions available for the areas in, water and energy.
- Business firms will have the opportunity of direct interactions with thousands of potential clients, highly qualified visitors including decision makers, enormous PR and promotional opportunities, joint ventures, expanding their business in the rapidly growing Indian water market and to increase brand visibility/image.
- The exhibition will provide a unique networking opportunity to the exhibitors for displaying their products and services to the practising water resource professionals from participating countries.
- He was a social activist from India. He worked in the fields of education, health, and rural self-reliance, and has been honoured with the Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
- He established the Chitrakoot Gramodya Vishwavidyalaya here — the country’s first rural university — and was its chancellor.
- Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will attend the inauguration of the birth centenary celebration of Nanaji Deshmukh at IARI at Pusa in New Delhi
- The Prime Minister will release a commemorative postage stamp on Nanaji Deshmukh.
First BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise
- The Government of India has entrusted the responsibility of organizing the First ‘BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017’ to the NDRF.
- The Exercise is being conducted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency from October 10-13, 2017 in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR).
- This Exercise will provide a platform to share the Best Practices on comprehensive aspects of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), strengthening regional response and coordination for Disaster Management among the BIMSTEC nations.
- The main exercise will comprise of Table Top Exercise (TTX), Field Training Exercise (FTX) and After Action Review (AAR).
Indian Railways and German Railways sign Joint Declaration of intent
- A Joint Declaration of Intent was signed between Ministry of Railways and Germany on 10th October,2017 in Rail Bhavan
- This is in regard to carrying out of feasibility study on existing Chennai-Kazipet corridor of Indian Railways by German Railways for increasing the speed of passenger trains to 200 kmph on 50.50 percent cost sharing basis.
- Ministry of Tourism has launched the ParyatanParv ” celebrations
- It aims of drawing attention on the benefits of tourism, showcasing the cultural diversity of the country and reinforcing the principle of “Tourism for All”.
- The programme is being organised by the Ministry of Tourism, in collaboration with other Central Ministries, State Governments and stakeholders
- The feastival will also have cultural performances, crafts bazaar, food court showcasing folk and classical dance and music, handicrafts and handlooms and cuisine from all the states.
- Ministry of External Affairs through Indian Missions Abroad has formulated a well-structured plan to promote Indian tourism to Persons of Indian Origin residing abroad.
Paryatan Parv has various components. They are:
Dekho Apna Desh
This program is designed to encourage Indians to explore their own country. It will include blog competitions, video, photograph and painting competitions. The prime focus is on promoting travel to North Eastern State and Jammu & Kashmir.
Tourism For All
This component is designed to promote tourism events at sites in all the states, nation-wide. The event is designed to encourage people’s participation. Exhibitions showcasing handlooms, handicrafts, cuisine and culture; cultural programmes such as including theatre, dance and music will be organized at all the sites.
Tourism and Governance
Interactive workshops and sessions will be organized with the stakeholders on various themes like “Innovation in tourism”, “Inducting ex-servicemen as service providers for Taxi Operations, “Developing Rural Tourism in locations near established destinations”, “Skill development in tourism sector” etc.
Union Ministry of External Affairs would be organizing outreach programmes in the overseas markets through the Indian Missions with the aim of encouraging people to visit India. It will primarily lay its focus on Persons of Indian Origin who have never visited India.