Monsoon Mission Program
- To build a working partnership between the academic and R&D organisations both national and international and the operational agencies to improve the operational monsoon forecast skill over the country.
- To set up a state of the art dynamic modelling framework for improving the prediction skill of:
- Seasonal and extended range prediction system (16 days to one season)
- Short to medium range prediction system (up to 15 days).
- The National Monsoon Mission after its implementation will help to implement a dynamic prediction system for the prediction of monsoon in all time scales, short range to seasonal time scale at appropriate spatial scales with improved prediction skill.
- The forecasts based on this prediction system will cater to the needs of various sectors like agriculture, water resources management, power generation, disaster management, tourism and transport.
- The App is available on Google Play store and is user friendly.
- It contains various useful features to facilitate retired CAPFs and Assam Rifles personnel to get their genuine grievances redressed, seek skill development training through National Skill Development Corporation under “Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, re-employment and other relevant and important information.
- This mobile App shall also help retired personnel to have better co-ordination with WARB and its field formation at states/UTs and district level.
- It will cater to the general requirements and information of Force personnel i.e. accessibility to details of salary & allowance, GPF subscription, service particulars including posting profile, APAR etc.
National EMF Portal
- Keen to address the concerns arising out of fears over electromagnetic frequency (EMF) exposure due to installation of base stations receivers (mobile phone towers), the government has decided to launch a National EMF portal, which will provide all the relevant data in this regard along with the location of BTS within a certain locality.
What is it?
- An EMF portal aims at providing the reader with information about EMF and its effects on humans, backed by scientific studies.
- The EMF portal provides a public interface where an easy map-based search feature has been provided for viewing the mobile towers in vicinity of any locality.
- The portal also has ‘EMF Overview’ and ‘Learn’ Sections, which provide numerous articles, booklets and videos, to further educate the citizens about EMF and coverage of telecom services.
- The Indian telecom sector has made rapid strides over the last 20 years, and majority of the country’s phone connections are now based on mobile telephony.
- However, this form of connectivity has led to proliferation of cell phone towers across the country and its effect on human beings due to radiation has raised much apprehension. It is now being feared that shortage of towers may hinder India’s overall progress.
- Mobile phone service providers have been facing problems regarding locating their towers, atop of which the receivers are perched.
- Although the government has issued guidelines in this regard to state governments on safety norms and procedures to be followed for setting up towers, people are still hesitant about hiring out their roof tops for locating the BTS.
Pragati – Scholarship for Girls
- To provide encouragement and support to Girl Child to pursue technical education “Pragati Scholarship” has been launched by the Government from the year 2014-15.
The salient features of the “Pragati Scholarship” are as under:
- Number of scholarship per annum: 4000
- One Girl per family whose family income is less than Rs.6 Lakhs per annum
- The candidates will be selected on merit at the qualifying examination
- The candidates should have been admitted to 1st year of the Degree or diploma programme in any of the AICTE approved institute during the academic year 2014-15 through centralized admission process of the State /Central Government.
- Amount of scholarship: Tuition Fee of Rs. 30000/- or at actual, whichever is less and Rs. 2000/- per month for 10 months as incidentals each year.
Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship
- Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship is a special scholarship scheme by UGC, Ministry of Human Resource Development for research in Social Sciences
System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR)
- A Research based initiative of integrating Air Quality with Health Advisories and Food Security. A dedicated Air Quality Information Service for Indian Metropolitan Cites to make India self-sufficient in providing frontier research based Scientific accrediated robust Air Quality Forecasting system.
- One of the major objectives of this project is to increase the awareness among general public regarding the air quality
- The SAFAR system is developed by Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, along with ESSO partner institutions namely India Meteorological Department (IMD) and National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF).
- Tarang Sanchar is a web portal for information sharing on Mobile Towers and Electromagnetic frequency (EMF) Emission Compliance.
- It has been developed in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode by Department of Telecommunications with Industry.
- It allows people to track radiation emitted from mobile towers within a locality and check their compliance with the stipulated norms.
- It is aimed at clearing “myths and misconceptions” about mobile towers and emissions from them.
- In addition to Government to Citizen services, the portal facilitates Government to Business service delivery in a transparent and eco-friendly manner.
- The portal enables a method of maintenance and retention of end-to- end records, including submission of compliance by Telecom Service Providers and paperless processing by TERM cells.
- The Tarang Sanchar portal is a unique initiative and is one of the largest and most complex inter-operator databases of its kind in the world.
- It has the complete collated technical details of over 14.5 lakh base stations spread across the country.
Change in Criteria for inclusion in ST List
The criteria presently followed for specification of a community as a Scheduled Tribe are :
- indications of primitive traits,
- distinctive culture,
- geographical isolation,
- shyness of contact with the community at large,
However, these criteria are not spelt out in the Constitution.
- Only those proposals which have been recommended and justified by concerned State Government / UT Administration can be processed further.
- Thereafter, it has to be concurred with by Registrar General of India (RGI) and National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) for consideration for amendment of legislation.
- The ‘YUVA’ initiative by Delhi Police aims to connect with youth by upgrading their skill as per their competencies. It will help them to get a gainful employment under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna under the Ministry of Skill Development.
- Delhi Police has tied up with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for providing mass job linked skill training for the selected youth.
- National Skill Development Corporation shall be providing skill training to the youth under ‘Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna’ (PMKVY) and CII will provide job linked training through its Sector Skill Councils who are connected to industry and thereby provide job guarantee.
- A detailed exercise was conducted in all 13 districts of Delhi Police to select the youth in the age of 17-25 years for this training belonging to categories such as School dropouts, Juvenile offenders, Victims of crimes and families in dire state due to incarceration of the bread earner of the family, mostly from the underprivileged colonies.
- The youth coming for skill training in a police station building will be a huge step in building up their confidence and faith in police organization and
- It will go a long way in building a positive image of police in the long run.