The mandate of the MGNREGA is to provide at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a financial year to every rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work. The core objectives of the MGNREGA are:
- Providing not less than one hundred days of unskilled manual work as guaranteed employment in a financial year to every household in rural areas as per demand, resulting in the creation of productive assets of prescribed quality and durability;
- Strengthening the livelihood resource base of the poor;
- Proactively ensuring social inclusion and
- Strengthening Panchayati Raj Institutions.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
- Inclusive Growth, Government Strategy – An Overview