The mandate of the MGNREGA is to provide at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a financial year to every rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work. Achievements of MGNREGA are given below.
- It is the world’s largest social welfare programme.
- During the previous financial year 2020-21, 11.19 crore persons were provided employment and more than 389.23 crore person-days were generated.
- In the current financial year 2021-22 as of 23.07.2021, 6.51 crore persons have been provided employment and more than 130.9 crore person-days have been generated under Mahatma Gandhi NREGS.
- During the financial year 2020-21, an amount of Rs. 1.11 lakh crore has been released and an amount of Rs. 41,187.06 crore has been released in the current financial year 2021-22 as of 20.07.2021 for the implementation of the programme.
- So far, more than 25 lakh assets have been created in the current FY 2021-22.
- The Act also mandates expenditure of 60% for the creation of assets directly related to agriculture and allied activities through the development of land, water and trees. In the current FY 2021-22, so far, 73% of the expenditure is incurred on agriculture and allied works.
From the above points, it can be assumed that the MGNREGA scheme has successfully managed to lift several lakhs of villagers out of rural poverty.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
- Inclusive Growth, Government Strategy – An Overview
|Who can work in MGNREGA?||What are the main features of MGNREGA?|
|What is the scheme of MGNREGA?||Constitution of India|
|UPSC Preparation Links|
|Constitution Questions for UPSC Mains||Polity Questions for UPSC Mains|
|UPSC MCQ||UPSC Age Limit|
|UPSC 2022||List Of IAS Preparation Articles|