Main features of MGNREGA:
- Gives legal guarantee of wage employment to the adult members of rural households who are willing to do unskilled manual labour subject to a maximum of 100 days per household
- It is applicable to all villages in the District. Every rural household has the right to register under MGNREGA
- Job cards are issued to every household registered under MGNREGA within 15 days from the date of receipt of the application for the job card registration.
- The registered job cardholders can seek employment by giving a group / individual application. A minimum of 10 job seekers shall apply to sanction a new work under MGNREGA
- The work shall be provided within 5 km jurisdiction from the village
- If the work provided is beyond 5 Kms, the job seekers shall be given 10% of the minimum wages as the additional amount
- State Govt. to pay 25% of minimum wage for the 1st 30 days as compensatory daily unemployment allowance on failure to provide employment for the families demanding the works under MGNREG Act, and half of the wage for the remaining period of the year
- Wages are paid according to State Minimum Wage rate notified under the Minimum Wages Act 1948. The current wage rate is Rs.117/- for all unskilled work and Rs. 120/- for skilled labour.
- Equal payment for men and women
- Wages to be paid within a fortnight
- 1/3 beneficiaries should be women
- Worksite facilities such as creche, drinking water and shade have to be provided
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
- Inclusive Growth, Government Strategy – An Overview